Scared of new gym get panic attacks

Options

Replies

• teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I dont know why everyone was bigger than me LOL so i was feeling uncomfortable LOL

The big guys started out smaller too. I respect anyone that actually gets into the gym at all. I hope that respect is reciprocated throughout.

BTW, I used to have issues with crowds, etc. Still do in a way.

Breathe... concentrate on yourself. Do you're workout for yourself and screw everything else.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress, and if you need some encouragement, just ping your friends here.

Cheers,
    Teddie
  • sarahxcx
    sarahxcx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can you get an induction at the gym?
    I was a bit apprehensive about joining a gym, but when I joined our local one at the start of the year I got the induction which showed me how to use all the machines, and the instructor also gave me a programme to work on so I felt as if I knew where to start, now I love it.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I went to a new gym today thinking it would be empty I went 12 am at night it was packed. When I was in school I had a school psychologist who told me I have a problem with adapting to new surroundings. I started getting panic attacks I feel like cancelling my membership. I just felt so crap going into the gym I felt I was weak and puny. I know it's only a gym but I don't know why.

Everyone needs to start somewhere.

iv been going to a local gym because im fasting the only time i can workout is at night so this is only soloution
  • homegirl614
    homegirl614 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike mostly outside but the gym is important for winter and rainy days. This is the way I look at it. I want everyone to see how overweight I am. I want them to get used to seeing me. When I lose the weight I want them to witness it. So when I go into the gym at 95 overweight, go ahead and look, go ahead and judge. When that one person says, "damn you lost a lot of weight" it will be worth it.

I love this. It's kinda how I feel. When I first joined the gym, I felt like I was always the biggest one there which would cause me to not want to go. It used to freak me out. But then I figured, I don't care about these other people, I'm in here because I want to work hard. I zoned everybody else out and now I can't stay away from the gym. And yes, I get the compliments and they make me feel good.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Pinpoint what's bothering you. I too have problems with the unknown (and, like you, get panic attacks in result), but I get a little better when I look at the situation and say, "There! That's what's making me shut down!" Is it the noise? The lighting? The number of people? The fear of being judged or injured?

Go one more time and really listen to whatever your body is saying. If you get red flags in the weight lifting section, start panicking as soon as you enter the building, or feel uncomfortable on the cardio equipment try and figure out why. If you run away, you'll never get better. I've found that facing anxiety head-on has done wonders for me.

I was absolutely petrified of running in public and now I do it without thinking twice. I realized it was people looking at me that made me so nervous (if I trip, they'll laugh; if I go too fast or slow, they'll notice; if I breathe too hard, they'll think I'm dumb; etc.). I forced myself to run along heavily populated roads (I used to run on deserted streets and at weird hours so no one could see me) . Once I did that, I trained myself to watch the drivers and realized that NO one (with the exception of the occasional creep) was watching. And -- let's be honest -- the creep does not care about my speed or breathing.

You'll get there. It'll just take some time, patience, and bravery. :wink:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Keep trying, it's worth it. I used to be so scared to go to the gym. I started going to the tiny gym at my apartment complex because usually it was empty. But sometimes I would walk in, see someone in there, and turn around and walk right back out! (Without even thinking about it... it was like I physically COULDN'T make myself go in there when there were other people around). Especially because I'm a girl and I wanted to start lifting, and I thought I would look stupid trying to figure out the moves.

Late at night is actually a popular time for gyms because no one is at school/work! If you can, I've found the best time to go is around 10am or 3pm... times when people are normally working or in class. It's usually pretty empty then. I started going to my University gym (huge) and when I went at those times it was never crowded. And my apartment gym is always totally empty at those times.

