Updating calorie target

Options
How often do you update your daily calorie goal? I only recently discovered that MFP won't do it automatically as weight is lost and went from 1670/day to 1490/day overnight because I'd lost 42 lbs & hadn't updated. So now I'm wondering how often to do it so it's not such a big change next time.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    General recommendation is after every 10 pounds lost
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I believe it is suggest that people update every 10 pounds, but you should also select a slower rate of loss as you get closer to your goal.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I update mine every day, but I'm weird...
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too. When we change our current weight, does that automatically change the target calories or is there another step?
  • indigrrl
    indigrrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @workinonit1956 It doesn't. That's what I'd assumed too. You have to go into settings and re-save (or change if you want) your preferences for rate of loss & activity level.

@usmcmp why a slower rate when closer? (I'm not even halfway yet, just wondering)

All: many thanks!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    As we lose weight we lose both fat and lean mass (connective tissues we don't need along with muscle). The larger your deficit near your goal the more likely you are to change the ratio of fat to lean mass loss, resulting in higher lean mass loss. Our bodies can only utilize a certain number of calories from body fat daily, anything beyond that will come from lean mass. You need lean mass to keep your BMR higher and prevent weight regain.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Indigrrl!
  • indigrrl
    indigrrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good to know, @usmcmp , thank you!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I update every weigh-in. I eat below my goal, but I like to see how much I can eat to lose 2 pounds per week if I was hungrier that day.