Two shakes and one meal a day?

Options

Replies

• Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This isn't something you can adhere to long term so why even start this regime? Just hit your macros with actual meals and of course on occasion you can do the shake thing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »
    This isn't something you can adhere to long term so why even start this regime? Just hit your macros with actual meals and of course on occasion you can do the shake thing.

Does it matter what she "hits her macros" with? I'd hate to see her give up those fabulous vegetables.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I say if you are getting the nutrients you need and not slowly starving yourself then go for it. You could always heat these smoothies as a kind of a soup in the cold months, maybe play around adding different spices and things. It is for no one to say what you will or won't be able to maintain. Some folks do better *this* way, others do better *that* way. If you get bored you can always change it.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a binge waiting to happen.
  • Phil1632
    Phil1632 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi lolliopopsnrainbows below is a condensed version of what I was referring to. I'm not a nutrionist or dietician though, I'm trying to keep away from calories myself. As i also mentioned I drink smoothies myself every once in a while. The smoothies I drank were only during the first three days of my 'detox/cleanse' and they were made up of simple and fresh ingredients i.e. kale, carrots, berries, coconut milk, etc. The plan was to cleanse me of any toxins built up and help weight loss. It worked a treat but not recommended as usual with 'detox/cleanses'....hence I'm on the myfitnesspal app now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3CyrhG6TX3gflJTNx29mtjp/are-smoothies-good-for-me

Are smoothies good for me?
    Smoothies are often marketed as a healthy treat, but as Dr Saleyha Ahsan reveals, we should all be a bit cautious of having too much of them.

Fruits are stacked full of sugar, and smoothies concentrate the sugar from a lot of fruit into one single serving. Most of them contain more sugar than Coca Cola – and it makes no difference that that sugar is ‘natural’ or not ‘added’- the sugar and acid from smoothies still causes tooth decay, and the sugar has many health consequences for us – affecting our risk of Type 2 Diabetes and obesity.

So despite the fact that smoothies contain plant compounds that are good for us, we should also be very aware of the amount of sugar that they contain as well and don’t think of them as entirely innocent.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/FAQs.aspx#juices

Q.Do juices and smoothies count towards my five aday ?
    A: Unsweetened 100% fruit juice, vegetable juice and smoothies can only ever count as a maximum of one portion of your 5 A DAY.
    For example, if you have two glasses of fruit juice and a smoothie in one day, that still only counts as one portion.
    Your combined total of drinks from fruit juice, vegetable juice and smoothies should not be more than 150ml a day – which is a small glass.
    For example, if you have 150ml of orange juice and 150ml smoothie in one day, you'll have exceeded the recommendation by 150ml.
    When fruit is blended or juiced, it releases the sugars which increases the risk of tooth decay so it's best to drink fruit juice or smoothies at mealtimes

P.S. I am here trying my best to succeed in losing weight and would love to make some positive and supportive friendships, so please anybody friend me.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm having shakes or smoothies twice a day with one meal (and a small snack or two if I want) and I'm doing well and not having any problem with binges. This is the first time I've tried to lose weight without having issue with binges. I have been too short on protein in the past, and the additional protein in my shakes and smoothies makes me feel very full. It's been great.

I can see how if you buy a smoothie from some place where they don't necessarily use whole fruits, that it might not count as more than one serving of fruit, but if you blend it up and drink it, it affects your body just as if you chewed it up and ate it. Your body can't tell the difference between blended and solid versions of the exact same food.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Phil1632 wrote: »
    Hi lolliopopsnrainbows below is a condensed version of what I was referring to. I'm not a nutrionist or dietician though, I'm trying to keep away from calories myself. As i also mentioned I drink smoothies myself every once in a while. The smoothies I drank were only during the first three days of my 'detox/cleanse' and they were made up of simple and fresh ingredients i.e. kale, carrots, berries, coconut milk, etc. The plan was to cleanse me of any toxins built up and help weight loss. It worked a treat but not recommended as usual with 'detox/cleanses'....hence I'm on the myfitnesspal app now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3CyrhG6TX3gflJTNx29mtjp/are-smoothies-good-for-me

Smoothies are often marketed as a healthy treat, but as Dr Saleyha Ahsan reveals, we should all be a bit cautious of having too much of them.

