Belly fat to abs?

Options
I am almost at my weight goal but still have a belly, I want my abs to show but have a back issue (spondylolisthesis). My friend said no exercise necessary, just lose the weight until they show again. That sounds like a dream come true, is he correct?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, if you have enough muscle mass in the first place to show up ab muscles.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    yes, if you have enough muscle mass in the first place to show up ab muscles.

I am a contractor and am built very well and very physical daily.. ~ Very excited, thanks for the heads up.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to mention that you may need to lose more weight than you think you do for your abs to be visible.

If you're almost at your goal weight and you aren't near your goal, you need to adjust your goal.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I think it's important to mention that you may need to lose more weight than you think you do for your abs to be visible.

If you're almost at your goal weight and you aren't near your goal, you need to adjust your goal.

+1 abs are mostly about body fat percentage rather than building the muscle, although you do need to do that but if you are working in heavy labour then you've got that covered.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You've got this! :)
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Ab muscles are somewhat genetic so that plays a part in how low of bf you need to get to before they will show. They can be built to a certain extent to 'pop' more but it really comes down to being at the right bf.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Visible abs requires a low/very low BF%. Personally, at 42 I find that level of BF% pretty difficult to maintain...I have to be sub 10%...I can maintain 10-12% pretty easily, but below that I pretty much have to be a nazi with my diet and exercise...I have a life, so it's not really worth it to me.

When I'm at 10-12% I have a flat stomach and you can see some definition, but it's not a chiseled six pack.