MFP NEAT or TDEE--who has done both?

Options
Hi--I'm pretty clear on all the numbers and how to use these two methods, but I'm trying to decide which method to go with for now. I'm sure to some extent it's personal preference, but for those of you that have done both, can you tell me which you prefer, and any pros and cons you found for either method?

In the past, and for this (final!) weight loss effort, I've always used approx. TDEE, subtracting 500, and have been fairly successful losing close to 1lb per week. This time around, though, I was feeling hungrier as I increased my workouts, going over my calorie goal many days. Also, I recently acquired an overuse injury from which I'm still recovering. Right now my workout frequency and intensity are pretty variable as my foot recovers, so I'm trying out the MFP method of eating my sedentary/NEAT calories and adding back about half my exercise calories. It hasn't been that long, and I know trial and error will help me figure it out, but I'd like to hear about others' experience. Thanks!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have switched between them often.
    When I first began I used NEAT exclusively. After 6 months I had a stable routine so used TDEE for a while.
    When I switched up my routine I went back to NEAT for better monitoring.

Somewhere along the way I just sat down, worked the numbers and came up with my average hourly burn.

I have been maintaining for a long time now and just use my numbers to adjust my calorie level long or short term depending on my activity level.

For the position your in now, infrequent exercise due to injury, I think NEAT is the way to go. Adjust your exercise calorie level so you are losing at your 1lbs a week.
    FYI I found, for cardio and Pilates type classes MFP numbers were pretty close to my actual burn.

Cheers, h.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP's method and found myself in this weird, semi-binge/restrict cycle as when I logged exercise, I could eat, but when I didn't exercise, I had to eat much less. I moved over to TDEE when I realized I was headed into disordered eating.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I started with MFP's method and found myself in this weird, semi-binge/restrict cycle as when I logged exercise, I could eat, but when I didn't exercise, I had to eat much less. I moved over to TDEE when I realized I was headed into disordered eating.

This is one thing I was wondering--would I become obsessive about the numbers, and wind up on the stationary bike for two hours at midnight trying to burn off my overage!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've switched back and forth (currently considering going back to NEAT), but on the whole I prefer TDEE, as I don't like eating so little on rest days and usually don't want all my calories on long workout days.

I tend to be flexible and eat a little more on long workout days and save some calories to allow for this. Since long workouts are mostly on the weekend that's easy to do.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Honestly, the method i eventually decided on was estimating my TDEE and creating a SMALL deficit off of this. I just eat the same calories every single day regardless. (For example, .5 pounds per week)

Yes, there are days i workout and burn more calories, yes there are days i might do extra cardio, etc. etc. etc.

For the sake of my sanity just eating one calorie goal, period, regardless of anything else has helped me tremendously! No i don't get the extra calories to eat back, and no i don't eat more on the days i'm active, but i'm consistent and i find this works much better for me (especially as someone who has struggled with disordered eating in the past). i find that this method evens it self out (i lose more than .5 pounds per week, but i get to eat enough calories every day that i'm satisfied).
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I end up switching back and forth for different reasons. I started with NEAT, went to TDEE, now I'm back on NEAT. I'm probably going to go back to TDEE once I start weight lifting.

I lost with both methods. I don't find one more difficult than the other, they're just different ways to get to the same goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've done both...if you're dong them correctly and comparing the same rate of loss targets, they're basically 6 of 1...the only difference is where you account for exercise. Also, if you increased your exercise, your TDEE would also increase and it sounds like you didn't make an adjustment to TDEE for that.

The only real pro I can think of for the NEAT method is that it can illustrate to an individual who doesn't exercise how paltry their calorie targets really are sedentary. It's also good for people who can't exercise and/or have no intention of exercising regularly. Otherwise, I think it's pretty much crap.

For one, it's difficult to accurately measure calorie burn from a specific workout...and to that end, it would seem that very few people actually make the effort to "keep it real" and be as accurate as possible...'cuz MFP told me I burned 1,000 calories doing some recreational breast stroke for 45 minutes sounds legit.

Secondly, I think it takes the focus away from what is actually important about exercise which is fitness and general health and well being and puts the focus on a bi-product of exercise instead...when I went from NEAT to TDEE, my actual fitness really took off...I mean it exploded...because my focus was no longer about burning X calories, it was about following X or Y training plan to achieve the most I could from a fitness standpoint...it also made me less reluctant to take rest days and properly follow training protocols as laid out in the various programs I've done (both lifting and cycling). Hell, I rarely even think about the calories I'm burning anymore...I'm just focused on training for X, Y, and Z and eating to support that training and recovery.

Personally, I don't know anyone in my real life who is into fitness who use or would even think about using the NEAT method...I really don't see much point in it if you are someone who trains on the regular.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TDEE is for those who have consistent exercise...
    NEAT is for those who like to be rewarded.

Both work...both are the same just different approaches...but you end up at the same calories.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've switched from NEAT to TDEE in the past month. The calories work out to about the same, but since my exercise is pretty consistent, I find it easier to know my calories goal each day and plan around it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prefer the NEAT method. My exercise isn't perfectly consistent everyday, plus i have my fitbit synced with mfp and i like seeing the calories go up throughout the day, it spurs me on and motivates me to keep it up.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Prefer the NEAT method here. Exercise varies and I'm analytical with the data/numbers. But it does get tricky when you do hard Cardio one day and rest the other. Hard to get used to dropping intake 500cals for the day.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    OP here--I just thought I would update in case anyone is interested. For myself, I've found that I really do like the NEAT method better, at least for now. I find that it helps to motivate me to exercise, especially when my workouts happen in the evening. It's so easy to just blow it off, but if I want those extra calories (which I usually do), then exercise it is! There has been maybe a time or two when I've decided to just forego the calories and take it easy in the evening.

For those who do hard cardio workouts some days, as another poster somewhere else mentioned, there's nothing that says you have to take in all of those extra calories the same day. You can "bank" them, and eat extra the next day, or even later in the week, instead. As long as it evens out per week (or month, whatever), you're good. Personally, I enjoy those days when I do more cardio. It's usually on the weekend, and I can indulge a little more with those extra calories. For instance, yesterday I ran 8.5 miles, which gave me about 580 calories. I got to eat a bigger dinner and extra snacks--yay! Today with only a walking session of a few miles, my calorie goal will be lower, but I'll still get some extra.