No veggies

Is it possible to get to your goal in a healthy way without eating veggies? I've tried really hard to incorporate them but I just hate the taste.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I eat very little veggies because of crohn's disease and don't have wwight/health issues because of it (though I so take vitamins)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    edited October 2016
    Do you like any of them? Carrots? Corn? Potatoes? Lettuce? Cucumbers? Tomato sauce? Beans? It isn't necessary to like all vegetables, but some are better than none. It is necessary to have some of the nutrients found in plants...

You can eat fruit to make up some of the nutrients, but there is a lot more sugar in fruit, so the calories are higher.
  • courtmper
    courtmper Posts: 14 Member
    I do like potatoes, corn, and green smoothies but I didn't know if that was enough for weight loss. My goal is to lose 20 pounds
  • Well if you can try to find a way to disguise them it may help. I love vegetables in general but sometimes it's good to mix it up. I do pizza veggies sometimes. Simmer them in pizza sauce, then add cheese and maybe pepperoni. But if you can't find a way to stomach them don't force yourself. It's better to enjoy food than it is to try and choke it down.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Are you getting adequate fiber by not having them? There are some super green powders you can get from health food stores that aren't too bad tasting
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    jolive7 wrote: »
    Are you getting adequate fiber by not having them? There are some super green powders you can get from health food stores that aren't too bad tasting

Me I'm on a low fiber/low residue diet as fiber kills my gi system
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    aw. poor veggies. I'll eat yours
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You can lose weight without eating your veggies. I'm glad there are a few you like.

What your veggies give you are loads of vitamins and fiber. So take a multivitamin and benefiber instead. Don't bulk out your diet with fat and carbs to compensate.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    courtmper wrote: »
    I do like potatoes, corn, and green smoothies but I didn't know if that was enough for weight loss. My goal is to lose 20 pounds

To lose weight you simply need to have a consistent calorie deficit over a period of time. Including the vegetables would be good for other aspects of your health.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    I always hated veggies. I ate corn and potatoes but those are basically grains. I tried and finally found a few I can eat and it has definitely helped. Now, you absolutely can lose weight without veggies but they are good for you and make losing weight much easier. Do you like mushrooms? Those are great and very low calorie. Try cauliflower mashed potatoes cooked in chicken broth. I HATE the taste of green veggies but try this. They are actually good. Take fresh green beans (or even asparagus) coated with just a tiny bit of olive oil, season with salt, pepper, garlic, basil, whatever and bake at 400-425 for about 15-20 minutes (until they start to char). Then sprinkle with just a little parmesan and put back in for 4-5 more minutes. The green veggie taste is gone. Once you get used to the idea, try things like putting carrots into stews. Just let them cook till good and soft so they don't have that dreaded stomach turning veggie crunch. Other ways to get veggies and cut calories are things like putting salsa on your eggs instead of cheese. I change it up some but my goto breakfast is chicken breast, mushrooms, and egg whites covered in salsa. I love salsa but it absolutely CANNOT have chunks of onion that go crunch or it ain't going down. You could also try soups with things like spinach cooked in. Keep the pieces small and let them cook in really good and they blend in.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eat your potatoes, corn, and green smoothies.
    You will be fine.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Have you tried zoodles? I got a spiralizer a few weeks ago and I swear, it's life changing. Zoodle spaghetti and meatballs, zoodles caprese, zoodles teriyaki. Options are endless.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    "green smoothie". Make your own. Start with broccoli, add kale, toss in various things to get the macros and flavor you want, then call yourself a nutritional genius.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Veggies might not be necessary for weightloss but as everyone has said they are very good for fibre, keeping you full and for minerals and vitamins.

perhaps try hiding your veggies in foods, for instance I make a slow cooker pulled pork with 2-3 onions instead of one, grated carrots and baby marrow - by the time you eat it you don't even know or taste it.
    Another way is to use a typical french base " mirepoix" to all your recipes - sweat carrots, onion, celery, parsnip (any veggies really) and use this as a base for your stews, bolognaise etc.
    You could also make a massive pot of veggie soup and then blend it so that you don't see the veg.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    I don't eat many vegetables. Very occasionally I will eat some green beans. Other than that, no vegetables. I focus on protein, carbs, fat and fiber. I don't hate them, but I don't love them either. I am no less healthy than if I did eat them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Of course you can, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Personally, I can't imagine life without them. They taste amazing to me and without them my meals would be so tiny I would not be able to keep a deficit. If you are fine with small portions of other foods, why not? If you are worried about vitamins and fiber, you can supplement those.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Weight loss aside, they are good for cell nutrition. There is more to being healthy than just being at a good weight.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    You can hide just about anything in spaghetti sauce. I like to grate up squash or zucchini and cook it down in the sauce. You can't taste it at all.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    I once made a chilli for somebody who NEVER eats vegetables. I mean literally gags at the thought of them. When I make a chilli for myself I include courgette, spinach, peas, green beans, all sorts. I used the same things and blended them into a paste before adding them to the rest of the chilli. My friend ate it all, and said how nice it was. I think at least half of it is a mental battle.