Too much fiber and fatigue?

Options
Been getting around 60g of fiber a day lately and feeling slugging trying to maintain a minimal daily calorie deficit.

Could too much fiber be playing a role here? I typically have a high fiber diet but have been eating even more veggies lately.

Thanms

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    Probably not. How many calories are you eating in a day, and if you don't mind telling, what are your stats (sex, height, weight, age)?
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Probably not. How many calories are you eating in a day, and if you don't mind telling, what are your stats (sex, height, weight, age)?

Aiming for 2175 net after logging exercise. In thirtys 6'2 169lb m.

Figure I burn around 2300 to 2400 from daily routine outside exercise so 2175 is a mild deficit?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »

Figure I burn around 2300 to 2400 from daily routine outside exercise so 2175 is a mild deficit?

It might not be as mild as you think. ..I'm 5'10" on a good day, 42 with a desk job...with my exercise, your calorie target would have me at about 1000 calorie deficit on an average day...that would be my daily and about an hour of cycling. ..I'd be over 1000 on two a days (cycling am/lifting pm) and well over that on a Saturday or Sunday long ride.

I don't think it has anything to do with fiber. ..I'd wager you are under feeding your daily activity and exercise. That is often the case with fatigue. ..or sleep issues and/or lack of test/recovery in your programming.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    So what is your weight loss rate like? If you are a 125 to 225 calorie a day deficit then you would only be losing a pound every 15-28 days or so. If you are losing more than that, then you are likely under eating. It could be the macro breakdown you are eating as well, or some nutritional deficiency. The only one I know of that could be affected by fiber is iron since large amounts of fiber can reduce iron absorption.
  • powered85
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    powered85 wrote: »

It might not be as mild as you think. ..I'm 5'10" on a good day, 42 with a desk job...with my exercise, your calorie target would have me at about 1000 calorie deficit on an average day...that would be my daily and about an hour of cycling. ..I'd be over 1000 on two a days (cycling am/lifting pm) and well over that on a Saturday or Sunday long ride.

I don't think it has anything to do with fiber. ..I'd wager you are under feeding your daily activity and exercise. That is often the case with fatigue. ..or sleep issues and/or lack of test/recovery in your programming.

So I have a 2175 net...so if I run and burn 500, I'll end up eating 2675 that day. I eat back all my exercise calories. HRM records my burns on runs for calorie estimation, and I use METs for things like long walks etc.

So what is your weight loss rate like? If you are a 125 to 225 calorie a day deficit then you would only be losing a pound every 15-28 days or so. If you are losing more than that, then you are likely under eating. It could be the macro breakdown you are eating as well, or some nutritional deficiency. The only one I know of that could be affected by fiber is iron since large amounts of fiber can reduce iron absorption.

I'm not 100% at tracking on the weekends, but generally not more than .5lb-.75lb.wk which should be -250 deficit per day range yes?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat at least that amount of fiber and I've never felt sluggish or tired as a result.

Could it be the onset of fall/autumn (depending on where you live)? Or are you perhaps starting to fight a virus?
  • powered85
    Options

Could it be the onset of fall/autumn (depending on where you live)? Or are you perhaps starting to fight a virus?

Fall could be playing a role I have been more ravenous lately. Could be a virus too was pretty sick a few weeks back. I've started lifting heavier and slightly more but shouldn't be enough to make me tired.

Maybe I'm underestimating my neat before exercise and need to bump my daily goal up a bit more. I have put on a few lbs of muscle recently and bf% hasn't gone up significantly maybe a percent or two.