Crashing after workout

Options
I have been super tired lately after my cardio workout to the point where I have to take a nap for an hour or two. I eat a banana and 2 boiled eggs about an hour before and a protein shake after. I've increased my intensity a little but I wouldn't think I would crash so hard. Anyone else ever dealt with this? Help me fix it!

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    How much sleep are you getting per night?
    Most people (IMO) get a lot less sleep than they need. Most people think they can do well on 4-6 hours, in reality they probably need 7-9.
    Sleep is hugely important after working out, that's basically when your body does most of it's "repair and maintenance" type stuff.
    Try getting 8hrs sleep for a week or 2 and see how you feel.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    More carbs. Guessing you're doing low carb, right?
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I get at least 7-8 hours a night.
  • sweetpea813
    Options
    I'm not following a specific diet or anything. Just trying to keep within my calorie range. I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night. I drink a crap ton of water. Maybe I am just 'off' this week.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Eat more sleep more or exercise less basically. I'd recommend the first two more than the third option.

If you feel the need to sleep then perhaps sleep, probably what your body needs. If you don't have time for that then do less exercise so you don't require more rest. Eating more might help as well as with more fuel your body may need less recovery time.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Could it be related to your monthly? I know that sometimes when I ovulate or am on my period my workout can seem so much harder than normal.
  • sweetpea813
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Could it be related to your monthly? I know that sometimes when I ovulate or am on my period my workout can seem so much harder than normal.

Actually, I'm coming up on my monthly this week! Maybe that's it!! Now let me go eat some chocolate!
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I dunno about you but any time I up my intensity of exercise I need SO MUCH SLEEP for the first couple weeks. Like nine or ten hours a night sometimes? I just roll with it- sleep loads at night and have an extra coffee or two after my workout to stop falling asleep at my desk
  • Blondieee00
    Blondieee00 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lots of carbs and naps if possible. I crashed today..
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me as I started working out 66 days ago.. I finally figured out what to do.. eat protein and carb before you go in. (you need the carb for energy) .and save a bit for after it you need it. I do rice and chicken.. or I get half of a flat out wrap. put peanut butter powder spread and a few slices of banana roll it up and eat that ...that has worked just great.

i was worried there for a while.. how wiped out I was.. even shaky during my workouts.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm the energizer bunny and other days I'm the turtle. I find that when I work out hard 4-5 days in a row I'll have a day that I'm really fatigued, regardless of how well I'm sleeping at night. It used to worry me, but now I realize it's my body's way of letting me know that I need a rest day.