Advice for a trip away?

Options
BeGrandLike
BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm six weeks into MFP- six pounds down and 1/4 of the way to my goal. I'm going to be on a work trip with a few days holidays to Germany next week, and I'm a bit worried about losing track. I do really well with my goals when I'm home and can track everything I eat, but I've noticed that even when I'm just away for a weekend I end up eating a lot more than I ordinarily would, with predictable results on the scale. This time I'm away for eight days, though!

Now, obviously I'd like to enjoy my time away and to be able to explore local eateries and the like! But I really would hate to come back home and have ruined the progress I've worked so hard to make.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for travelling and not piling the pounds back on? I know that there's a gym in the hotel I'm staying in so I plan to keep up my workout routine at least (I usually hit the gym five days a week, alternating just cardio and cardio/weights every second day). But as far as ideas go, that's all I've got..

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Look at the bigger picture...this is only three days...it's not even a blip.
  • BeGrandLike
    Options
    (also, I'm a 5'2" woman who normally has a fairly sedentary life, hence the working out 5 days a week cause I tried living on 1200 cals and oh my gawwwd all I wanted to do was to sleep all day! So I get my cardio in and average between 1400-1500 cals a day. Which is plenty when I'm at home but I think wouldn't stretch too far if I'm eating out for every meal. I'm also not good at not eating for hours, I tend to have 3 fairly evenly sided meals a day and a snack, so I'm eating four times a day. Otherwise I get awfully hangry!)
  • BeGrandLike
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Look at the bigger picture...this is only three days...it's not even a blip.

Sorry, I completely forgot to say that I'll be away for eight days this time! At least- I might extend to nine or ten, if I can swing it. Editing the OP there :)

• ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Walk everywhere! I'm sure that will help burn off some calories to make room for more food.
  • BeGrandLike
    Options
    I'm normally massively into walking but the person I'll be travelling with isn't able to walk long distances or fast due to injuries so that's one's mostly out :/
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've never been to Germany (outside the 8 hours I once spent in the Munich airport), but are there markets around where you will be traveling? Maybe you could get fresh fruit and vegetables to snack on or use for breakfast and save most of your calories for 1 meal a day at a nice restaurant?
  • BeGrandLike
    Options
    Oh, good idea! I tend to be a bit of a grazer when it comes to food- I get really irritable if I get too hungry, so I eat little & often. But I could definitely pick up some crunchy veg to be munching on and avoid snacking on high-calorie restaurant food that way!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Go. Have fun. When you get back, get back at it. Maybe you will regain a little. Maybe not. Maybe your will be more active than normal and it will balance out. Try not to overthink it.
  • lbecker69
    lbecker69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I went to Germany I ate all of the local foods I wanted, and walked everywhere. I actually lost weight!
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Squeeze in exercise when you can. Does the hotel have a pool or fitness room? Engage in early morning walks.
    I'd eat the food....enjoy. I wouldn't drink extra calories. I'd opt for fruit deserts instead of high calorie cakes/sweets. I'd swap out potatoes and rice for salads and extra veg.
    Have a wonderful time.
  • rightstart4me
    rightstart4me Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go to Germany a few times a year so I'll weigh in here. The fruits and vegetables are locally grown, and only offered in season. So fresh food are the norm, and delicious.
    Breakfast buffets at hotels almost always have yogurts, fruits and veggies and oftentimes they'll have eggs. You can definitely make healthy choices very easily.
    Lunch is their big meal and usually includes a salad and a well-rounded meal. Go light on the salad dressing and the starch, enjoy the veggies, and just watch your portions on the meat.
    Dinner is very easy to find salad with turkey in restaurants. That's my go to. If you're looking for something more, follow the formula for lunch above.
    Sweets don't have nearly the sugar we have in the US, so you can have tastes without going crazy.
    As others have said, enjoy the foods and don't worry too much. Watch portions and select fresh foods whenever you can. Have a great time!