It's coming! Holiday weight gain...!

Options
It's officially weight-gaining season!

• October: Thanksgiving (Can) & Halloween
• November: Thanksgiving (US) & Shopping
• December: Christmas
• January: New Years!

According to studies conducted in Japan, the US and Germany, this is the lightest weight the average person will be all year! The study also concluded that the weight gained within the next three months will take an average of five months to lose! Maybe instead of New Years resolutions, people should make Q4 resolutions ...!

I always give myself permission to indulge during the holidays, but I keep it in check with my nutritional goals... Because really, I don't bust my butt all year to give it away for some cookies and booze.

Some things I do to stay in line with my goals:

• Try not to drink too many of my calories
• Avoid tons of butter/sauce on my veggies
• Limit my bread intake (to make room for baking!)
• Dial up the low intensity cardio & heavier weights

What are your plans manage your weight during the holidays?!

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Last year I quit logging from October until January. That was a bad plan, I gained about 10 lbs. This year I'm going to keep logging and I'm going to try to get to the gym more. I'll still indulge in treats and on Thanksgiving I probably won't worry about logging everything so I can just focus on spending time with family. Christmas I will have to log because there are just too many sweets and I could go overboard really fast.
  • xLovelyx87
    xLovelyx87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well I'm gonna be on point with eating, maybe giving myself one day to enjoy with my family but of course nothing crazy cause it's true we're busting our butts to not ruined it in a month or two.
    Thank you for posting, this really opens my eyes and now I'm gonna plan ahead and better during the holiday's.
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My downfall is Mom's cooking, and she always makes all my favorites when I am home.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Last year I was sick as a dog over the holiday season and could only eat minuscule portions of everything (small bit of surgery which went slightly wrong due to a 'slight' allergic reaction to one of the components of the anesthesia they used on me).

Yet I didn't feel deprived as I could try my way through all the tasty things. All I had to do was moderate my portions as quantity of food and not what I ate seemed to be the bigger problem. Often I only had a taste of something and then let it be.

I'm planning on doing the same thing again this year. Enjoy a little bit of everything and give myself the OK to go over board on those things I really really really love and leave the rest for someone else to enjoy.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Same thing I do every other day of the year. I plan meals, keep logging and eating reasonable portions. I don't drink my calories. I don't go crazy over holiday food- nothing is so rare I can not have it any time I want really.
    One day that is at maintenance or a little higher calorie does not make me gain weight if I go back to normal the next day. Going over my maintenance level for days or weeks would be a problem.

I've been doing this through almost 2 years and did not experience any holiday weight gain. Moderation.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    So lets look at this and see what the real issue is. Since you mention October to January 1st we will cover that whole stretch. In those 3 months there are 92 days. If we consider the days where there are special events we come to say 10 days where there are Thankgiving Meals, Halloween Parties, Christmas Parties, etc. This would include extra days since there are office Christmas parties and the like since if we only include the actual days it would only be 5 or 6 days. That means 82 days where you could eat at your calorie goal and 10 where you would or might not. Notice something, the issue is not the 5-10 days where you have special events where food abounds, it is the 82-87 days where you could eat at your calorie goal, but don't. The weight gain is not the special events, it is all the other days that mess people up.

When I worked at Target years ago, they were terrible about providing mass quantities of food. If they weren't catering from some nearby restaurant they were placing huge tubs full of chips, cookies and the like in the break room along with a lot of sugary types of drinks or a huge tub of popcorn. One fine day my pants wouldn't even button. That's when I knew at break time and lunch time I would just avoid the employee break room.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I do what I always do - focus on low carb, high fat options (they are abundant during holiday dinners), allow small portions of higher carb traditional holiday sides (stuffing, I'm looking at you) but only on the day of the actual holiday, skip the ordinary carby sides (I can have mashed potatoes and dinner rolls any old time), skip the sweets unless they are truly remarkable and even then only take a small amount (not hard to do when you are stuffed full of meat, butter, and veggies), drink moderately and stick with bourbon on the rocks whenever possible (dry red or white wine is a decent second choice), keep activity levels the same. I'm maintaining now, but when I was actively trying to lose, I lost 8 lbs between mid October and mid January doing just that, and was still able to enjoy lots of yummies. In maintenance I stay within my goal range thru the holidays, tho I will be at the upper end by New Years.