It's true what they say...

Options
So it really is true what they say... You won't work for it unless you truly want it.

I've started eating better and exercising probably 4 REAL times in my life. Where I decide to make a change and want to get fit, so I start exercising and eating a little better than I normally do, and it always ended the same way: after about 2-3 weeks me hating having to do the work and being annoyed I wasn't getting results right away so I would just quit and decide I was okay with my body.

This time, I decided that no matter what I am going to stick to this, I finally truly wanted this to happen and was willing to put the work in for it. I started on Sept. 4 of this year. I completely changed my diet (something I never thought I would be able to handle because I was a notorious snacker), I did cardio every day for the first 3 weeks and have now incorporated strength training and "off" days.

Now, in the middle of my 5th week at this, I have lost 10 pounds, 2 inches from my waist, can endure longer and harder exercises than before, and am actually excited about working out as opposed to dreading it.

I know it's cliché and until it happens to you it's just rhetoric someone is saying but it's actually true. You will not see results or feel good about what you're doing (regardless of your results) until you really want it for yourself and no other reason.

Replies

• nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Preach, sister. Most people on these boards will never dig deep enough to find the discipline. They can't accept that it has to be a permanent lifestyle change - as in, for the rest of their lives. That scares the hell out of them. They want to lose the weight but they don't reeeeeaally want to give up the old habits. They want to lose weight but they haven't really examined WHY they want to lose it. They're looking for someone to motivate them and won't accept that motivation absolutely must come from within. But it sounds like you're coming around to that realization. This is awesome.

Incidentally, a year ago I was right where you are. I lost 25 pounds, kept it off for the last year, and did two triathlons. Now I'm gunning to lose another 10 and training for a half marathon in the spring. You're on the right track - stick with it. <3

(Incidentally, I'm 52, for what that's worth. Never too late.)
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I would say this is true. I dieted on 3 times in my life. This is #3. WW lost 40 lbs. MFP#1, forget what I lost, I started last year and quit. This time I'm in it no matter what is going on in my life. Cause life is gonna always be up and down. If I feel good and look good it will help handle the crazy stuff (use to be when life got messy I wouldn't eat.... :| )

My high blood pressure brought me here. So I'm in this for life as blood pressure management without the use of medication means good food choices and exercise, for life.