Feeling Suddenly Overwhelmed

Options
Hi all! Does anyone have any advice for when you suddenly feel overwhelmed? Sometimes it's hard to stay motivated despite the overwhelming feeling of impatience or frustration while working towards my goal. I know it's about a lifestyle change but sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough, could cut more calories, could work out more... Though I know I'm doing good so far (I weigh my food and hit the gym 6 days a week, and I've lost about 1lb a week so far over 7 weeks). Any ways just wanted to vent and see if anyone has advice for when they feel this way on their journey :) thanks!

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. You ARE losing the weight and in a healthy way. Time will pass and you WILL reach your goals. Don't overthink this. Just keep your eye on the prize and keep on keeping on.
  • viaTess
    viaTess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I've been so on and off diet/exercise is because I push too hard. For the past month I've only slipped a few times but have quickly corrected my wrongs, and now I FEEL the results.

It's the little things -
    I feel less out of breath when carrying the groceries up the stairs
    I feel more energy even on my yoga/stretch/therapy/recover day
    I feel less of an urge to overeat when I plan full and protein-packed meals
    I feel more awake at the crack of dawn, even though I still question whether it's logical to wake so early :)

Are you trying to say it's overwhelming going at the easier pace that will have long-term benefits?

We're definitely taught that RIGHT NOW is what we want and to look at the big picture, so I don't think it's so much your fault as it is the lies we are taught about change.

1lb a week is something! That's progress, and it's exciting! Try acknowledging the tiny successes in the same way you would celebrate the big ones we're brainwashed into thinking are a big emotional deal.

Today I weighed myself and I've lost some unexpectedly. I totally cried and made a big deal out of it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    You know it is about lifestyle change so keep that front and foremost.
    If you push too hard with your deficit or exercise you are more likely to burn out and achieve your goal slower.

A few months ago I went just a little overboard when I added in weight lifting without cutting back on the more cardio oriented stuff. Outcome- did badly at both, didn't progress, and ended up taking a month long break.
    I started back at a sustainable level, for me, and have progressed nicely.

You are doing great.

Cheers, h.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Honestly I had to let go of all those feelings. I'm much more peaceful now. Time is going to pass and you're either closer to your goal or you're not.
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As counter intuitive as it seems to try to lose slowly, taking it slowly now makes it physically easier in the future to maintain the loss and mentally easier because you had time to really learn and incorporate the necessary skills.
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you already know that actually, but sometimes it is good for me to remind myself. ;)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1 lb a week is great progress. Depending on your weight and ultimate goal, most people shouldn't be losing faster than that. Keep it up!
    Re: feeling overwhelmed, it helps to set small short term goals and to set goals in several areas, such as weight, inches, progress pics, fitness, steps, new recipes, etc. That way some things are always going well even if others are slow.
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! Yes it feels better to look at the big picture and that slow and steady wins the race. I've had bad days and good days but I think the key is to keep going after a bad day. I'm just so impatient sometimes! But I do see non scale victories like doing 15 non-modified push ups or being able to run 4 miles. Thanks for the supports guys! It really means a lot
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,433 Member
    Options
    time passes no matter what we do & you're loosing weight as time passes, it will happen. I feel frustrated when i think i'm not doing enough for my animal rescue,(which is my passion) or compare myself with what/how others are doing . I came across a saying by Mother Teresa I took to heart, she says:" Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love"I apply this to my eating plan too, love yourself, I do my best, I'm always learning how else i can do better & try different things but don't stress about the unknown ways I can do better.