Wasting my time with routine?

4 day routine.

6ft 2 170lbs

Goal of 200.

Going at 3500 calories so far for the first week.

Routine.

Chest

Flat bench 3 sets 135 x 10 155 x 8 165 x 6. At 5th and 6th rep I can barely move it off.

Cable Press 3 sets 10 reps. Weight is 35lb per arm.

Upper chest workout with cables really low and sort of doing an uppercut. I don't know the name of this.

Sitting chest flies in the machine. 3 sets 10 reps. 115lbs and I go up 10lbs each set. On the last set I am exhausted.

Back is lat pull down wide grip. 3 sets 10 reps. 120, 140, and 160lbs.

Close grip mar pull down very close grip. 120 140 160 all 10 reps.

Bent over dumbbell rows. 3 sets of 10. 65lbs 70lbs and 75lbs.

Then I lay on a bench and extended a single dumbbell over my head and drop it behind my head like a triceps work out but it's for Lats and a bit of chest. 3 sets of 10 55lb dumbell.

Chest in one day back the next. Then I do arms one day and legs/shoulder the next. I'll explain that workout as well when I get a minute.

Replies

• jyanco0503
    jyanco0503 Posts: 12 Member
    Arms I do

Dips 3 sets of 10. I can't do weighted because I don't have a belt yet for my waist. But the 3x10 is really easy as I am not heavy.

Skull crushers with w curl bar2x10 at 50 and 1x10 at 60lbs.

Tri cep push downs with the rope and cable machine. 3x10 130lb 140lb 150lb

Same cable machine with a flat bar I do reverse curls 3x10 same weight as above to work the back of the arm opposite the bicep sees to work most of the triceps.

For biceps I do

3x10 at 60lbs w bar standing curls.

Standing curls with dumbbell. 3x10 at 35lbs each arm.

Inside curl 3x10 30lbs. I don't know the name. I just sort of do a hammer curl but I keep it inside my body and go across my stomach up to my chest and towards my chin but go inside instead of outward. Sort of like a thumbs up motion.

Use cable machine to do simuletenous curls. Where I take one cable each hand stand in the middle and curl each arm at the same time.

And then a preacher curl machine 3x10 85lbs 105lbs 105lbs.

Shoulders are bad for me as I have shoulder damage on my left shoulder.

I do sitting dumbbell military press with 45lbs 3x10.
    Shrugs with barbels 3x10. 135, 185, 205
    Shrugs dumbbell. 65lbs 3x10.
    Sitting in the chest flu machine with my chest to the pad I do the workout for working the Deloris's and back.

Can't do much pushing on the delts as the left side makes me want to cry with pain. Some days a single push up is no achievable.

Please don't tell me not to workout. Ice seen military men with one arm and they are huge with great strength.

I don't have the $$ for any corrective action on my shoulder. The injury has not been diagnosed. I don't believe it's rotator cuff injury from research.

I just want tips on my crap program. I do get stronger. 2 months ago I wasn't st these current numbers for weight. But how can I improve this routine.

I've read some of the workout routines in the must read section. None are really similar to mine.

Some use or most use deadlifts. I don't really want to start then yet. My brother doesn't do any legs or deadlifting and he is 5ft10 184kbs at 14% body fat. So I know legs are not a necessity but mine are toothpicks compared to him.

He does a very similar workout but he had gotten big where I haven't. He also uses much heavier weight as he is much stronger.

I'm 29 years old if that helps with any tips.
  • jyanco0503
    And for legs not much but

Leg press 3x10 225, 225, 315.

Leg curls 3x10 140lvs

Leg extension 3x10 140lbs same day as shoulders.

I also spend 2 minutes between each set as I have read articles that point to a longer recovery between sets allows further / heavier weights for the next set and bigger gains over all as in the research and studies conducted.
  • jyanco0503
    I typed all this on my cell phone.

Bad grammar and english due to typos and auto correct and little time to fix errors.
  • jyanco0503
    Thank you filbo. The more you know.

I will consider the split so I can work out the muscles twice. Thank you for the insight.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    What about squats and deadlifts?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hard to know where to begin.

