Stronglifts 5×5 workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to become a runner but now the mornings are dark I'm switching to this to build strength for a while. So far I've only been doing 2 sets of squats per workout to reduce the risk of DOMS killing me and stopping me from doing the runs I want to, but I will gradually build this up to the proper 5 sets (so tomorrow I will try and do 3 sets of squats).

I am doing it like this because last time I tried to do both SL5x5 AND run my legs took such a shock I couldn't do ANY exercise for a week!!

It's fine for me because it is quick and straightforward, I workout early morning and don't want to have to think too much.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    SL is a good basic beginning program w/a lot of fans here on MFP but there's really nothing unique about it. Bill Starr's 5x5 and Mark Riopetoe's 3x5 Starting Strength both preceded it.

Exactly. There's nothing "special" about any of them. The real reason these programs work so well is new lifters (who are usually but not always the ones who run these programs) have a plan spelled out for them which has progressive overload, which is key to building strength/muscle. That said, they'll all great programs but it's very important that the new lifter has their form down, especially when the weight starts getting heavy.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It's derivitive of starting strength
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    SL is a good basic beginning program w/a lot of fans here on MFP but there's really nothing unique about it. Bill Starr's 5x5 and Mark Riopetoe's 3x5 Starting Strength both preceded it.

Exactly. There's nothing "special" about any of them. The real reason these programs work so well is new lifters (who are usually but not always the ones who run these programs) have a plan spelled out for them which has progressive overload, which is key to building strength/muscle. That said, they'll all great programs but it's very important that the new lifter has their form down, especially when the weight starts getting heavy.

I prefer Rips, mostly because he put a ton of time and effort into the exercise science.

Unlike Medhi, who's site reads like a late night infomercial.