Regardless of form/ weight....deadlifts cause pain

Options
2»

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I too would like to see a video. I used to have similar issues with the deadlift and it turned out that my form was crap. It looked pretty decent at a glance (even on video) but a close analysis of technique quickly cured me of any problems.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I firmly believe that back pain doing deadlifts is primarily caused by bad form. You can just Goggle "deadlift and back pain" for numerous articles on this point.

While stress is definitely placed on the lower back, if the back is fixed and the initial pull to beyond the knees is done from the hips and does not involve the back, there shouldn't be so much stress placed on the lower back to straighten up to cause pain or injury there. If there is it's caused by bad form and/or too much weight or perhaps by a chronic physical condition aggravated by doing conventional deadlifts.

An alternative, already mentioned, is to try doing trap bar lifts, which are much less stressful on the lower back because you do a trap bar lift w/you back in an essentially vertical starting position. If you can do trap bar deadlifts w/o pain, then there must be something wrong w/your form and/or back that causes back pain when doing conventional DLs.

The way to test this theory is to try doing some trap bar deadlifts to see if you stii experience any back pain or not.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    VIdeoing your form - like others have said - would be great so you (and we) can truly see your form.

Also, where is the bar when you lift? Meaning, is it drifting out in front of you? I think I've finally broken it, but I had a habit of letting the bar drift out when I lifted. Basically, the closer it is to you, the less strain you're putting on your back compared to when it drifts out. I've tweaked my back a couple of times deadlifting and both times I knew when I done it what caused it - bar position.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP I know you're not a noob a lifting or anything but I'm just curious about how low you say you sink your hips to sumo. If you're too low, your hips could be rising early and that might cause some back pain.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »
    Post a video of you deadlifting.
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I too would like to see a video. I used to have similar issues with the deadlift and it turned out that my form was crap. It looked pretty decent at a glance (even on video) but a close analysis of technique quickly cured me of any problems.
    sarahkw04 wrote: »
    VIdeoing your form - like others have said - would be great so you (and we) can truly see your form.

Also, where is the bar when you lift? Meaning, is it drifting out in front of you? I think I've finally broken it, but I had a habit of letting the bar drift out when I lifted. Basically, the closer it is to you, the less strain you're putting on your back compared to when it drifts out. I've tweaked my back a couple of times deadlifting and both times I knew when I done it what caused it - bar position.

Here is a quick vid I got with Pretty light weight. Didn't hurt too much today, but I still felt a little discomfort

https://youtu.be/PdvUK_NhpTk
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So, here's something I've been doing, because let's face it: deadlift is hard on the CNS. It just is. My lower back always has pain after a heavy deadlift session. But by the time I walk out of the gym, my back feels like a million bucks.

What I've started doing, for the past month or more, is going immediately to front-squats after my deadlift session. The workload of the front squat, the more erect posture, and the training of the core, really help my back out. When I'm done with my front squat session, if feels like I've had a back massage. All the pain from my deadlift session is gone. Maybe it's just me; but this has been working for me for over a month now.

One other thing: make sure you're doing a lot of lateral strength exercises to make your hips strong. I didn't do anything like that my first few years lifting, and it led to a lot of pain and eventually hip bursitis, which put the kibosh on my lifting for over 6 months. You don't want that. Strong hips help in every way. Do lateral exercises, band exercises, side leg lifts, etc. And work your core man (one of those things that front squats are great for). It will all add up over time.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Here is a quick vid I got with Pretty light weight. Didn't hurt too much today, but I still felt a little discomfort

It's not terrible. It would be good to see you at a higher percentage of your max - like 75%+

1. The bar is too far from your shins
    2. Your weight is on your toes
    3. The bar path is not vertical
    4. Too much knee bend

Basically, everything is a result of a poor set up. When standing straight up, the bar should only be 2-4 inches from your shin (directly over your arches).

That's everything I could see from that angle.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    it sucks cause I'm young and have proper form on my deadlift.....yet my back stiff hurts after every time I deadlift. I even do sumo squat as I'm tall and it's more comfortable. No matter how low I sink my hips, how straight my back is, how much I drive with my heels, my back is always in pain after for a long time. And I don't mean discomfort, I mean pain. Is there anyone else like this whose body just simply does not accept deadlifting lol. It sucks, but what are you alternatives or methods you've done to avoid this?