Fruits are stacked full of sugar, and smoothies concentrate the sugar from a lot of fruit into one single serving. Most of them contain more sugar than Coca Cola – and it makes no difference that that sugar is ‘natural’ or not ‘added’- the sugar and acid from smoothies still causes tooth decay, and the sugar has many health consequences for us – affecting our risk of Type 2 Diabetes and obesity.

So despite the fact that smoothies contain plant compounds that are good for us, we should also be very aware of the amount of sugar that they contain as well and don’t think of them as entirely innocent.

A: Unsweetened 100% fruit juice, vegetable juice and smoothies can only ever count as a maximum of one portion of your 5 A DAY.
    For example, if you have two glasses of fruit juice and a smoothie in one day, that still only counts as one portion.
    Your combined total of drinks from fruit juice, vegetable juice and smoothies should not be more than 150ml a day – which is a small glass.
    For example, if you have 150ml of orange juice and 150ml smoothie in one day, you'll have exceeded the recommendation by 150ml.
    When fruit is blended or juiced, it releases the sugars which increases the risk of tooth decay so it's best to drink fruit juice or smoothies at mealtimes

P.S. I am here trying my best to succeed in losing weight and would love to make some positive and supportive friendships, so please anybody friend me.

if fruit is chewed it also releases the sugars,you can get tooth decay from anything if you dont take care of your teeth,not just sugars(smoking and chewing tobacco can cause it as well) if you are blended fruits and veggies you are still getting that many servings and calories. what usually caused type 2 and obesity is eating too many calories period. sugar itself does not cause diabetes,if so as a child I would have became diabetic with all the sugar I consumed. if you are making the juice yourself by blending you arent losing anything,this thing saying its less servings even though you blend up 3 servings of apple or whatever is ridiculous. I guess the nutrients,sugar and calories just disappear into thin air? as for removing toxins,your organs do that for you, there is nothing special about foods,drinks,etc that claim to remove toxins,they dont.
  • Phil1632
    Phil1632 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great! I too drink smoothies.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,242 Member
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »

That is a pretty big assumption. Maybe you could not adhere to this long term, but that does not mean the OP cannot. They obvious like this approach to eating, so as long as they meet there macro and calorie goals, all power to them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Given what OP explained about the smoothies in question (mostly veg, not that much fruit, fat and protein also), this is clearly not relevant. (As a comparison of something not that different from what OP described, I had a smoothie this morning, it had 18 g of sugar, only 9 from fruit (none added--the rest from veg, plain yogurt, and even walnuts). Plus, my overall sugar consumption today was 31 g, so I think the smoothie fit in fine.)

The thing about sugar and health consequences isn't supported by anything I've seen. The WHO, for example, focuses on added sugar and explains it based on calories (and teeth, but that's silly if you have decent dental hygiene).

No good reason is given for this, and a smoothie is not the same as juice, which it's conflated with. I'd like some reasoning to treat them the same, one better than the tooth thing.

(I know it's a campaign in the UK and I'm all for people eating more vegetables (and fruit too), but I think the "5 a day" thing as gospel is kind of silly too -- I don't count servings but focus on getting a good amount of veg with every meal (fruit is a bonus, but I don't really worry about it and eat more in some seasons than others). Doing this I get well over 5 servings of veg most days, without thinking about it.)

That said, I really don't see why the veg in my smoothie wouldn't count as much as the veg I put in my omelet. I like getting both (over the course of a week), as well as the ways I eat them, as I like having different veg and both cooked and raw.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I have not gone to the link, but it strikes me that smooties are lumped together with juices. If one is talking commercial smooties then that is probably a good comparison since many of them do remove things from fruit to get the taste and texture they are looking for the please the consumer.

