Need an Advice !

Options
Iam on week 6 of stronglifts, 5'2 my starting weight was 124lbs, my goal was to gain strength lose fat and hopefully gain some newbie muscles!
I knew getting results was not going to be easy hence my goals maybe mutually exclusive as some would say, BUT I didn't know i'll end up 8 pounds heavier!!
On the first 2 weeks i kept my calorie intake around 1650 but i was miserably hungery all the TIME!! And i was still gaining weight, the lifts where so hard to pull although i was just beginning with bar weights!
I got frustrated of being tired and hungry so I started adding calories, this time too bad i wasn't counting just estimating. Maybe i ended up eating 2000 calories a day. Which was supposed to be my TDEE mantainace according to an online calculator.
So what do you guys think? should i let go the recomp idea and start Cut/bulk cycles.. if i cut my lifts will suffer and iam just beginning, if i bulk i'll get way heavier than I could mentally handle :(
Regarding lifts I started with bar weights my results currently are:
Squat: 48 kg (105 lbs)
Deadlifts: 63 kg (138 lbs)
Bench and OHP: 23 kg (50 lbs)
Row 30 kg: (65lbs)

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Why cut while doing strong lifts? You will keep progressing if you stay at a slight surplus. Here's my question.....when are you competing? Do you have to lose weight for a show? Does your body image make you money by looking a certain way? Unless you can answer yes to those or you're obese and your health is in danger, there's no reason to go into a cut. I would say maintain what you are doing and just slowly progress in weight and strength. 8 lbs in 6 weeks isn't a lot, especially since a lot will be more glycogen and water retention due to increased exercise and overall calories. I would say go in a slight surplus though and not a recomp phase hoping for newbie gains. It's not efficient
  • fatimaelmustafa
    fatimaelmustafa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Why cut while doing strong lifts? You will keep progressing if you stay at a slight surplus. Here's my question.....when are you competing? Do you have to lose weight for a show? Does your body image make you money by looking a certain way? Unless you can answer yes to those or you're obese and your health is in danger, there's no reason to go into a cut. I would say maintain what you are doing and just slowly progress in weight and strength. 8 lbs in 6 weeks isn't a lot, especially since a lot will be more glycogen and water retention due to increased exercise and overall calories. I would say go in a slight surplus though and not a recomp phase hoping for newbie gains. It's not efficient

Thanks for the reply! .. and to answer your questions, no i don't plan to compete or anything. but will going on a surplus + SL help me lower my body fat percentage without having to cut in the future??!!
    My weight is in the healthy range but i do want to lower my body fat percentage.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Feed your growing muscles. As they grow and work, they'll be taking more from your reserves, and you'll be pushing them harder. It's a glorious cycle that tends to lead to fat loss and muscle/strength gain. (As long as you don't overdo it)