Best way to add strength training to my current routine?

Options
I've been trying to decide between starting with DVDs such as Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones and Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength, and going to BodyPump at my local gym. All of my workouts are currently very cardio heavy,

I went to a fitness event yesterday where I did 5 different classes followed by a stretch session. One class was similar to BodyPump (never tried it before) and today I am in pain!! The muscles in my arms and my legs feel really tight, especially after spending most of the day sitting down at work. At the moment I can't fully straighten one of my arms :s

Should I use the DVDs for a few weeks and work up to the classes? Or take the plunge straight away and hope that my body gets used to it?

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Everything you listed for strength training is really more circuit training oriented and has a very significant cardio component.

You will certainly get stronger doing a body pump class if you have no strength training background.
    Do the class at the gym so you can work with the coach and get the guidance.

After a while you will be more confident and could look into Strong Lifts or Starting Strength.

On your strength days don't do any other cardio.
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym you could also do your own strength program. I use a lot of free weights which has helped heaps with toning! In regards to the classes I always struggled at first but they get easier as you keep going.