Does it cause pain while you're DL-ing? Or just a muscular ache the next day?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    In.

After several bouts with injury, I decided a few years ago that deadlifts just aren't worth it. I focus more on squats and other exercises to strengthen my posterior chain (KB swings, etc.).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    In addition to Jon's observations...

5. Notice how your hips rise when you initiate the lift. Don't do that - simply pivot around the hip joint.
    6. Put the bar down after each rep and release your grip. Look down to check proper bar distance from shins and do the next rep.
    7. Avoid flat-sided plates, because they won't land right when you do #6.
    8. Don't watch yourself in the mirror. :+1:
  • dwdw2345
    dwdw2345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Are you lifting with a belt? Or at least pushing out hard with the abs and holding your valsalva hard? If the abs and air aren't doing their part, your back is going to have to carry way too much of the load.

This ^. Well the abs part of it anyway. I don't even know what a valsalva is and was a little hesitant to Google it at work I might add.

After several years of reading/research, pain, injuries and on/off deadlifting, for me it was as simple as being sure to flex my abs on the way up AND on the way down.
  • dwdw2345
    dwdw2345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Are you lifting with a belt? Or at least pushing out hard with the abs and holding your valsalva hard? If the abs and air aren't doing their part, your back is going to have to carry way too much of the load.

This ^. Well the abs part of it anyway. I don't even know what a valsalva is and was a little hesitant to Google it at work I might add.

After several years of reading/research, pain, injuries and on/off deadlifting, for me it was as simple as being sure to flex my abs on the way up AND on the way down.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Goodness im wondering who yold you this was correct form?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP, start closer to the bar. I know you're going for that super upright position but it just doesn't work on all body types.

I like this Ed Coan video for sumo deads. Man does he have you starting close to the bar. When I do it my shins are already practically touching the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDt8HwxVST0
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Some good advice in here, I would definitely take a hard look at your setup since it seems you may be sacrificing several important technique factors just to get your torso a little more vertical - which isn't necessarily the smartest thing. You'd have to post a video from the front to analyze the initial setup a little better.

Personally, for someone that's having back pain deadlifting the first thing I'd do is remove the touch-n-go sets. Do full reset for each rep. I bet that one change alone will help.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP, start closer to the bar. I know you're going for that super upright position but it just doesn't work on all body types.

I like this Ed Coan video for sumo deads. Man does he have you starting close to the bar. When I do it my shins are already practically touching the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDt8HwxVST0

Great post-Ed Coan has some great videos on YouTube - I think I've watched all of them LOL!

Anyway nothing really more to add. The further you get away from the barbell the more likely you are to round your back. When you're lifting weight from the floor Barbells like to move in straight lines close to your body.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You need to get closer to the bar. From the break you are on your toes and it looks like the bar is drifting forward.

Also I see you with little to none hip drive. Your hip should be into that bar right after floor break.

Do you do conventionals at all?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

It's not terrible. It would be good to see you at a higher percentage of your max - like 75%+

1. The bar is too far from your shins
    2. Your weight is on your toes
    3. The bar path is not vertical
    4. Too much knee bend

Basically, everything is a result of a poor set up. When standing straight up, the bar should only be 2-4 inches from your shin (directly over your arches).

That's everything I could see from that angle.

Same thoughts...

Also, looks like you're just trying to squat the weight up... there is no forward hip movement.
  • louvig
    louvig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using the Vasalva Maneuver for deadlifts? It's a breathing technique for lifting basically tightening your abs with air and gives more support to the lower back helping it to stay straight. Also, I keep the bar as close to my shins and legs as possible on the way up and down. My back pain was gone when I started using this technique. It requires holding your breath and not everyone can do it because it can raise blood pressure and make you light headed. This page tells you all about it if you are not familiar with it: http://www.kingofthegym.com/valsalva-maneuver/ If you haven't tried it, it may be worth a try.