Anybody tried Orange Theory Fitness?

2»

Replies

• Karbum
    Karbum Posts: 124 Member
    Great question! Apparently they send you a summary email at the end. I am not sure tho. I will let yo uknow tho. I start Jan 12th!

CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    It's super expensive here in NYC and was considering it. For those who are members, do you monitor your own progress with the strength portion - lifting weights? I was looking for something structured that monitored progressive overload, but that may be asking too much?

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited January 2017
    Karbum wrote: »
    Great question! Apparently they send you a summary email at the end. I am not sure tho. I will let yo uknow tho. I start Jan 12th!

It's super expensive here in NYC and was considering it. For those who are members, do you monitor your own progress with the strength portion - lifting weights? I was looking for something structured that monitored progressive overload, but that may be asking too much?

the summary email does not include anything re: the strength portion. it simply details what can be read by your HRM (i.e. how many minutes you were in each zone, calories burned, splat points, etc.)
  • Karbum
    Thanks. Do you find they help you track anything else?
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

the summary email does not include anything re: the strength portion. it simply details what can be read by your HRM (i.e. how many minutes you were in each zone, calories burned, splat points, etc.)

• bellaa_x0
    edited January 2017
    Thanks. Do you find they help you track anything else?
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

they don't track anything for you per say. you simply get a summary of your workout emailed to you after each class containing the items i mentioned above (all based on your heart rate). the only thing they keep track of is if you join any of their challenges such as the weight loss challenge (which may vary based on location and is typically at an additional cost).
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Karbum Thanks. As pricey as it is, i didn't want to pay for this and another gym. I was one of those who went to the weight section of the gym without a real plan - just a lot of this and that. I think I'd be sold in a heartbeat if they did monitor one's progress with weights over time.
  • bellaa_x0
    @Karbum Thanks. As pricey as it is, i didn't want to pay for this and another gym. I was one of those who went to the weight section of the gym without a real plan - just a lot of this and that. I think I'd be sold in a heartbeat if they did monitor one's progress with weights over time.

you could just monitor your own progress like you would in a normal gym...
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @bellaa_x0 Hmm. I just thought since the workouts change so often and I could only go twice a week that it would be hard - for example - to do biceps week one and maybe not again til week 4. I've heard and still learning about progressive overload and wondering how OT fits or doesn't fit into this.
  • bellaa_x0
    @bellaa_x0 Hmm. I just thought since the workouts change so often and I could only go twice a week that it would be hard - for example - to do biceps week one and maybe not again til week 4. I've heard and still learning about progressive overload and wondering how OT fits or doesn't fit into this.

ah i see your point... may not be the right fit then. i used it just to switch up my workout once a week in addition to my regular lifts/cardio.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @bellaa_x0 hmmm. Are your "regular lifts" the progressive overload I'm learning about? I was just and choosing machines and lifting dumbells willy-nilly - do you follow a plan to make sure you're always progressing?
  • bellaa_x0
    @bellaa_x0 hmmm. Are your "regular lifts" the progressive overload I'm learning about? I was just and choosing machines and lifting dumbells willy-nilly - do you follow a plan to make sure you're always progressing?

@CeeBeeSlim i don't follow any of the programs recommended on here such as Strong Lifts, etc., but yes - my boyfriend does my programming and i train one to two body parts on the days that i lift (i.e. last night i did shoulders and bis) with the goal being to progressively be able to lift more weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have a few friends who go, and love it. They have had great results. I was just wondering if anyone else has any reviews. Good or bad :)
    Results usually aren't as noticeable with the workouts compared to how one EATS in calorie deficit if weight loss/fat loss is the goal.
    The workout itself will greatly improve strength and fitness though. But one doesn't have to greatly improve either to lose body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    I did. It was imtimidating at first, seeing I was the only fat person there and was the only one who wouldn't do a push-up, burpee or plank to save my life. However It was fun and I wish I had the money to go back. After 3 hours my stomach and my legs were hurting. Today it's still the same thing but it is those inclines at 4.0 they had me do on the treadmil. Im def going to add that to my daily work out routine.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    those things are popping up like crazy here in Canada. Hadn't heard of them prior to a few months ago and I have seen 3 or 4 in the last few weeks.
  • Karbum
    Thanks for all the feed back! I will let everyone know how it works out!
  • theresa961
    theresa961 Posts: 37 Member
    I just started and I LOVE it! great workout and in and out in 1 hour..great music and coaches help alot
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Heard it's full of MILF's. this thread confirms.
  • Karbum
    reed494 wrote: »
    I've been going for almost three months now. It's an incredible workout for me. I go between three and four times per week. It is my only workout. I've noticed not only inches and a considerable weight loss but also improved strength, flexibility, and stamina. After three months, I have moved from a walker into a jogger In order to get my HR and splat points to where they need to be. As a big guy, i consistently burn 950-1000 calories per session and I feel it the next day like you should. What I find most beneficial to my habits is the constant pressure to do better and keep up. I used to be a 60 minute LA Fitness guy. I never really pushed myself. I thought that walking 3.5mph with a slight incline was good enough. It was something, but this is entirely different. Between trying to beat myself, trying to beat the person next me, and trying to beat my personal bests, OTF sparks the competitive nature in me and gets the best of me every time. And yea, it is expensive. They actually charge you if you don't show up or don't cancel a scheduled class on time. Monetarily, I know I can't afford to miss or waste a class. It's also cheaper than 12-16 sessions with a personal trainer into area, so that's helps me rationalize I guess. They offer learning opportunities, contests, diet seminars, motivational speakers, etc all at no or minimal cost to members. If you have a new facility opening up on your area, there are discounted founders rates as well. They really try to build a family or group atmosphere and strive to elevate you into challenging yourself and motivating each other.

That was really long, and it's only been 3 months, but OTF has really changed my life. I'm better. I'm stronger. I'm getting to my goals in a way I never have before. I can't recommend it enough.

**fixed some typos.

• Karbum
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I have joined and I am absolutely loving it!!!

I love OTF!!! and am not afraid to show it! lol :p