Steel cut oats recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I keep it simple: oats, raisins, a little brown sugar, and a dash of cinnamon. Gotta respect the classics. B)

You can substitute quick-cooking steel cut oats for rolled oats in baking recipes. Measure out the steel cut oats to the amount called for in the recipe. Add a volume of water equal to half to two-thirds the volume of the oats, stir, and let the water soak in. Then just make the recipe according to the instructions.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I make these and I love them. I warm them slightly before eating. Make for a great breakfast on the go and are quick and simple to make.

1½ cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup raisins/Craig Ins/ or dried blueberries
    1/3 cup In kernel pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup unsalted, roasted sunflower seeds
1/3 cup unsalted, toasted sliced almonds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with aluminum foil, oil or coat with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
    2. Whisk together the oats, whole wheat flour, raisins, sunflower seeds, almonds, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl until well combined.
    3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients, and stir until just moistened.
    4. Working in batches, use a ¼-cup measuring cup to scoop the batter and place on the prepared baking sheets, flattening slightly with the bottom of the measuring cup to create circles, about 3 inches in diameter. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie. If the batter starts to stick to the inside of the measuring cup, spray with cooking spray or simply wipe clean with a paper towel.
    5. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, about 12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom. Cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring the cookies to a wire rack.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Doing my T-Day prep today. I had a little bit of pumpkin pie filling left over; about enough to fill a muffin tin. Didn't throw it out, though. I added it to some half-cooked oats and finished it off in the microwave 30 seconds at a time. Pumpkin-pie filling oatmeal for lunch! B)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like to stir in a couple tablespoons of pumpkin puree & cinnamon a couple minutes before taking off the stove. Sprinkle with brown sugar & serve.

PB2 & sliced bananas are yummy.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    daedae171 wrote: »
    I just keep it simple with doing oats with a serving or a serving and a half of sugar free maple syrup, followed by a serving of peanut butter. Simple, yet delicious.

Peanut butter in the oats, way cool, this I am going to try. I LOVEpeanut butter... Thanks
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hot cocoa oatmeal - one cup oats, 4 cups water, a cup of almond milk, add a little sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Cook in crockpot about 3 hours on low. Portion them out for the week. I microwave them at work and add a little more almond milk.
    Cook oats, top with blueberry compote made by cooking blueberries in a little water with a little sugar and lemon rind.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    48g oats
    50g greek yogurt
    16g natty pb (I use chunky for extra texture)
    15g cinnamon roll whey
    15g vanilla casein
    0.5c unsweetened almond milk
    6g Psyllium husk powder
    2 tbsp Mrs. Buttersworth sugar-free syrup (most SF syrups suck, but this one is fantastic)

Mix it all together, pop it in the fridge overnight, and make sure when you stir it the next morning you use a metal spoon. I broke a plastic one off in it trying.
  • sdflyr
    sdflyr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup steel oats, small dash of ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp raw honey, 8 fresh raw blue berries or similar fruit or 1/4 apple chopped
  • Efrodisi
    Efrodisi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I add them to my breakfast shakes, keeps me fuller for longer and I can add so many different fruits to it. Currently I'm loving papaya, mango and pineapple.