Dehydration/Rehydration

For the last 25 years, I've been a a yo-yo dieter. My weight when I'm committed to a lifestyle change... weighing, measuring, and tracking is around 145lbs. My weight when I'm not is around 175lbs. I've probably fluctuated between the two weights at least 20 times :(

I currently 160 and trying to get back down to 145.

Typically when I am eating very healthy, I feel SO MUCH BETTER... but not this time. I've been to both a medical clinic, and to my primary care doctor, who have both noted a high blood pressure and pulse (borderline high, no real medical scare yet). My doctor seems to think this is due to dehydration (I do not have any known heart issues). Thinking back, my last few years of lab work have shown my urine to be highly concentrated, so its likely that I've probably been dehydrated for years. In all honesty, I've probably never drank enough water. Its not that I don't like water, I do. I just tend to forget about it when life gets busy.

Over the past few days I've made a conscious effort to drink more water, and I'm still not feeling up to par. I've added cucumbers and watermelon to my diet. My biggest question is: Does anyone know how long it takes to rehydrate if dehydration is chronic? A few days? A week? Longer?

I'm tempted to pick up some Pedialyte, BUT, I've seen the list of ingredients and am a little concerned that I'll GAIN weight... which is the last thing I want to do. Maybe I should try it anyway, as my overall heart health is more important than my weight loss, and drinking it is only temporary until I'm fully rehydrated. Coconut water is another option, but I've not researched it enough to pick a brand yet.

Has anyone else experienced this type of dehydration? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited October 2016
    I see improvements within a day or two. Hard to say when you'll be 100% back to normal, but you should see a lightening of your urine within 24 hours. If you don't, there may be other things going on.

There are apps you can use to remind you to drink more. Pedialyte is for those who have lost electrolytes, from diarrhea, etc. If you're eating healthy, i would drink straight water. :+1:
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    You can get liquid minerals at just about any health store that you can mix into your water if you want to try it. They aren't expensive, and they don't have the added sugar of the pedialyte.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Typically dehydration can be resolved in a few days by fluid replenishment. However, it sounds like there might be more going on. Normally dehydration leads to low blood pressure, not high, due to decreased volume in the blood. Please follow your doctor's recommendations and don't start self treating by picking up random remedies at the store. I'm sure you'll be able to get this sorted out with your doctor.
  • Kim_Cat
    Kim_Cat Posts: 5 Member
    The way my primary doctor explained it was something like: "when you are dehydrated, your body will attempt to hold onto sodium, which will then help you retain your fluid, making you feel less dehydrated. When your sodium is higher and you are retaining fluids, it can restrict your capillaries, and therefore your blood doesn't flow the same, and the blood pressure rises due to the heart working harder. When you are properly hydrated, none of this will happen". I am not sure if I said that accurately, but the way she explained it made sense. She never once mentioned dehydration causing "low blood pressure". Before this month, my blood pressure was always on the low side of normal. My doctors only orders were to rehydrate myself, and if I didn't feel better, then she would refer me to a cardiologist who could actually run a test that simulates the dehydration, to see how my heart reacts. Obviously I'm trying to avoid the cardiologist. It just seems like the rehydration is happening slower than I'd like...
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    I have also been told that dehydration causes low blood pressure and being well hydrated will cause it to be slightly higher. The last time I gave blood my blood pressure was about 95/50 which is lower than my normal 120/60. I asked if being well hydrated might be the reason as I had drunk a lot of water in preparation for my donation which is when I was told it will cause a higher blood pressure reading.

But then I've never had my blood pressure taken when severely dehydrated.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Rehydration takes a couple days. If you want the electrolytes without the calories try gastrolyte.

The HBP might be causing your malaise. Check your BP regularly (even drug stores have free checkers) and keep following up until you start feeling better.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    get a big-*kitten* bottle and drink it during the day. I bought a 2.2 litre bottle of water. I drink it at work. I've already drunk over half of it in the last 1.5 hours - this always happens on a MOnday because over the weekend I forget to drink when I'm at home, so come Monday I am a guzzle-monster.

It really helps though because rememebering to drink and counting cups etc can be annoying. This way I see the thing in front of me and just keep sipping at it (and going to the bathroom...)

• Kim_Cat
    Kim_Cat Posts: 5 Member
    So I'm guessing dehydration can raise blood pressure if your body attempts to correct by adjusting sodium, otherwise, dehydration can lower blood pressure. Either way, I am going to keep drinking water and monitoring.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Typically 24-48 hours. Try a colorful Yeti cup with a lid and straw and bring it with you everywhere. The ice and water stay super cold. Good excuse to get up and move around to refill water and pee.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Typically dehydration can be resolved in a few days by fluid replenishment. However, it sounds like there might be more going on. Normally dehydration leads to low blood pressure, not high, due to decreased volume in the blood. Please follow your doctor's recommendations and don't start self treating by picking up random remedies at the store. I'm sure you'll be able to get this sorted out with your doctor.

These are my thoughts as well. @Kim_Cat, I suggest your push your doctor for further testing. :)