If, however, they are making claims like this for blended food when one takes a whole apple and blends it with other things, it is utter clap trap. It is still the whole fruit and is in essence pre-chewed by the blender. This does not change the fruit in any way except to break it up. That is true for the veggies that are added as well. I think what they are talking about is not what the OP is doing. Also, much of the sugar in commercial smooties is from sweeteners, but the OP doesn't add any sweetener. Instead the sweetness comes from the one, note ONE, piece of fruit they add.

if you look above it states When fruit is blended or juiced,so blended is mentioned
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,242 Member
    Options

I have not gone to the link, but it strikes me that smooties are lumped together with juices. If one is talking commercial smooties then that is probably a good comparison since many of them do remove things from fruit to get the taste and texture they are looking for the please the consumer.

If, however, they are making claims like this for blended food when one takes a whole apple and blends it with other things, it is utter clap trap. It is still the whole fruit and is in essence pre-chewed by the blender. This does not change the fruit in any way except to break it up. That is true for the veggies that are added as well. I think what they are talking about is not what the OP is doing. Also, much of the sugar in commercial smooties is from sweeteners, but the OP doesn't add any sweetener. Instead the sweetness comes from the one, note ONE, piece of fruit they add.

if you look above it states When fruit is blended or juiced,so blended is mentioned

So utter clap trap it is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No reasoning is given, though, other than the tooth thing.

I think the 5 a day campaign in the UK isn't just about getting in nutrients (as there are clearly no fewer nutrients in blended fruits and veg than whole ones), but about satiety and avoiding overeating, and that's why there's a bias against smoothies. I used to share the view that drinking would lead to less satiety, but haven't found that's the case when I have smoothies (a relatively recent thing for me as part of my breakfast rotation). From what OP said, also not the case for her/him, and I think something that should be judged individually.

Similarly, while it's often the case that a smoothie is high fruit and sugar (and this seems to be assumed in the things quoted), that's also not the case with OP's shakes, and I find it not good advocacy for the value of fruits and veg that that is just assumed leading to (likely) incorrect assumptions like the one stated here, that they aren't as nutritious or some such.

Thomas Campbell (also a problematic source, IMO) gave a similar POV, but explained it better, and I think so long as OP is feeling content/satisfied the recipes identified shouldn't fit into the reasons for the concerns: http://nutritionstudies.org/are-smoothies-good-or-bad/

(I think rather than picking on smoothies as if they were all the same it would be more sensible not to treat fruits and veg as if they were identical for the purposes of the 5 a day thing.)

I don't mean this to sound as if I'm arguing against you -- it's the quoted source, which I think is somewhat misleading and confusing to people.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

No reasoning is given, though, other than the tooth thing.

I think the 5 a day campaign in the UK isn't just about getting in nutrients (as there are clearly no fewer nutrients in blended fruits and veg than whole ones), but about satiety and avoiding overeating, and that's why there's a bias against smoothies. I used to share the view that drinking would lead to less satiety, but haven't found that's the case when I have smoothies (a relatively recent thing for me as part of my breakfast rotation). From what OP said, also not the case for her/him, and I think something that should be judged individually.

Similarly, while it's often the case that a smoothie is high fruit and sugar (and this seems to be assumed in the things quoted), that's also not the case with OP's shakes, and I find it not good advocacy for the value of fruits and veg that that is just assumed leading to (likely) incorrect assumptions like the one stated here, that they aren't as nutritious or some such.

Thomas Campbell (also a problematic source, IMO) gave a similar POV, but explained it better, and I think so long as OP is feeling content/satisfied the recipes identified shouldn't fit into the reasons for the concerns: http://nutritionstudies.org/are-smoothies-good-or-bad/

(I think rather than picking on smoothies as if they were all the same it would be more sensible not to treat fruits and veg as if they were identical for the purposes of the 5 a day thing.)

