Logging Leftovers

Options
Okay so this morning I had an egg scramble. Two egg whites, plus a scoop of some leftover casserole (spinach, sweet potato, quinoa, and cheese). Now I could have logged the casserole when I originally had it without too much confusion - it'd be a bit of a bit of a pain, but oh well. Weigh the ingredients as you measure them out, log the recipe in MFP, and then log one portion when I ate it, estimating based on what I take out of the dish.

But then once the casserole is like not-quite-half gone after dinner, I put it into a Rubbermaid container in the fridge. And when I scoop some out to put it in the egg scramble this morning, it was definitely less than a serving, but ... half a serving? A quarter? 2/3? At that point - if I'm the least bit honest - I'm not-QUITE-randomly guessing.

I need to start getting back to logging, but when it comes to using my leftovers, I'm kind of at a loss. Do you all just portion your leftovers out and wrap them separately or something?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder for recipes. Then I use that recipe for leftovers too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder and a food scale.
  • miaow828
    miaow828 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I'm in that situation, I've gotten good at estimating measurements for the main foods in the dish. I will add tablespoons of etc for example.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If it is a casserole or crock pot meal, I use the recipe builder, then after I cook it, I dump it into a bowl on the scale and weigh it in grams. Then I divide the grams by servings and put a sticky note on the leftover container with the gram serving size. That way I know how much to weigh out per serving.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If it is a casserole or crock pot meal, I use the recipe builder, then after I cook it, I dump it into a bowl on the scale and weigh it in grams. Then I divide the grams by servings and put a sticky note on the leftover container with the gram serving size. That way I know how much to weigh out per serving.

Or use the gram weight as 'servings' and log what you consume in servings. For example, 125 'servings' is 125 grams.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ yep that's what I do.