Gluten Free?

2»

Replies

• kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Agreed with most here. Going gluten free won't cause weight loss. Gluten is a protein. The reason why celiacs lose weight when they're first diagnosed and stop eating gluten is due to the inflammation going away.
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    Gluten free is also great if you are trying to lose weight because it is one of the ways a ketogenic diet is followed. My doctor put me on a ketogenic diet to reduce inflammation and lose weight. I love it because I'm not hungry on it. You can look in to "keto paleo" to learn more. I recommended professional help for starting keto.

No. Vital wheat gluten is used in many keto recipes. You do know the gluten is a protein and not a carb, right @kshatriyo?

Oh, I see @amusedmonkey has already mentioned this.

You missed the part where I said "Gluten free is also great if you are trying to lose weight because it is one of the ways a ketogenic diet is followed
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Whether you eat gluten or not is completely irrelevant to weight management.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    It's a fad.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    I'm a celiac and I wouldn't be gluten free if I could choose. The bread is dry and crumbly, the pasts is crumbly. Eating out is almost impossible. I can't have any of my favorite foods. Every gluten free thing is very expensive and not as good. I miss regular bread, pizza crust, fried chicken, mini wheats.....everything! Don't do it if you don't have to! I also gained weight back after being diagnosed bc you can still go over your calories no matter what diet you're on. I know fat vegetarians and vegans. It's not the food, it's the calories and exercise. No way around it.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    edited October 2016
    Watch this...

["Pedestrian Question: What is Gluten?"]https://youtu.be/AdJFE1sp4Fw[/url]
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    It's a fad.

It's not a fad, people really have celiac disease and many people are gluten intolerant.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    It's a fad.

It's not a fad, people really have celiac disease and many people are gluten intolerant.

Thanks for jumping on that one. Spreading this kind of ignorance puts those of us with celiac disease and gluten intolerance at risk since it creates an environment of "what they don't know won't hurt them". Especially since the symptoms often show up long after the gluten is ingested.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Agreed with most here. Going gluten free won't cause weight loss. Gluten is a protein. The reason why celiacs lose weight when they're first diagnosed and stop eating gluten is due to the inflammation going away.
    Gluten free is also great if you are trying to lose weight because it is one of the ways a ketogenic diet is followed. My doctor put me on a ketogenic diet to reduce inflammation and lose weight. I love it because I'm not hungry on it. You can look in to "keto paleo" to learn more. I recommended professional help for starting keto.

No. Vital wheat gluten is used in many keto recipes. You do know the gluten is a protein and not a carb, right @kshatriyo?

Oh, I see @amusedmonkey has already mentioned this.

You missed the part where I said "Gluten free is also great if you are trying to lose weight because it is one of the ways a ketogenic diet is followed
    If you're saying gluten free is good for weight loss, it isnt. What's truly going on, if one does not replace the eliminated food items is weight loss due to a calorie deficit. Since the foods eliminated are basically carbohydrates, the lowering of carbs initially causes glycogen depletion/water weight reduction with a little fat reduction. Fat loss will only occur if there is a calorie deficit.

It is a fad as the OP asked about gluten free for weight loss. It's not a fad for celiac and those with diagnosed gluten sensitivity.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    It's a fad.

Thanks for jumping on that one. Spreading this kind of ignorance puts those of us with celiac disease and gluten intolerance at risk since it creates an environment of "what they don't know won't hurt them". Especially since the symptoms often show up long after the gluten is ingested.
    As a fellow Celiac, thank you! What some call a "fad" is life saving for us.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    jonny2704 wrote: »
    Any pros and cons of gluten free food? Trying to lose weight and maintain lean muscle?

Eating gluten free has nothing to do with weight loss. There is no reason to eat gluten free unless your GI specifically tells you to due to a medical issue, such a celiac disease and/or digestive issues.

If you want to lose weight and maintain as much muscle mass as possible, make your deficit small so you lose weight slowly and eat enough protein.
  • SLLRunner
    I honestly don't understand those who go gluten free without any medical need to do so. Gluten is in flipping everything, it's a total nightmare to avoid and as above, using GF products is hideously expensive. If you're not intolerant there's really no need to do it.

A friend of mine is on an elimination diet for IBS, and has to restrict gluten because of it. She says the same thing..she would never choose that lifestyle on purpose and doesn't understand people who do. She hates it.
    Same here, except I love it because I feel about 100% better.
  • SLLRunner
    It's a fad.

Sweeping generalizations don't help. It's only a fad if you are eating gluten free for no reason, such as celiac disease or you have been prescribed to eat this way by your GI.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It's a fad.

Sweeping generalizations don't help. It's only a fad if you are eating gluten free for no reason, such as celiac disease or you have been prescribed to eat this way by your GI.

The OP specially said for weight loss...in that regard it's a fad that many gravitate to...tons of people doing gluten free for absolutely no reason.