gaining weight as a vegetarian!

Hi guys I'm 5'6 about 110, my weight gain has been on and off i became a vegetarian around june and gained weight i was 1120 and now i lost it all due to stress of taking 6 classes, any vegetarians out there trying to gain weight? Thanks!

Replies

• bradstarzz
    bradstarzz Posts: 1 Member
    Hello there Phatania.
    I've went through the exact same problem for 6 months being a vegetarian. But recently went back to eating meat, here's my reason. Gaining weight on a vegetarian diet was tricky for me. Even my mother (vegetarian of 20 years) told me this. Protein and carbohydrates is essential but I can only speak for myself here when I say it's tough work keeping up with the veggie diet. Constantly prepping meals, as stressful as was it felt like it added more on. I guess I can't really give any useful tips but I hope you find a better route gaining weight on a veggie diet that I failed trying. Good luck
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I'm not vegetarian but don't eat a lot of meat (though do eat a lot of chicken and fish) Quinoa is a good source of protein,and eggs,cheese,milk and nuts. I'd have thought it is similar for weight gain on any diet - adding oil /butter, using full fat milk,cheese and yoghurt, nut butters etc. I mix whey protein powder with either whole milk or almond milk and drink a lot of smoothies. Good luck!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Not a vegetarian but gaining weight is about consuming more calories than you burn.

So first, find what your maintenance calories are and eat above that.

Peanut butter, ice cream, butter, cheese, avocados, and nuts are all vegetarian - and guess what? They are also high calorie. If you have a hard time eating because of the volume, these are also calorie dense foods. A small amount of these packs a big calorie punch.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    I'm not vegetarian but don't eat a lot of meat (though do eat a lot of chicken and fish) Quinoa is a good source of protein,and eggs,cheese,milk and nuts. I'd have thought it is similar for weight gain on any diet - adding oil /butter, using full fat milk,cheese and yoghurt, nut butters etc. I mix whey protein powder with either whole milk or almond milk and drink a lot of smoothies. Good luck!

Uhh
  • comptonelizabeth

Uhh

LOL sorry - I meant, I don't eat a lot of red meat!
  • phatania
    phatania Posts: 3 Member

Thanks guys....you guys are awesome <3
  • sammichudo
    sammichudo Posts: 3 Member
    Hey Phatania.
    Vegetarian of 5 years here. I don't know your level of activity in an average week, but assuming it's the "lightly active-moderatly active" bracket MFP likes to use, which also applies to me, I can tell ye from experience that it's easy gaining weight eating a lot of nuts of all kinds!! They are very dense in calories (amongst many micronutrients) and do not fill you up quickly.
    A 100 grams of an average mixed nuts bag will contain around 500-700 calories!
    Another good gainer are banana based smoothies. Chuck in 3 ripe bananas, some protein powder, cacao powder and cinnamon powder and BAM! there is another 400+ calories of smooth deliciousness!
    I hope this helps a bit! :-)
  • comptonelizabeth
    Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are my go to snack!
  • phatania
    phatania Posts: 3 Member
    sammichudo wrote: »
    Hey Phatania.
    Vegetarian of 5 years here. I don't know your level of activity in an average week, but assuming it's the "lightly active-moderatly active" bracket MFP likes to use, which also applies to me, I can tell ye from experience that it's easy gaining weight eating a lot of nuts of all kinds!! They are very dense in calories (amongst many micronutrients) and do not fill you up quickly.
    A 100 grams of an average mixed nuts bag will contain around 500-700 calories!
    Another good gainer are banana based smoothies. Chuck in 3 ripe bananas, some protein powder, cacao powder and cinnamon powder and BAM! there is another 400+ calories of smooth deliciousness!
    I hope this helps a bit! :-)
    Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are my go to snack!
    It did thank you sooo much