Female lifters > life after PHUL?

Options
I've been through.........4 or 5 rounds of PHUL now and as I approach the end of this one I really want to switch things up. I'm stalling and I think I'm just getting bored hammering out the same routine.

I did SL 5x5 before that, and long ago NROLFW (waaaay too complicated by the end).

Any btdt, program suggestions? 3-4 days of lifting preferred. Or for the PHUL lovers, did you switch up the accessory type work?

Thx :)

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves?
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Maybe Wendler 5-3-1?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Maybe Wendler 5-3-1?

My favourite but make sure it's Beyond 5-3-1 and not the original since Jim really improves the program from the original.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    PH3
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    PPL or PHAT are both great programs
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    PH3

I'm doing PH3 right now. Started with SL, moved to 5/3/1, now PH3. I like it.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    Options
    PH3

I started with SL as well, then tried Texas Method for a bit and followed 5/3/1 for a long time before PH3 was released. I have made much more progress on my lifts with PH3 than when I was doing 5/3/1.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-every-mans-guide-to-dup/

More of a method of training than an actual program, but I liked it. (I had to stop to rehab my back)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    PH3

I started with SL as well, then tried Texas Method for a bit and followed 5/3/1 for a long time before PH3 was released. I have made much more progress on my lifts with PH3 than when I was doing 5/3/1.

Same. I'm not a huge 5/3/1 fan.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a total change of pace, try German Body Composition Training. I'm wrapping a six week cycle. It's not something I'd want to do long term, but a nice change.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    PH3

Thanks, I took a quick look at PH3. 4 days a week is usually the most I can get into the gym. Adaptable?
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    PH3

Thanks, I took a quick look at PH3. 4 days a week is usually the most I can get into the gym. Adaptable?

It depends what your goals are. 4 days a week might be doable if your primary goal is to increase strength on the big 3 lifts. If so, I would adjust the program to something like this:

Mon: Squat, bench, deadlift
    Wed: Squat, bench, upper body strength exercises
    Thurs: Deadlift, lower body strength exercises
    Fri: Squat, bench, upper body hypertrophy exercises

If your main goal is to build muscle, then I think all 5 workouts are needed to get the full benefit of the program.

I used to do PH3 with all 5 workouts in a row (Mon-Fri), but the last 2 workouts got really tough without the mid-week rest day since they're the heaviest days and usually include AMRAP sets. Now I do the program Su,M,Tu,Th,F and it's much more manageable.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Ask a powerlifter what he does. All these Wendlers, Stronglifts etc. are not new, to label it something is a crock. Power lifters have been doing these sets and workouts forever. Just sounds funny someone putting a name to it like they invented something new. Find a power lifter to work out with. JMHO
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Ask a powerlifter what he does. All these Wendlers, Stronglifts etc. are not new, to label it something is a crock. Power lifters have been doing these sets and workouts forever. Just sounds funny someone putting a name to it like they invented something new. Find a power lifter to work out with. JMHO

They all have the same basic elements, you go through periods swing that bring you from volume to strength to power phases. New? Well, they are just cookie cutter programs and not something that a top level lifter would employ either in esthetic or strength competitions because they would have a customized program from their trainer/coach. However, you still see elements of programs like Sheiko in many custom powerlifting programs they just get mixed and matched.

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

They all have the same basic elements, you go through periods swing that bring you from volume to strength to power phases. New? Well, they are just cookie cutter programs and not something that a top level lifter would employ either in esthetic or strength competitions because they would have a customized program from their trainer/coach. However, you still see elements of programs like Sheiko in many custom powerlifting programs they just get mixed and matched.

I'm just sayin, because I'm old as dirt. Power lifters figured out their own workouts back in the day by trial and error. Most figured it out without having someone program something off the internet. We ate right and lifted period. That's why I say, hook up with a power lifter to help you out. When your lifts get stale then you need to strengthen other individual muscles to kick start it again. Like benching, you just don't keep moving up on the bench just by benching. Heavy tri's and pullovers will kick start it again. Squats the same way as bench, strengthen other muscles to keep squat moving up. Again, JMHO from an older lifter.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm just sayin, because I'm old as dirt. Power lifters figured out their own workouts back in the day by trial and error. Most figured it out without having someone program something off the internet. We ate right and lifted period. That's why I say, hook up with a power lifter to help you out. When your lifts get stale then you need to strengthen other individual muscles to kick start it again. Like benching, you just don't keep moving up on the bench just by benching. Heavy tri's and pullovers will kick start it again. Squats the same way as bench, strengthen other muscles to keep squat moving up. Again, JMHO from an older lifter.

I'm Master II and about three years younger and my first powerlifting club was 20 years ago so we have many of the same experiences I'm sure. I agree with you but the program names do tend to indicate the training philosophy so I do find that useful.

Saw your lifts btw and very impressed!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Wheelhouse15, I still love power lifting, love the strongman comps. Whole different thing now at 50 yrs old. I still want to get back to where I can do a meet. Add me as a friend, always looking for info and help. Been coaching my young nephew for the past few years. He holds 3 records in his weight class at age 12. He is 14 now and steadily moving up.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Wheelhouse15, I still love power lifting, love the strongman comps. Whole different thing now at 50 yrs old. I still want to get back to where I can do a meet. Add me as a friend, always looking for info and help. Been coaching my young nephew for the past few years. He holds 3 records in his weight class at age 12. He is 14 now and steadily moving up.

He has some real accomplishments and a great future!