I Hate Exercise

Options
I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate the way I feel while I'm doing it (tired, out of breath, sometimes nauseated, achey). I hate how I feel afterward (tired and sweaty). I hate the way I feel the next several days (tired, tender, achey). I hate how much time it takes out of my days. I hate how poor it makes me feel, because gym memberships and equipment don't come cheap and most of it I can manage with bodyweight stuff and dumbbells but pull-ups just aren't a possibility.

I hate feeling weak and tired. When I don't exercise, I don't feel weak. I'm able to do everything that my day requires and I have energy for other stuff that I want to do. When I exercise, I feel tired all the time. I'm sick of it. I hate it. Did I mention that I hate it? I don't think it's possible to convey how much I hate it right now.

Replies

• Dutillini
    Dutillini Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always hated it too, but I've tried different types of exercises and found things that work for me. Maybe you need to look around for something that doesn't make you feel tired all the time?
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Maybe you need to change what you are doing? Maybe do more low impact at first and build up? Also, do it at home and skip any fees. The more you do it, the better it gets. I use to hate it and then i found something I really loved....dancing. I started small and built up. Now, I'm doing stuff I NEVER thought I would and I actually enjoy it! So start small, start slower, do something you actually like. The possibilities are endless, but if there isn't at least something you enjoy about it at first, it's hard to stick with. Try new stuff, keep trying until you find what works.... dancing, swimming, walking, kickboxing, water aerobics, zumba, hip hop, ballet, yogax pilates...... There is SO much out there.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oh my goodness.. it seems very unhealthy for you.

Solution to your pocket book, cancel the membership and sell your equipment

solution to your hating exercise, stop doing it. Grandma used to say if "it hurts when you do that, stop doing that". same principle here..

Do something else, you don't have to exercise..it not a prerequisite or anything..maybe find an active hobby.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Find something you love! I got into climbing (bouldering, specifically, so I didn't have to have a partner) and I really enjoy it. This not only givese exercise I love, but weight loss, cardio, and strength training now help me achieve what I want, to climb harder problems. So look around and find an activity you really enjoy!
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Walk, hike, swim, dance, skate, ski, bike. And I'm not even using my imagination.
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Echoing what everyone else has said. Cancel your gym membership if you hate it so much. I didn't like the gym either. So, I started belly dancing. And I try running a couple of days per week because I enjoy it. I do Tabata a couple of times per week because I need to build strength.

There's a wealth of options out there for you - what are you interested in doing?
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    make sure you are drinking water and fueling your body- I was told to eat something with protein within hour after workout. And as others have suggested --find an active activity that you enjoy.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I suspect that you're pushing yourself too hard and not eating enough to sustain it. Aching sure, if you've hit yourself particularly hard, but nausea, tiredness, breathlessness etc? Sounds like you're forcing your body to do too much on not enough energy.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to convey how much I hate it right now.

:D:D:D for some reason i want to say 'thanks for this.'

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I suspect that you're pushing yourself too hard and not eating enough to sustain it. Aching sure, if you've hit yourself particularly hard, but nausea, tiredness, breathlessness etc? Sounds like you're forcing your body to do too much on not enough energy.

I'm inclined to agree. If it makes you too tired all day and even affects next day then you are likely doing too much and/or not fueling your activity enough. If cardio is hard, start by taking a walk and gradually increasing your speed. If strength training is hard, start by picking up a smaller weight/doing a modified body weight exercise. If you hate the act itself, look for something that you enjoy better. Maybe some some team sports with friends? Some Wii exercise games (if you have one)? "Adventure" type group hikes? Even some goat yoga. The possibilities for all kinds of activities are endless, from conventional to flat out weird.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've gone from saying I can do anything for a minute, two minutes, three minutes...you get the picture. I LOVE the group fitness place I've discovered near my home. The instructors and attendees have pushed me beyond where I thought I could ever go in my 50's including my first 5K's this summer. To me it's worth the feeling of being strong!

The most surprising feeling was when I reached in my back pocket and felt the results!! :blush:
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Exercise is great for you and going to a gym isn't the only way to exercise. There are lots of fun things to do to get exercise. Many are cheap or free and some don't even require you to leave the house.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Exercise is just moving. If you hate what you're doing, do something else. Walk, jog, ride a bike, swim, dance in your living room, jump rope while watching TV, do calisthenics and body weight exercises at home, play soccer, do yoga.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish by spending so much time and money on something that makes you miserable? Chances are there is another way to get there. You don't have to be miserable and in pain to get fit or healthy.