Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Simple Carbs (processed sugars) = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)

2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    It's possible but I wouldn't say it's very likely that your DOMS was exacerbated, but certainly not caused, by simple carbs. There really isn't much research on the cause of DOMS let alone how it relates to diet, and although many lifters do seem to notice reduced DOMS when they try certain protein supplements but this could just be a placebo.

The lactic acid theory of DOMS, to my understanding, is not accepted by most just as lactic acid does not cause muscle burn during exercise -- that's caused by the build up of H- ions.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Is it simply not possible that you experienced less DOMS as a result of higher protein intake and continued exercise?

DOMS is not the same as normal "soreness" (aka acute muscle soreness), and OP's initial post seems to confuse the two. DOMS is significantly reduced with continued exercise anyways, regardless of the foods you are consuming.

"After performing an unaccustomed eccentric exercise and exhibiting severe soreness, the muscle rapidly adapts to reduce further damage from the same exercise. This is called the "repeated-bout effect".

As a result of this effect, not only is the soreness reduced, but other indicators of muscle damage, such as swelling, reduced strength and reduced range of motion, are also more quickly recovered from. The effect is mostly, but not wholly, specific to the exercised muscle: experiments have shown that some of the protective effect is also conferred on other muscles."

You can read more here:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12641640

In essence, what i'm saying is, it is very likely you would have seen a reduction in DOMS regardless of the foods you've eaten simply because DOMS is a response that occurs to try and rapidly heal the body. It's the first response in G.A.S. regardless. DOMS is only experienced in the Alarm reaction phase.

general_adaptations.jpg

Now if we're talking about a reduction in acute muscle soreness, it's important to note that an increase in fat and protein intake may help with soreness, regardless of carb intake. You might some sort of intolerance which is causing inflammation. If you're experiencing something like arthritis for example, an increase of fat can help soothe symptoms, etc. I could go on, but it's important we make the distinction for an appropriate discussion.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    So how much did your protein intake increase?
  • KevinYoukillus
    KevinYoukillus Posts: 206 Member
    I'm sorry I can't really answer specific questions, I wasn't keeping very close records, and I'm no nutritionist... but yesterday I went back to the same cafeteria, ate another 1800+ calories, but this time avoided the dessert tray with the chocolate pudding and blueberry crisp. Yesterday evening I worked chest as hard as I ever have with my trainer, even set some new personal bests! This morning I woke up with virtually zero pain, some tightness, but nothing I would call soreness.

Obviously everyone's body is different, but I am confident in my own personal experience. My goal is to work out 6-7 times a week, and if avoiding sugar is going to help me avoid muscle soreness, then I am simply going to avoid sugar.

Again, thanks for reading and allowing me to testify my own personal experience.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I'm sorry I can't really answer specific questions, I wasn't keeping very close records, and I'm no nutritionist... but yesterday I went back to the same cafeteria, ate another 1800+ calories, but this time avoided the dessert tray with the chocolate pudding and blueberry crisp. Yesterday evening I worked chest as hard as I ever have with my trainer, even set some new personal bests! This morning I woke up with virtually zero pain, some tightness, but nothing I would call soreness.

Obviously everyone's body is different, but I am confident in my own personal experience. My goal is to work out 6-7 times a week, and if avoiding sugar is going to help me avoid muscle soreness, then I am simply going to avoid sugar.

Again, thanks for reading and allowing me to testify my own personal experience.

Its actually ver common to hit PRs in exercise after binging on high sugar items. Very common with body builders. And considering digestive times, your prior days probably had greater influence than you think.
  • Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    Fitness Family, please allow me to testify...

I avoided processed foods (breads, crackers, sugary drinks, etc.) for a month as part of a nutrition challenge, while also increasing my workout schedule to at least 1 hour every day as part of a body fat loss challenge. During that time, I did not experience delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), to the point of incredulousness... during one five-day stretch, I had three 2000+ calorie burn days, and was commenting to my MFP newsfeed that I thought I must have some kind of superpower, to be waking up pain free everyday.

The nutrition challenge ended, and yesterday I found myself inhaling chocolate pudding and blueberry crisp desserts as part of an 1800+ calorie lunch. I worked out as normal last night, but this morning I woke up with a noticeable overall muscle pain. The only thing that changed was my diet, that one meal, the simple carbs from the high fructose corn syrup in the desserts.

My uneducated conclusion... Sugars, especially the simple carbs found in high fructose corn syrup, contribute to DOMS!

I posed the question to my Facebook network, and got the following response from a roller derby friend who happens to be a nurse:

"I do a lot of diabetic teaching daily at work lol. Simple carbs are where diabetics tend to mess up. For most people, sugar is what they automatically think to avoid and simple carbs and processed foods are always forgotten about."

"There is a direct connection between sugar, inflammation and joint pain. Inflammation is the immune system's healthy response to restore the affected area to normal following an injury, irritation or infection. However, in response to high sugar intake, which includes simple carbohydrates, the body is flooded with insulin and stress hormones. These inundate your blood supply triggering the inflammation process which creates stress and pain on your organs and joints. The less sugar you eat, the less inflammation you will experience, and the stronger your immune system will be to protect you from infectious and degenerative diseases."

"For another perspective, in many yogurts that use high fructose corn syrup to ferment, the process creates a product called "lactic acid", which is the same thing your muscles produce after burning fuel for an x amount of time (exercising) that results in soreness and stiffness."

Thanks for reading... I'm so happy to document this experience!

OMG you have just given me the will to combat my sugar cravings! My DOMS is so painful every time I work out and I couldn’t understand why. I’ve also been craving sugar like mad due to SAD this winter. Now I have a very good reason to resist those cravings. Thank you!