deficit and macros...what are they?

Options
Hi
Im not sure what people mean when they are on about calorie deficit and macros.
Ive dieted in past but never even looked into these.
Can some one be kind enough to explain to me (in basic terms lol) what both mean.
I saw someone on here working out calorie deficit.. I dont get it...is this the amount of cals I should be trying to loose through execise in a week.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A deficit is eating fewer calories than you burn. MFP already sets you up with a deficit, so that is the amount you should be eating to lose in net calories (after exercise).

Macros are the breakdown of calories in the three main nutrients: carbs, fat, and protein.
  • edwardsjessica28
    edwardsjessica28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    so MFP has worked out that I should be consuming 1250 cals a day..is this the deficit then?

I saw a post where writer had put
    1lb=3500 cals
    3500 cals /7 days = 500 cals....then said that is how much deficit you should make to loose a 1lb a week.

I feel silly for asking as its probably really obvious but I do suffer with dyslexia but when you say A deficit is eating fewer calories than you burn

What if I dont actually burn any calories through exercise and im eatin 1250 cals a day...what does this mean?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can lose weigh without exercise. They've deducted 250 calories for every half a pound you chose as your weight loss goal per week. So if you said you want to lose a pound a week, MFP took your stats (age, height, weight, sex, and activity level) and determined that you burn, on average, 1750 calories a day through your day to day activity and basic bodily functions. So if you eat 1250 calories a day without exercise, you would lose a pound a week (theoretically, as weight loss is not linear...there will be times that you lose less, maintain, or even gain weight).
  • nicolec0916
    nicolec0916 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great basic explanation!
  • lancelyell
    lancelyell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you're at a calorie deficit you're burning more than your caloric intake. Everyone who is "dieting" and losing weight is at a caloric deficit. The problem occurs when you diet at too big of a deficit and you slow your metabolism too much. When that happens your dead in the water.

Macros are macronutrients. They're what make up your food. Proteins, fats, and carbs. For optimal health and results you need to have a good balance. Generally .8g of protein per lb of body weight, 20-30% fats, and carbs fill in the rest.

If you need help with meal plans or recipes shoot me a message. Always happy to help

Lance
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Macros are macronutrients - protein, carbohydrates, fats. The calories in foods come from these 3 things. Macros are measured in grams. Or in percentages of your total calorie consumption.
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of carbohydrate = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories
    There are different macro percentages recommended depending on your goals, MFP has a standard automatic setting that I think is something like 20% protein, 50% carbs, 30% fat. Bodybuilders may want to have a higher percentage of protein, and low carb or keto dieters may want to adjust their ratios to have less carbs... in my experience getting enough protein and not going over your carb percentage is helpful for weight loss.
    A deficit is eating fewer calories than your estimated daily calories that you burn. BMR (base metabolic rate) is the amount of calories your body needs just to exist (calories used to keep your heart pumping, lungs breathing, digestion functioning, etc), TDEE is total daily estimated expenditure which is your BMR plus calories you burn through activity (like walking, thinking, exercising, etc). You want to have a calorie deficit (eat fewer calories than you use in a day) so that your body utilizes fat stored on your body for energy and you lose weight. But you don't want too much of a calorie deficit or you will be too hungry, your metabolism will slow too much, and your body won't function properly.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    As a side note- alcohol is a 4th type of molecule, 1 gram of alcohol has 7 calories. So you can see it is almost as high calorie as fat is. Also your body sees it as a toxin so it wants to burn alcohol calories first to get it out of the body as quick as possible, so it stores the calories from the foods you have eaten as fat and burns the alcohol calories. So you want to avoid alcohol as much as possible when dieting or at least do not eat excess calories (go over your calorie limit) in combination with having drinks (which people often do) because not only is the alcohol itself high in calories, it also promotes fat storage (gaining weight). Just FYI.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @nicolec0916
    Welcome to MFP
    I recommend you read MFP "Most Helpful Post", at the beginning of this message board
    here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    Good luck in your healthy journey