The FOOD SCALE doesn't LIE and we should all use Grams not tablespoons.

Options

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The problem with using grams only instead of ounces, cups....is a lot of the foods do not have a listing for grams.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    The problem with using grams only instead of ounces, cups....is a lot of the foods do not have a listing for grams.

Most of my labels have a per serving gram amount.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't "spoon" measurements convert to milliliters? I've never seen grams listed for things like nut butters and cream cheese.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    cinnag4225 wrote: »
    Don't "spoon" measurements convert to milliliters? I've never seen grams listed for things like nut butters and cream cheese.

Not for solids. And gram measurements are on the labels here in the USA.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Most labels mention it though. So if I only have 19g of peanut butter, I'll just enter 19/32 (0.6) of a serving. You could make your own entries though... or edit them to add grams... but I'm lazy (and know most of the serving sizes in grams for 99% of the food I use now anyway).
    @quiksylver296 Damn! I read that wrong. I must have just taken a quick glance, but I swore it was one. And I've been missing PB for 2 months! Oh well, my bad. But it's still a lot of calories for such a small amount....my big *kitten* really doesn't need it lol.

You know, I always think that but a nice slice of whole grain toast with nut butter plus an apple is actually a pretty filling breakfast for 400-450 calories (I use homemade bread so it often comes to 200 calories a large slice, and I typically use 20-22g of nut butter).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cinnag4225 wrote: »

I guess it depends on where you live. In Canada, you get Imperial and metric. I'm not sure about the U.S. as I haven't lived there in 15 years, though I doubt it changed from Imperial (I didn't pay attention to nutrition labels then either). For me, it depends on what's being measured. If it's an obvious liquid like milk or certain salad dressing, I go with mL. If it's questionable solid (butters, thick dressings, yogurt, etc.), I go with grams.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had a really rough summer (financially and family), and in the midst of everything I made the conscious decision to pause maintenance and put my food scale away (as well as my weight scale). I knew I'd gain weight but I was not in the right place mentally to maintain and just stepped away from everything. Now I'm on the other side of things and this week I'm back at it-first thing I did was dig out my food scale :) It surprised me how much I had forgotten real portion sizes in just a few months! Especially with things like rice.

For me a serving size of rice is apparently the whole darned pot. LOL!

Thinking back over the past few months-it took very little time, after I had decided to stop tracking/weighing food, for me to up my almost daily rice consumption from one servings to two servings. Plus I began eyeballing it instead of using my food scale so I know I was adding calories that way as well. But now that I'm back to tracking calories and I've gone back to one serving of rice, I don't even notice the absence in terms of hunger! I'm saving hundreds of calories a week in rice now without even noticing the change-kind of crazy lol.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter & bread I can have in my calorie deficit is one only 70 calorie piece of DKB thin plus exactly 13 grams of natural chunky peanut butter. It is it's own form of magnificent. A really, really, small form.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    IMO weighing is great for calorie dense foods. Can be an eye opener and really make a difference!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You know, I always think that but a nice slice of whole grain toast with nut butter plus an apple is actually a pretty filling breakfast for 400-450 calories (I use homemade bread so it often comes to 200 calories a large slice, and I typically use 20-22g of nut butter).

Toast or any other carb in the morning makes me ravenous for the rest of the day. I can have it after 2 pm though. I may try that.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It seems the REAL weight of my wonderful wonderful Peanut butter is 189.24 grams which is equal to 1242 calories plus 220 in whole grain bread for a WHOOPPPING 1462 calories:):)

The average 16 ounce jar of Jif contains about 2,500 calories. You're telling me you use half a jar of PB in a single sandwich???!?!?!?!
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! That is a whole day's worth of calories for me IF I work out. No judgmemt, though--maybe just a little jealousy. :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    It seems the REAL weight of my wonderful wonderful Peanut butter is 189.24 grams which is equal to 1242 calories plus 220 in whole grain bread for a WHOOPPPING 1462 calories:):)

The average 16 ounce jar of Jif contains about 2,500 calories. You're telling me you use half a jar of PB in a single sandwich???!?!?!?!

I buy a 32 ounce jar every week I'll post a pic of my sandwich tomorrow morning. The crazy part its completely destroyed my estimates of my TDEE- the only positive side is I eat one almost everyday so its just a math adjustment
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I weighed my tortilla chips last night and got 3 extra chips I wouldn't have eaten if I had just gone with the label's "about 10."

Ya, I get more nuts if I weigh rather than measure as well.

I think if people are going to take the time to use measuring cups and spoons, they may as well just use a scale, which is just as quick if not quicker, more accurate, and you don't have to wash the measuring utensils.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I weighed my tortilla chips last night and got 3 extra chips I wouldn't have eaten if I had just gone with the label's "about 10."

Ya, I get more nuts if I weigh rather than measure as well.

I think if people are going to take the time to use measuring cups and spoons, they may as well just use a scale, which is just as quick if not quicker, more accurate, and you don't have to wash the measuring utensils.

Exactly. That's why I don't understand people who refuse to use a scale, unless they just eyeball without utensils (which I suck at).
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was curious about the quick Peanut butter sandwich I make every morning for a long time so today I decided to use the scale and a google conversion ounces to grams as I have always counted it as 5 tablespoons ( MFP Choice) which is 525 calories plus 220 in whole grain bread.
    SHOCKED!!! SHOCKED!!!

Good news is I'm trying to add weight at this point so no biggie but I think we can all learn a lesson from this message and that is

THE SCALE DOESN'T LIE so weigh out your food guessing doesn't work DUUUhh !!! LOL!!

So did I eat this wonderful sandwich I made in all of 10 seconds you bet I did and it was great!!

Using the scale can surely be an eye opener..BUT my question to you is..HOW could you not have some idea how much PB you were eating?

Most PB jars are 16 oz or 18 oz and 189.24 Grams = 6.67524456 Ounces or almost 1/2 a jar? or 1/3 + of a jar?

How could you not notice that..even w/o a scale? I have an 18 oz jar in my cupboard..I wouldn't have even got 3 sandwiches out of it, using your old method? You'd have been going thru an 18 oz jar every 3 days?

How could you not know?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I buy a 32 ounce every Saturday it just became habit and I loaded it as 5 tbl spoons not ounces so never thought about what a tablespoon of peanut butter weighed until today. Funny part is I use to log it as 4 table spoons and decided to log it as 5 a couple weeks ago because I liked them big..lol..
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Most labels mention it though. So if I only have 19g of peanut butter, I'll just enter 19/32 (0.6) of a serving. You could make your own entries though... or edit them to add grams... but I'm lazy (and know most of the serving sizes in grams for 99% of the food I use now anyway).
    @quiksylver296 Damn! I read that wrong. I must have just taken a quick glance, but I swore it was one. And I've been missing PB for 2 months! Oh well, my bad. But it's still a lot of calories for such a small amount....my big *kitten* really doesn't need it lol.

Yes, I would have to make a lot of new entries for my foods, but when I have to look them up in the food data base for MFP I see man th foods listed in ounces, cups.