I'm so glad I got over my fear of the gym because I've seen so much improvement since I started going. I don't know where I'd be if I had never started lifting! Plus, I live in Florida, and there are some days I absolutely can't bear to run outside (way too hot). Those are the times I'm really glad to have access to a treadmill!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Anxiety blows. Truly. I get it sometimes and totally out of the blue, sometimes I have no idea what even caused it. It can be debilitating and stop you in your tracks so I feel your pain. My advice though is to keep trying to go to the gym. If you give in and let it keep you from doing what you want to do it will grow and enter other parts of your life as well. Try thinking positive thoughts. Remind yourself that these fears are truly in your head, they are almost never really grounded in reality, that you will be fine and none of the awful thoughts you are thinking are actually going to happen. Stick it out as long as you can before leaving and next time you go try to stay a little bit longer. It may not be easy to do but don't let anxiety rule your life. Seek therapy if you can. Often talking with someone really helps me through it. They help me to distinguish between the fears in my head and the true reality of those fears. Sometimes I will need medication for a few days to get me over it. Also, don't let having anxiety issues make you feel negative towards yourself. It is far more common than you know and most everyone I know has dealt with it one way or another. I wish you the best!!
  • vickilowell
    vickilowell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I felt that way.....and so brought a safe good friend with me because I didn't want a stupid building filled with strangers to do that to me (kind of a rebellion against the panic)....do you have anyone you can do this with? If not, walk......I have walked off a lot of stress and weight in the early mornings and it's great having the entire neighborhood all to myself. Hang in there!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the gym is there for the same reason - they wanna keep fit, just like you! Whatever a person's goal, whether to build muscle, get stronger, run further/faster, lose weight, whatever, everyone had to start to somewhere! Good on you for getting in that gym and kudos to you for addressing your anxiety issues. You should be proud (and keep up the good work!).
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike mostly outside but the gym is important for winter and rainy days. This is the way I look at it. I want everyone to see how overweight I am. I want them to get used to seeing me. When I lose the weight I want them to witness it. So when I go into the gym at 95 overweight, go ahead and look, go ahead and judge. When that one person says, "damn you lost a lot of weight" it will be worth it.

That is a GREAT attitude. . . I love it!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Same here. Pushing yourself through is the way to go. At first I stayed on the elliptical or treadmill, thought I joined for the weights. I moved up to the machines and eventually the weights. I planned out my workouts before going in so I felt confident about my plan and using the weights.

For my final step, I have to do squats. I will bench but can't do squats with the bar, only body weight. My balance is terrible and I still have a fear but the body weight squats have helped. Baby steps!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I went to a new gym today thinking it would be empty I went 12 am at night it was packed. When I was in school I had a school psychologist who told me I have a problem with adapting to new surroundings. I started getting panic attacks I feel like cancelling my membership. I just felt so crap going into the gym I felt I was weak and puny. I know it's only a gym but I don't know why.

Don't give up on it yet. The packed gym at midnight could have been an anomaly. I used to work at a gym and sometimes it would get packed at times when it was normally dead. I can tell you that even at a college where students are night owls and medical residents and doctors have funky hours, even then midnight usually means a dead gym. Give it another go!
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Once I am on the treadmill, I take of my glasses, as I can see enough to see the MPH and heart rate info. Sometimes I walk with my eyes practically closed, just open enough to keep my balance and not get too far away from the front of the belt. I don't know you, but this may be the fight of your life and for your life. Your life is worth it. Amazing things can happen at any time.

Plus, studies just came out that working out decreases the anxiety response, over time.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Once I am on the treadmill, I take of my glasses, as I can see enough to see the MPH and heart rate info. Sometimes I walk with my eyes practically closed, just open enough to keep my balance and not get too far away from the front of the belt. I don't know you, but this may be the fight of your life and for your life. Your life is worth it. Amazing things can happen at any time.

Plus, studies just came out that working out decreases the anxiety response, over time.

