Halloween candy!

Options
2»

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Handing out crap you don't like tends to be crap kids don't like. Just turn out your light and save them wasting their time getting crappy pretzels. Let them spend time on houses worth hitting up.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I can't imagine sitting home with the lights off. We've turned them off if we stop getting kids but if I'm not going to hand out candy it's because we've gone out and that's rare. Maybe I'm the odd one out because even though I don't go all crazy decorating for Halloween I have very fond memories of going trick or treating with my siblings and my friends. Lots of dark houses would make it a lot less fun, and most kids today already get restricted from doing a lot of things kids in the 70s and 80s took for granted... like trick or treating without an adult tagging along.

It doesn't matter if the lights are on or off, kids still knock/ring the doorbell. When I grew up, if a porch light wasn't on, you didn't go to it. I turn off the outside lights on Halloween because I just want to enjoy my movies without interruptions. Hells, I have to turn off all the upstairs lights and watch movies in the basement because, for the past 2 years, any sign of life meant doorbell ringing. Sorry that I put my own enjoyment over someone else's.
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't hand out at Halloween. I have horror movies to watch. Newfoundland is pretty sh!tty for Halloween treats - bags of potato chips. Yes, seriously, potato chips.

You're a newfie @zyxst ? I'm a caper!

Not originally. I just live here.

Cool me too actually though my family is all from Nova Scotia. I was born and raised in Ottawa. Chips are a big thing here too but the kids do like them
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't hand out candy because I live on a shady street in Brooklyn...but if I did, I'd just give them candy corn. That stuff is nasty. I'm an elementary school teacher and for some reason my kids love those Welch's fruit snacks. You could try that. Or tootsie rolls and crap.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have the problem of living with sharks. I can't buy candy in advance of Halloween so I have to get whatever is leftover at the store.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    OP here--wow, a lot of people don't hand out candy! We are in a neighborhood in the suburbs, and it's pretty fun on Halloween. We pass out candy for a time, but then we do go take our kids out trick or treating. Then we leave a bowl outside. Sometimes it's all gone when we return, but I usually over buy, so there is always some left over in the house.

I mentioned in my original post that I don't want to just give out crap (to the poster who suggested I should not bother if it's just pretzels or other crap I don't like). My kids love pretzels, and they especially like the Halloween shaped ones! But they also love lollipops which I do not, and gummies as well, which I do not, so those are options. We could probably also go with regular Hershey's chocolate bars, since most kids like those, but I would prefer dark chocolate, so I'm not at risk for eating them all up!

Thank you for your replies!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    there are like no kids in our neighborhood which is strange because we live in one the most saught after neighborhoods in san diego. Our first year handing out candy here we bought 6 bags of candy and a few bags of the assorted chips. Not one kid came to the door. We live pretty hidden back in a cul se sac so it makes sense the kids wouldnt come back here.

we had chips and candy for dinner for a month.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I don't do Halloween. Never even knew about it when I was growing up, apart from reading about it in story books. Although it is creeping in now due to international cultural penetration, it is still not widely practiced in my country.
  • Journey0912
    Journey0912 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm in a bit of a pickle with Halloween this year myself. Even though I've been a vegan for over 5 years now, I was still buying the "traditional" (non-vegan) candy and giving it out. But THIS year, I'm going to be true to myself on Halloween.......just as soon as I figure out how to do that! >:-{ So....... I need VEGAN ideas....... :-D Any ideas?? Thanks and have a peace-filled day! :-)

~*Journey*~
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Re vegan candy, I think all hard candy (brachts, Jolly Ranchers) is. Candy corn & marshmallows are just various types of processed sugar, without gelatin, right? Unsure on that one. I think swedish gummy bears (the fish) are gelatin free. Aren't oreos vegan?

Jumped in to say several pediatric dentists in town accept leftover candy and send it to active military. My kids school accepts it and gives it to a local Latino cultural center for dia de los muertos celebrations. You have to give it quick, like November 1.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I live on a First Nation reserve and we have approx 100-150 kids every year. We give out chips and bars and mostly have enough. Some years we run out, some years we have a bit left over. It really depends on the weather.

We all tend to go all out up here. One of our neighbors has a big barbecue and hands out hotdogs and burgers as well as treats. This will be my first year paying attention to CICO. We'll see how it goes lol. Not worried about leftovers so much as the stuff my daughter brings home. She's autistic and a picky eater so lots of her goodies are things she won't try/eat. And she likes giving that stuff to me lol.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have to work on Halloween this year, so no handing out of candy for me. :(

BUT, you can bet that I'm going to hit up Target the day after and buy all of the organic peanut butter cups and candies when they're on sale!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I got stuff that can pass as school snacks, but still treats for the kids: chips, fruit snacks, rice krispie treats.
  • japanghoul
    japanghoul Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    -
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm giving out KitKat and Twix bars. I can't eat them since I have celiac disease. Coincidentally, Twix is my daughter's favorite candy, and KitKats are my son's. They will enjoy the leftovers.

I will buy myself a Snickers bar to have, though.