I would love some thoughts on this please

2»

Replies

• Hi,

I have had weight loss surgery and have learned a ton about nutrition in the last year. In that diet you are on how many grams of carbs are you ingesting in a day? It should be under 100g for a normal person (which I am not...I have to eat 30g of carbs or less) Carbs turn to sugar, sugar makes your body produce insulin and then you are hungry again. I eat a high protein, low carb diet. Maybe it's your carbs?? I don't see anything else you're doing wrong. 1200 calories with exercise should be good enough. Do you have a thyroid issue? or PCOS? Those things can create problems losing weight for people. I have hypothyroid and until it was in balance losing was hard for me too. PCOS makes it tough. I know a lot of people who have issues there too. As your medical doctor for a referral to a nutritionist or talk to a trainer at the gym....If it's not carbs, I am clueless....sounds like you are doing everything right!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, AND BEST OF LUCK!!!

Janine Alfke
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    resistaaaaaance.
  • Banya7
    Banya7 Posts: 11 Member
    Its possible you're at a plateau also. Those are hard to overcome but not impossible. You need to shock your system. Try new workouts. More intense. Adding strength training. Maybe smaller meals more frequently. Like every 3 hours?

It'll happen. Don't get discouraged!!:wink:
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    I don't know your age, but I plugged in the rest of the numbers (weight, height, sex) in the calculator and I put age 35 (not sure if it's close or not). Just your BMR is 1534. That's the calories your body needs just to breathe, brain to work, heart to pump blood, etc. You're eating WAY BELOW your BMR. You need to start eating more ASAP! No wonder you're not losing weight.
    You should be eating around 1800-1900 calories a day (when you work out).
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    If your metabolism "thinks" you are starving at1200 calories it needs to kick started:
    1 - weight training routines can be googled on the internet, or somthing as simple as push ups, sit ups squats and chin ups will help.
    2 - eat right before or after eating
    3 - eat spicy foods
  • sparkyiz
    sparkyiz Posts: 1 Member
    Lauren,
    I was in the same boat as you a decade ago. I went from 185 to 160 in 6 months before plateauing. It took another 6 months to reach 150 and 9 more months to reach my ideal of 140. (I'm also 5'6"). I fluctuate those last 10 lbs. more than I care to admit, but I'm human.
    It sounds like you need some strength training. Muscle burns more calories than fat. If you have access to an RD, go see one. Lots of grocery store chains have them. Make sure you're getting the right ratio of carbs, fats, & protein. Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame.
    You also might need to kick your workout up a notch. Try some interval training first thing in the morning, like jumping jacks for a minute followed by an 8-16 rep set of some light weight training. 7 minutes of this in addition to your regular routine can make a world of difference in kicking up your metabolism.

Also, make sure you're not underestimating your food intake. Use an inexpensive food scale for at least a week to get a grasp of true portion size. Also, try using the salad plate instead of the dinner plate.
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    I would suggest going to the doctor and let them do some blood work just to be sure that there are no serious conditions going on. This would help you to find out what kind of diet that would best suit YOUR needs. I have a thyroid problem and cholestrol problem amongst some other health issues so I am having to little by little put in place a tailored diet and excerise program just for me. Above all, I have found it less frustrating when I have stopped trying to do what everyone else is doing on their diets and excersize programs because I can only do what my health and body injuries allows me to do. I have a healing hip from a hairline fracture and a pin in my left knee that I have to consider too, so trying to keep up with everyone else can ctually bring mre harm to my health and body...... So I suggest the same for you by visiting your doctor first before seriously dedicating yourself to weight loss. Hope this helps :)
  • adugam52
    adugam52 Posts: 1
    I would say look at your salt intake, how much water you are drinking (are you drinking enough) and also as far as exercise try muscle confusion. Don't do just one type of exercise on the same days each week. For example if you are on the treadmill every day, try spin class one day, pilates or yoga another day and then run or use the eliptical another day. Sounds like your body wants to stay at a set point so trying this may shake things up a little bit. Good luck!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I'm currently at 250, and started at 376. I have been overweight my entire life as well. I'm actually logging things on MFP, and then converting that info to WW points, and it's worked (except for the last 3 months when I was recovering from surgery, going on vacation, and had a brain spasm).