Yes!! My anxiety has been greatly improved since I've started working out. Just a few weeks ago I felt a panic attack coming on rather quickly and I could feel that anxiety start to rush over me and I was able to self talk myself out of having one. I really believe the exercising has helped with this.
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    Honest truth brah, those guys could care less about you. And if you are in fast puny as you say, they dont even see you. they all have problems of their own, and reason why they are at the gym at 12 am. Focus on your lifts bro, eat train sleep and get big just like they did. Just dont be one of those guys with 5 sets of dumbells and 2 inclince benches in your spot claiming a circuit.. good luck brah and dont quit on your investment
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Honest truth brah, those guys could care less about you. And if you are in fast puny as you say, they dont even see you. they all have problems of their own, and reason why they are at the gym at 12 am. Focus on your lifts bro, eat train sleep and get big just like they did. Just dont be one of those guys with 5 sets of dumbells and 2 inclince benches in your spot claiming a circuit.. good luck brah and dont quit on your investment

totally agree! i'm a girl and i was one of the few who used the free weights at my last gym (i only stopped going cos i couldn't afford it anymore), not once did i get bothered by the blokes, probably cos i was one of the few people using 5kg lol

People only watching cos they're bored while resting between sets and you're right in front of them. They're not judging you in any way, no-one is. and if they are well hell, who cares? ;)

you are there to better yourself not make friends or impress anyone. If you're not sure about etiquette, just ask the nearest person if they're using that bench etc, most will say if they are or someone else is.

deep breath, dive in ;)
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

I dont know why everyone was bigger than me LOL so i was feeling uncomfortable LOL

The big guys started out smaller too. I respect anyone that actually gets into the gym at all. I hope that respect is reciprocated throughout.

BTW, I used to have issues with crowds, etc. Still do in a way.

Breathe... concentrate on yourself. Do you're workout for yourself and screw everything else.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress, and if you need some encouragement, just ping your friends here.

Cheers,
    Teddie

thank you for the words of encouragement.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I would use this as a stepping stone to work through this anxiety. Put your ear buds in and do in there and just do your thing. You arent there to impress or talk to anyone. You are doing this to better yourself. Dont just quit!
    I have to kind of agree with this. I could tell you to workout at home, like some others have...but suspect you're here on MFP to CHANGE YOUR LIFE! You can totally do this...and you're a lot stronger than you think!

Good luck, and hang in there. I'm sure lots of people are scared when they start something new.

thank you im 21 years old I felt like a idiot its only a gym. I dont know why I was feeling like this.
    Anxiety disorders are a real thing. Nobody CHOOSES to feel that way....but I bet you can work through it :drinker:

Don't be afraid to get therapy for it if you can. I have a family member who was extremely Agorphobic when she was younger (so much that she rarely left the house), and she went to threapy and is quite outgoing now!

Theres a member of my family that suffers the same as well
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Can you get an induction at the gym?
    I was a bit apprehensive about joining a gym, but when I joined our local one at the start of the year I got the induction which showed me how to use all the machines, and the instructor also gave me a programme to work on so I felt as if I knew where to start, now I love it.

I believe it is because it is a new gym and its diffrent surroundings which im not used to is why im feeling this way
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Pinpoint what's bothering you. I too have problems with the unknown (and, like you, get panic attacks in result), but I get a little better when I look at the situation and say, "There! That's what's making me shut down!" Is it the noise? The lighting? The number of people? The fear of being judged or injured?

Go one more time and really listen to whatever your body is saying. If you get red flags in the weight lifting section, start panicking as soon as you enter the building, or feel uncomfortable on the cardio equipment try and figure out why. If you run away, you'll never get better. I've found that facing anxiety head-on has done wonders for me.

I was absolutely petrified of running in public and now I do it without thinking twice. I realized it was people looking at me that made me so nervous (if I trip, they'll laugh; if I go too fast or slow, they'll notice; if I breathe too hard, they'll think I'm dumb; etc.). I forced myself to run along heavily populated roads (I used to run on deserted streets and at weird hours so no one could see me) . Once I did that, I trained myself to watch the drivers and realized that NO one (with the exception of the occasional creep) was watching. And -- let's be honest -- the creep does not care about my speed or breathing.

You'll get there. It'll just take some time, patience, and bravery. :wink:

thank you I am hopefully going to go back.