Yo yo weight loss

Options
I've been losing the same 7 - 21lb for about 3 years. The second I stop merticulously logging everything I do and eat then the weight creeps back on. I began at 1200 calories which caused huge loss, but an even bigger yoyo. Now I'm trying to make healthy second nature.

Do you have any tips for embedding a healthy lifestyle so that it becomes second nature to maintain a healthy weight?

For info I'm usually at the higher end of my BMI but always within the healthy range. My waist measurement is too high re diabetes. I'm very light boned. My partner and I have multiple food intolerances which restrict some food options.

We rarely eat out. We usually drink limited alcohol. I walk quite a bit and swing dance at least once a week (I hate gyms). I've bought smaller plates to help with portion distortion. I'm trying to separate my intake amounts from my partner who needs many more calories than me just to maintain weight.

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You need to keep weighing your food. You answered your own question. You gained once you stopped monitoring your food intake.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've done the same and I've decided this is the last time. I am going to have to log most of my food forever and that's just something to accept if you want to mantain but don't have the ability to do it on your own.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It might not be what you want to hear, but do NOT stop weighing and logging once you hit your goal weight, so many people fall into this trap and end up regaining the weight they worked so hard to lose.

Once you're back down to your goal keep doing what you did to lose the weight, obviously eating your maintenance calories, do this for as long as it takes until it becomes a normal part of your daily life.
    And above all, weigh yourself regularly so you can nip any weight gain in the bud!!

Ive been logging my food everyday for over 2 years, and I'm still not ready to give it up. It's just become a really quick ritual that every morning i prelog my day, takes less than 5 minutes. I'm so used to doing it that i don't even think about it anymore, it's just another part of my day like brushing my teeth or whatever.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Many people log forever. I for one, don't want to do that. But you also mentioned how you hate gyms.. I think if you exercised you would maintain much easier.

I saw this helpful list I saw on the maintenance thread.. it is what I do now as I lose weight.

here the the things people who lose weight and keep it off do..

1. eat breakfast
    2. exercise an hour a day
    3. watch less than 10 hours of t.v. a week
    4. made a healthy lifestyle change
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Honestly look at what you eat, figure out if there's something that's sneakily adding calories, maybe not instantly, but over time. Mine was Coke. I've gone from 2-3 a day to less than 1 a year, instead drinking diet.
    here the the things people who lose weight and keep it off do..

1. eat breakfast
    2. exercise an hour a day
    3. watch less than 10 hours of t.v. a week
    4. made a healthy lifestyle change

Number 3 is debatable, I don't watch TV but on my days off from work I'm usually on my PS4 all day.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Some insight from someone who's maintaining for over 1.5 years now: I still weight my food. Not every day, but I do for a few days every month still simply because I know I'm rubbish at estimating and because my portions keep on increasing over time. Another option might be to shelf the scale for now and keep an eye on your weight. If it goes up past normal fluctuations it's time to get the scale out again.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You have reach that point of desperation. The point where you want it bad enough. Then you'll adhere to it. Also start of with something you can see yourself doing long term. Short fixes never last.