I've found that when my weight's not coming off like I want it to (or expecting it to) it's usually because I'm not "being real" about my logging (or being to lax about it) and what I'm really having to eat. I tell myself I need to log "down to the condiments".

The other thing I've realized is that it also happens when I start having "crap" food like fried food or I've quit having healthy snacks or lean/healthy proteins - the "quality" foods. Also, make sure your Macros/TDEE are within the range for your height and weight....1200 calories might be too low.

Further, at least with me anyway, it's been more about what I've put in my body than what I do with my body. Meaning, what you eat is more important than the exercise. Exercise is great, and it helps you get toned and be healthy - yes. However, it's like putting cheap gas in your car and it starts knocking until you put better gas in it. I once put Chevron gas in my car. The car started knocking and when the weather turned cold overnight, the gas line froze. I had been using either BP or Shell....and never had those issues when I put gas in from one of those places. (Not trying to put down Chevron - just relaying an experience I had.)

Someone suggested going to a doctor and getting bloodwork done. That might not be a bad idea. There are lots of things that can interfere with weight loss efforts. Hormones, insulin resistance, thyroid...just to name a few.

It is hard work, and it is VERY frustrating. AND it takes time. Stick with it. You'll get there!
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    thank you for your replies. I do not have a strength training routine, I would like to but don't really know how to go about finding one. I am 5'6 to answer another question. As for the 1200 cals being too little, if I eat more, I will gain, simple as that. I think my metabolism is crap and eating more is not going to help me lose. I get the logic, but I think that some people are different, and from what I have experienced, for me to lose weight, I definitely cannot up my food intake.

I will open my food journal for people to take a look and give me some constructive criticism on. I really do appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

Make an appointment with your doctor before deciding how to eat , what to eat and how much excersice and such. No one can really properly tell you what o eat before you see a doctor because there may be a health issue to consider before you proceed. There may be a medical issue that can explain why you are not losing weight :)
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    1200 calories is not enough for your body weight and for the amount of workouts you do. Sorry, but yes, you need to eat more!
    The standard advice here would be to figure out your calories: TDEE - 20%.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    There are plenty of other calculators on the internet.

This.

When I first started I wasn't losing weight at 1200, even though I am pretty sedentary. But I bounced it up to 1300 and started losing.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    thank you for your replies. I do not have a strength training routine, I would like to but don't really know how to go about finding one. I am 5'6 to answer another question. As for the 1200 cals being too little, if I eat more, I will gain, simple as that. I think my metabolism is crap and eating more is not going to help me lose. I get the logic, but I think that some people are different, and from what I have experienced, for me to lose weight, I definitely cannot up my food intake.

I will open my food journal for people to take a look and give me some constructive criticism on. I really do appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

Ever occur to you that your metabolism is slow because you're eating so little? You're not eating enough. Just to give you a bit of perspective, I'm 5'3, a size 2, work out 6-7 days a week for at least an hour, and I eat almost 2k calories at day. I'm not gaining weight and since increasing my calories with my training plan (running and lifting heavy) my body has shed an insane amount of fat in a month....my abs and v-cut are making an appearance again!

Open your food diary so we can see what you're eating and give you tips.
  • jdayer
    jdayer Posts: 23 Member
    There are various metabolism problems that can cause huge problems in weight loss. I can't lose weight.

On the other hand my daughter recently lost 150lbs (9 months, so far) by becoming obsessed with eating healthy. So far she has not become overly obsessed, this last Sunday she ate a pulled pork BBQ sandwich for the first time in 9 months. She eats less than a 1000 calories a day typically.

Starvation diets can influence metabolism, but, if you are eating at least 800 calories a day I doubt if your body is going into starvation mode. It depends on the person though. Check with your doctor, but, in my experience most doctors are clueless about metabolism and just believe "energy in vs energy out" so they will think you are lying about what you eat and how you exercise.

My daughter and I go to the gym together and she loses weight and I stay the same. Don't be discouraged, regardless of what anyone tells you the health benefits from working out are worth the effort even without the weight loss. Personally, I just enjoy working out.
  • Then you are an exception, but not everybody is... most people can lose weight!

Joris S.
    weightloss-tips.eu