Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HIP ADDUCTION & HIP ABDUCTION MACHINE

evenich837
evenich837 Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
nf2e36bojipn.jpg
Do these machines really work? I have been reading online and saw that they don't really help. Help please! :) I am attempting to tone up my inner thigh and outer thigh while still gaining muscle. I don't want to have super thin legs, thick muscular legs is the goal!!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    You'd be better off doing compound exercises such as squats and deadlifts. Barbell hip thrusts as well.

If you do use it, don't make eye contact lol
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    If you're working your muscles hard enough, they'll progress. Whether that's on a machine or with freeweights, whatever. Those machines will only target specific muscle groups (nothing wrong with that) but as Samantha said, compounds are better in terms of hitting more muscles, generally harder, In a shorter amount of time.

In my gym those machines are facing the walls so no awkward eye contact
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    do squats and deads.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Sometimes I use the outer thigh one. Sitting closer to the edge of the seat. It's just something extra. Bret Contreras recommends it in his book Strong Curves. In addition to a well rounded strength training program. Can be helpful in recovery from an injury. I don't do it anymore because I have weights at home. But, if I was going to a gym I would include it. If you like doing it. The only other machine I would probably use is the kickback type. You will see a benefit. It's certainly not worthless.
  • BinaryPulsar
    ^I know! Lol! That's why I decided to get weights at home.
  • BinaryPulsar
    But, the most obscene exercise is probably the Cable Pull-Through. It's in the book The New Rules of Lifting for Life. On page 100. Listed as a Hinge exercise. Like Deadlifts are a hinge exercise. Actually looks like they list glute bridges under hinge exercises also. This is a book for people dealing with Injury rehabilitation.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    I personally love doing them. I usually do them along with some leg extensions as a finisher type of exercise (after my squats, hip thrusts, and leg press) on one of my leg days.

They certainly do target the muscles in this area, there's no doubt about that. What they wont target is fat in that area. So.... yeah.

p.s. my gym has them facing a wall. ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Couple of years ago, my manager interviewed a prospective personal trainer who, during the interview, referred to them as the "good girl/bad girl" machines.

Needless to say, the interview ended at that point.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    Couple of years ago, my manager interviewed a prospective personal trainer who, during the interview, referred to them as the "good girl/bad girl" machines.

Needless to say, the interview ended at that point.

LOL. I've also heard it referred to as the "Yes/No" machine.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I think weighted squats, dead lifts, glute bridges, and lunges would do a lot more for your legs than an isolation machine.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I do hip abductions with a band either seated or in hip thrust position..but I do it more as accessory work.. I would prioritize compound exercises as mentioned.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    We call them wh0re and anti-wh0re machines. Ahahah!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Abductor training is good if you are a runner for adding stability.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    I can lift the stack on the adduction so I don't use it anymore. Abduction is another story, much weaker there. I like the other lifts suggested above, better.