To gain weight and muscle, you simply need to eat more and lift heavy. At 6'2" 170#, 3500 cals/day doesn't seem like enough. If you're not gaining yet, eat more.

Your workout also seems like a mess. It's all over the place. Simplest is best.

I'd suggest sticking w/the Big 3 or 4 - - squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press - - and limit the amount of accessory work to dips, decline pushups, pull or chinups, GHRs and SLDs, GMs and/or RDLs.

You can do linear progression to start (look up Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe for one such program) and then switch to an intermediate program (like Madcow, Texas or 5/3/1, look them up) after you plateau in 6-12 months.

Eating more to promote weight and strength gains and lifting heavy in a more focused way should achieve the results you want in a year or 2. Good luck.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    look into a structured lifting program with progressive overload built itno it like strong lifts, wendlers, upper/lower split, PHUL, PHAT, etc....
  • jyanco0503
    Thank you for the responses. Maybe the way I wrote down my workout makes it look all over. But it's simply.

Chest one day.
    Back next day.
    Arms next day
    Shoulders and legs.
    One day rest.
    Or two depending on work / life. Then start over again. No matter what day it is.

But I will take the advice and look into the programs and also keep the accessory workouts less.

Thank you again.

And I started with 3500 cals cuz that's what the app said. But I don't think it's enough. I will be upping it. But didn't want to just jump into like 4,000 and have my body's metabolism get shocked.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    The internet has a multitude of programs for people of all lifting abilities. Find one that sounds good, follow it for 12 weeks and then assess if you've made the progress you are after.

Regarding calories; set MFP up correctly, choose gain 0.5lbs a week and eat at that until your weight gain stalls. This could take 4-44 weeks. If you try to gain faster than that you will likely gain too much fat!
  • jyanco0503
    So after some research and guidance from forum members I have decided to go with the Wendker (5/3/1) program. Today I went to the gym and obtained my 1 rep max on bench press squat dead lift and military press (barbell).

225lbs bench press

225lbs squat (felt I could get a bit more, not much, maybe 10-20lbs. But my knees would turn in a bit and my form would not be ideal so I stuck with 225. My legs are weak for sure.

265lbs for dead lift, and similar as above. Form would suffer from more weight. So i stayed at 265lbs.

165lbs for barbell military press.

From what I read I start at 90% if those values and then calculate what % of that I do for the reps for that week and calculate every week the new weight I should be lifting.

Thanks for the insight guys. Look forward to the next 4 weeks go to see some gains so long as I put in the effort and eat the calories.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    jyanco0503 wrote: »
    So after some research and guidance from forum members I have decided to go with the Wendker (5/3/1) program. Today I went to the gym and obtained my 1 rep max on bench press squat dead lift and military press (barbell).

225lbs bench press

225lbs squat (felt I could get a bit more, not much, maybe 10-20lbs. But my knees would turn in a bit and my form would not be ideal so I stuck with 225. My legs are weak for sure.

265lbs for dead lift, and similar as above. Form would suffer from more weight. So i stayed at 265lbs.

From what I read I start at 90% if those values and then calculate what % of that I do for the reps for that week and calculate every week the new weight I should be lifting.

Thanks for the insight guys. Look forward to the next 4 weeks go to see some gains so long as I put in the effort and eat the calories.

Just FYI, there is a Wendler's app you can download to help track your progress.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I can say that I don't like your workout. I prefer starting heavy and then gradually lower the weight, for example,my BB Bench Press would be 215lbs on the first set, then 195lbs on the second, 175lbs on the third and 165lbs on the fourth set. Here is why http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/pyramid-sets-vs-reverse-pyramid-training-vs-straight-sets/ .I am also not a fan of the bro split (hitting one muscle group per week), I prefer the push pull legs or upper/lower split...it has also been proven to be more effective since your hitting various muscle groups twice per week without taxing the body.

I do this as well. That way your muscles aren't completely exhausted when you're trying to increase those high weight reps or hit a new PR.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    jyanco0503 wrote: »

225lbs bench press

I do that too! I know I can get more than 200 lbs. but my form is off and I don't hit below parallel so I don't count it. Work on upping your reps and perfecting your form at 225 lbs. for 3-4 weeks and then try to hit a higher weight.