I don't mean this to sound as if I'm arguing against you -- it's the quoted source, which I think is somewhat misleading and confusing to people.

yeah,if you are making the smoothies yourself then I dont see how they cannot be healthy. I agree that if the OP wants to make their own shakes and it keeps them satiated then so be it. sometimes I will make a protein smoothie and drink that when I dont want to eat foods that day. I dont buy many smoothies anymore because of the added sugars and they cost more as well.but for a study to say blended food is not as nutritious or gives you less servings is a load of crap.what should matter is getting your fruits and veggies in,however you do that is your choice
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm making the shakes myself, using hemp powder (protein), coconut oil (fat + MCTs), whatever veggies I have to hand (beetroot, pepper, cucumber etc) and one item of fruit (banana, apple or mango usually).

Curious. How many calories does this equal?

Hi quiksylver,

In total my shakes are around 300 - 400 calories each. MFP has me on 1300 calories a day (I'm female and not very tall!), so that leave me with 500 - 700 calories for dinner.
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses, I wasn't expecting this to be such a contraversial subject!

As a few people have suggested, I do indeed only put one piece of fruit (and I make both my shakes at once, so actually I only have half a piece of fruit in each shake). The fruit is simply to add a touch of sweetness, but the main intention of the shakes was to increase my veggie intake. I then thought that if I added protein and fat, it could be a complete meal.

This way of eating does really satisfy me, and stops me from getting hungry/hangry and eating all the junk food! I can see why you guys might think I'm setting myself up for a binge, but actually I think this way of eating is helping decrease my food guilt - I'm now "allowing" myself to eat whatever I want for dinner, so long as it includes some vegetables and fits my calorie allowance.

I do agree however, that I need to figure out some "grab and go" solid food options for when I don't have time to make the shakes.

I drink my shakes from a shake bottle, and so it doesn't tend to wash around my teeth in quite the same way that liquid from a cup does, so hopefully that (along with the fact that it is mostly vegetables rather than fruit) will keep my teeth healthy and cavity free.

Thanks again guys, you rock!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hate to quote myself... but...
    1160532_orig.png?resize=250%2C300

Do you have any friends, family, or colleagues which are constantly trying to get you to buy shakes, pills, or wraps? Maybe they want you to attend a “party” where you’ll receive a harsh sales pitch. Either way, a good rule of thumb is that if the company’s income is primarily from the recruitment of new sales distributors or marketing and not the products and subsequent research… It’s a scam!

But wait, what about the people who’ve had results with shakes, pills, or wraps? We want to be very clear that the mechanism behind all fat loss has to do with your body being in a negative energy balance. This means that no matter the product you must consume less calories throughout the day than you’re burning with your BMR and Daily Activity.

Shakes: By replacing a normal meal (300-500 calories) with a shake (90 calories) you are creating a calorie deficit. Note: this can be done without using a shake… Unfortunately, by replacing meals with shakes and not learning the basics of nutrition (calories, macro and micronutrients) you are setting yourself up for failure. By not learning to control your overall calorie intake through food which you enjoy and can actually maintain for life, you are dooming yourself to re-gain any weight loss. Because these “diet” plans are temporary, don’t teach you the skills you need to succeed, are unnecessary for weight loss, and cost a fortune we say: Don’t Even Think About It! If you can’t maintain your shake plan for life you will not succeed long-term.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options
    Whilst I agree with what you say Rainbow - it doesnt really apply to OP who is not buying any shakes but is simply making her own in a blender at home.

No scam in doing that - and no reason OP cannot do it long term if it suits her - or change and do something different later if it doesnt.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Whilst I agree with what you say Rainbow - it doesnt really apply to OP who is not buying any shakes but is simply making her own in a blender at home.

No scam in doing that - and no reason OP cannot do it long term if it suits her - or change and do something different later if it doesnt.

The issue with this, regardless, is that in order for this to work... OP must maintain this long term.

It's easy to supplement a meal with a shake/smoothie. What happens when you have to eat out? What happens when you have to eat real food for that meal? What happens when it's cold and winter outside and you want a hot meal?

Learning to control your overall intake in a way that is most sustainable is incredibly important. If OP can maintain this forever, then so be it! More power to OP! But in my experience this is generally not the case.