Bok Choy!!

Options
I'm trying to explore some veggie options. Anyone have any recommendations for Bok Choy that won't require me to over cook or over season it? I don't like to over cook my veggies and I'm kind of afraid of the bitterness it can have.

Replies

• MommyRuns12
    MommyRuns12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry, wrong discussion!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just add it to a stir fry (just don't cook it too long) or eat it raw in a salad, so I guess that's boring.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I rub a little olive oil and lemon juice add salt to taste. Grilled the whole thing is yummy the blackened leaf is the best.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Stir fried with other veggies and chicken, roasted in the oven with olive oil and salt, steamed in chicken broth :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I don't find Bok Choy bitter but the only way I use it is cooked briefly in a stir fry. It's wonderful for this.

I grew some this year and while it was great while it lasted, it bolted as soon as it got hot, despite straw mulch and frequent watering.

Swiss chard remains the easiest green for me to grow - it is both cold and heat tolerant and has no pests here in Massachusetts. I use this in stir fries where I would have used bok choy. Also use chard in smoothies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If it's baby bok choy I typicaly either roast it, steam it or lightly sauté it and then drizzle a little toasted sesame oil over it.

If its mature, I usually add it a dish (stir fry, soup, pasta, etc.) rather than eat it alone.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Steam or lightly saute. Never noticed it being bitter. It's really good with onions and garlic.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I stir fry it or saute in a touch of butter, garlic, and powdered chicken boullion . So good. It's also good dropped into chicken soup
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    Just drop them w/other stuff, like tofu, shrimp, etc, in w/instant ramen for a quick meal. Baby bok choy can go in whole, just cut up larger bok choy.