Early morning gym sessions, do you eat before them?

Options
Just wondering what others do. I go to the gym between 4:30-5am and I don't normally eat but got told I should...

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I never do. But only cause I feel weird exercising in a full stomach. I eat afterwards.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ps aren't the 4.30 workouts just awesome????
    I love them!!!!!
  • 3181nike
    3181nike Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best way to start the day!
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I do, but then again my earliest is 8 am or so.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Personal choice.. I workout at 5:30 and do not... I just can't way to early..
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Most of the time no. I go at 6:30-7. If I shower there before work I'll take it with me. On the weekends when I go at 8-9 I might eat. Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't either. I'm usually not hungry until 7-8am anyway.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have at least a banana before the gym.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have an apple or a banana on my way there, otherwise I get dizzy.

ETA: I drink 2 cups of coffee and a glass of water too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I run fasted in the morning.

When I used to go to the gym to lift in the morning, I did it fasted. I just can't eat in the morning.
    I lift in the afternoon now, and I do eat before going.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry at gym time, I bring a smoothie with me to the gym and sip on it as I work out. I have a 24 ounce leak-proof shaker cup.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    3181nike wrote: »
    Just wondering what others do. I go to the gym between 4:30-5am and I don't normally eat but got told I should...

Nope, if you don't feel like eating prior to the gym you should not.

On weekdays I'm at the gym at 5 a.m. and never eat before. I love working out in a fasted state.

On weekdays, I go later in the morning or in the afternoon, so I do eat a few hours before.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    The only thing you should listen to on this topic is YOUR BODY. You read all sorts of advice on this and hear it also on talk shows. "Work out in the morning on an empt stomach so you body continues its fat burning mode from not eating all night..." blah blah. Well, I about hit the ground 30 or 45 minutes into my workout if I don't properly fuel my body for my workout.
    I eat a combination of a protein and carb before any work out during the day.. or if I can eat breakfast and workout right after or lunch.. i do. But i must eat before a workout.. i'm using weight. looking fit.. it works for me.

Do what is right for you.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I always workout fasted. I feel sick if I eat before a work out. It also makes me feel slow and sluggish. I start my workout between 4:30am and 6am depending on the day!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Unless I feel like leaving a gift for the local wildlife half way through my run, I generally don't have anything solid in the mornings. I have a miso soup (helps me with salts since I sweat so much) and a berocca at least an hour beforehand, but that's it.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I find I can't lift as well on an empty tank, so I generally go with something light like 2 eggs, one piece of toast, cup of coffee.

But do whatever works for YOU. It's your body.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Lifting I will eat first, which sometimes sucks because I'm at the gym by 5, and have to eat super early. Cardio I do fasted.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can't eat early either and I'm up and out of the house by 6am to get to the gym for lifting. I just make sure to have a proper breakfast once I get into the office
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Always, at least a piece of fruit or a protein bar