Blew it on some MM's last night

Went to town on a bag of pretzel MM's during the witching hour. Didn't log the calories, but let's just say I ate a pound of candy. This whole week has been on the carby sugary side and I don't know why I'm craving it so badly.

First off: what are your tips for getting back on track after an iffy week (I am dreading weighing myself tomorrow)

Secondly: what do you indulge in for those sugar carb craving weeks

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Just get back to your calorie goal. You cannot undo what you ate, and severely restricting yourself will just make you desire things more. The goal here is to learn how to eat better, that is, within your calorie goal. One day will not ruin everything, although the scale might be up tomorrow, some of that will be water weight. BTW, log what you ate. I know it will look horrible, but it gives some perspective. Remember 3500 calories is in a pound of fat, unless you ate 3500 calories over your maintenance (note maintenance not your calorie goal here) you will not gain a pound of fat.

At this point the question is how can your avoid doing this again, so some questions.

1) Is your weight loss goal too aggressive? Unless you are obese, 2 pounds a week is likely too aggressive. Too large a deficit can result in things like this.

2) Did you eat out of boredom, stress, or something else? Determining why you ate too much can help avoid it in the future.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    A regular size bag of M&Ms (not the ones found in grocery checkout lanes) is usually around 10-11 ounces, so I don't think you ate a pound of candy. But as for tips...

1. Just move on. What's done is done, so now you reset and get yourself back into a deficit. Definitely look to see if you're restricting calories and carbs too much.
    2. I save calories to have something sweet almost every night. Usually ice cream or gelato. Tonight is a mini pumpkin roll for about 200 calories.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Honestly, I would log it and suggest you do the same. Just entering those cals might be enough to help you walk away from that bag next time!
  • breenarna
    breenarna Posts: 7 Member
    I'm not sure where about in the world you are but for my sugary cravings if been eating protein puddings. At 85 calories its an acceptable snackage I can fit into my 1200 a day limit. The salted caramel one is to die for. But even then I try to really only have one every few days or so. Yesterday I got up early did a cardio session and then an aqua class, came home and just wanted to eat everything. Its hard to not just slip into old habits. So I sat with my pud and the smallest spoon I could find and savoured every last morsel.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    For the junk food. Just don't buy it. Don't have it around. If it is there, it will tempt you.

As for treats, I like coffee flavored Greek yogurt mixed with chocolate whey and a tiny bit of cashew milk to make a yummy mocha pudding. I also like putting powdered peanut butter in a chocolate protein shake so it tastes like a Reese's.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Been there, done that sista! I used to let it tail spin me and justify not only falling off wagon, but completely going off the rails.

While I'm not perfect with this, I don't let one slip ruin an entire day. I try to remind myself I can simply get back in track by eating clean the next time I put something in my mouth. I emotionally eat sometimes, so that's when it's harder for me to get my head straight. It takes effort to talk myself right--sometimes I succeed, sometimes not. But I've noticed, slowly over time that my slips don't last as long. Almost like a practice makes perfect.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Also, I force myself to log it. If I don't a part of my brain let's me over look it. That helps.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I'd log it - Not logging is trying to pretend it has not happened. Secondly sweet cravings? Fruit!