40 fit and want to stay that way!

balfey
balfey Posts: 12 Member
edited October 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I'm a life long exerciser and love training. Prob 5 times plus per week. My exercises of choice are martial arts (kickboxing), running, circuits, Hiit, and weights. At 40 years old, I'm I'm pretty good shape and I want to stay that way. The effort I put in pays off, but I feel like I'm just going to have to continue to up the exercise and be more careful about what I eat as I get older.

What tips does anyone have about maintaining weight and good fitness? Ps. My diet is good sometimes and rubbish other times.

Any help or advice gratefully received!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Sounds like you have it sussed :smile:
    Diet being good 80% of the time generally keeps us maintaining nicely, at least I've found that to be the case.
    I have to say I am long converted to doing daily workouts, apart from one active rest day on the weekend. There's no doubt being active is what's helped me keep to my goal range (4 years at maintenance).
    Keep up the great work :smile:
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    If you want to stay fit, you are well positioned to do it. If you want to stay 40, you are out of luck.

I'm 48 and think about keeping exercise that I can sustain for a lifetime, so I do things that I see old people still participating in - yoga and jogging and walking, dancing, lifting weights. I figure I can keep doing these forever. I don't think you need to up the exercise so much as you get older, and the decreased calorie burn is real but minimal if you maintain most of your muscle mass. Meaning - a lot of the decreased calorie burn is from decreased physical activity.

Moderation, staying active, and just not getting fat, seem to be the keys.

Another vote for daily exercise, making it part of your routine.

Also recognize you can't control for everything, don't be too attached to the physical side of things, stuff can happen and you don't want to fall apart the first time you hit a bump in the road.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Didn't you create a post like this yesterday?

Don't worry about the future. Do the right things you can today.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I'm turning 40 soon and my plan is to keep doing what has been working for me.

- Daily moderate workouts. Lots of walking, weight-training and Pilates/barre workouts.

- Planning out my meals ahead of time.

- Getting lots of quality sleep.

- Continuing to researching and reading books on health and fitness.

- And lastly staying upbeat and positive. :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited October 2016
    I was where you are at 40. Starting just after that, my metabolism slowed down. So although I know I ate less and exercised the same, my weight crept up. Just a pound a year until 50, 2 pounds a year after that. That's easy to miss and you don't even notice it in your clothes because they all still fit (I'm quite tall, which exacerbates the problem). I've taken it all off - I'm back to my weight at 21 - and have maintained 4 years.

I recommend watching snacks and watching your scale and measurements. If you're doing all that you don't need to do it daily, but do it monthly. Take those seasonal weight gains seriously. If you find you've gained a little, lose it early.

You need to eat less as you get older. My husband and I together eat less than our 19.2 BMI 18 year old. It's just what happens. But you can remain fit and healthy. I never got overweight - even at my highest. But I look a lot better at this weight than I did 4 years ago, and feel better too.