Did everything right, gained weight?

Options
emilieradke
emilieradke Posts: 14 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
This past week I did everything I usually do to lose weight. It's worked every week in the past too (it's been about 7 weeks). I ate the same number of calories, weighed my food, etc.

The only difference is that instead of doing 4 days of 30 mins on the treadmill, I did 4 days of 30 mins on the elliptical. But I felt like the elliptical kicked my butt way more than the treadmill. If anything, my treadmill workouts became a bit easier and the elliptical was hard. I put it on a decent resistance and I used the arms too.

I also feel like I maybe am not drinking enough water, but I'm not sure. I usually drink about this much and it never caused a problem.

Could the elliptical be so ineffective that it caused me to gain 1.5lbs this week? If it's not the elliptical, why else would've I done what I usually do and saw such a huge gain? I'd be okay if it was a few ounces, that could easily be something small like having to use the bathroom...but 1.5lbs?? I'm just so confused.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It could be the elliptical, if you're going at a higher intensity than you are on the treadmill. Other factors could be if you had a sodium-heavy meal in recent days or are at/nearing TOM. Read the link provided above. This is completely normal, even when you reach maintenance.
  • philipfoster76
    philipfoster76 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The post by try2again is spot on. Also...you're a teenage girl...not making any assumptions, but you can hold a lot of weight during your period. Plus, with the change of workout your body can hold weight due to the added stress or because it is in the process of adding muscle. Those are just the tip of the iceberg with variables that can effect your daily weigh-in. Don't stress. You're making good decisions, keep calm and keep on going. You'll get to where you want to be.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not always a straight line- I usually go down down down, then up up, then down down down, then same, same, up up, down down down... etc. I doubt it was your exercise but you could always go back to the treadmill and see if it makes a difference? More likely excess salt in your diet or hormones making you bloated. Also 7 weeks in can be a plateau - if you've been steadily losing you may need to reevaluate your calories for your new weight, or your body could be adapting to your workouts and need to change things up.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I lose a few pounds, then i regain it back 1-4 pounds in water. Then in a week or two i shed the water weight and go down below my lowest weight. Thats how i lose at least, down, up, further down, up, further down. Ive gone on 19 days when i have been 3 pounds over my lowest weight. Just give it time.