375 calorie meal needed

Options
:# Ok! so according to this forum. I need to eat 375 at every meal except at snack. But I'm how I will do it. Any food ideas?l7c8ocj9tmvu.jpg

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...well, I don't eat like that because I enjoy a larger dinner portion. I'm at a 1200-1300 calorie per day plan and I like my dinners to be in the 400 calorie range. It doesn't really matter if your meals are perfectly even so you should work on finding the meal that you *need* to be larger for whatever reason and shave your other meals down. It is sort of difficult to have smaller dinner portions. Basically it's about 5 ounces of meat/protein and some veggie sides.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Where did this forum say that? You can split your calories however you like. I tend to eat very light breakfast, light lunch, big dinner and some snacks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You can divide your calories however you choose, some people like one meal larger and others lighter. Some people choose to eat several small meals/day, and some people so Intermittent Fasting in order to eat all their calories within a certain time window.

What are your stats? How much weight are you trying to lose? What rate of loss did you select? Do you exercise? Are you eating back some of the calories burned during weight loss so that you are Netting the calorie goal MFP provided you?
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Where did this forum say that? You can split your calories however you like. I tend to eat very light breakfast, light lunch, big dinner and some snacks.

Me to a T! I tried doing the calorie limits on meals thing but couldn't make it work, I snack too much. Having an overall calorie goal is so much more attainable.

But ultimately its up to OP what they choose to do
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "rule" that says that meals should be 375 each. As long as your daily total is what is should be you can divide your calories as you wish. I try to keep breakfast around 300-350 calories but sometimes I'm under 300. I tend to keep more calories for my evening meals as my husband cooks and I have no idea what he will fix, he is not the best in planning healthy meals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OP, BS.

But in the spirit of it, my lunch yesterday was 424 calories. 9 were from 46 grams of asparagus, 210 were from a 106 gram slice of pork, and 205 were from 151 grams of my mashed potatoes seasoned with butter, milk, salt, and pepper. To have gotten my meal down to 375 with similar protein, you keep the meat and reduce the weight of the potatoes. Do the math. It isn't hard.
  • jennice23
    jennice23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 40 pounds

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ?

Split up your calories however you please. Just stay in a deficit.

My dinners usually ave about 350-400 calories. Shirataki mac n cheese with chicken sausage and laughing cow cheese sauce is my go to.
  • jennice23
    Options
    I don't eat cheese
    arditarose wrote: »
    ?

My dinners usually ave about 350-400 calories. Shirataki mac n cheese with chicken sausage and laughing cow cheese sauce is my go to.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    jennice23 wrote: »
    I don't eat cheese
    arditarose wrote: »
    ?

You asked for food ideas and this poster shared a meal suggestion that she enjoys. If you need specific suggestions perhaps you should be more specific with your likes/dislikes.

I think what people are focusing on more is why you believe every meal needs to be 375 calories. If you have 40 lbs to lose, you should set your rate of loss goal to 1 lb/week. MFP will provide you a calorie goal with no exercise built into it. If you do exercise, you should be eating back some of those calories (50-75% is a good start since many feel MFP overestimates calorie burns). You can eat any foods you like, and still achieve your goals within that deficit. The important things are to log accurately, and find a balance of foods that fill you up, provide you a variety of macro and micronutrients, and satisfy you.

There is a recipe section with a number of ideas, many of which include calorie counts. I also find sites like cookinglight.com, Pinterest, and Skinnytaste to have a wealth of suggestions.

• jennice23
    Options
    My fitness pal suggested I eat 375 calories at my meals times based on my 1250 calories intake per day. I asked if anyone new of any meals that was with in 375 calories. This is an open conversation. I simply said I don't eat cheese. I did not need anyone to tell me to pay them because they did not like my response to their food ideas. I was simply saying I don't eat cheese! Any more ideas? :/
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    My fitness pal suggested I eat 375 calories at my meals times based on my 1250 calories intake per day. I asked if anyone new of any meals that was with in 375 calories. This is an open conversation. I simply said I don't eat cheese. I did not need anyone to tell me to pay them because they did not like my response to their food ideas. I was simply saying I don't eat cheese! Any more ideas? :/

Is this a premium feature that is telling you 375 cals/meal? I'm not a premium user, so I am not familiar with this per meal calorie suggestion. My calorie split tends to be:
    Breakfast: 250-350 cals
    Lunch: 400-600 cals
    Afternoon Snack: 200 cals
    Dinner: 600-800 cals
    After Dinner: 100-300 cals

I'm in maintenance but the ratios were the same when I was in a deficit. I lost the weight I set out to lose and am currently maintaining the loss - the point being that you don't have to adhere to a set 375 cals/meal guideline.

My suggestions were provided above - look at the recipe section, Pinterest, or other websites for ideas. When people offer you a suggestion, even if it isn't for something you enjoy, maybe try, "Oh gosh, thanks for the idea, but I don't eat cheese. Do you have any other ideas for me?".

• jennice23
    Options
    Yeah that's the prem package
  • jennice23
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry but if u don't have anything nice or positive to say, PLEASE don't respond on my post. Thanks you. And I will do the same
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I'm sorry but if u don't have anything nice or positive to say, PLEASE don't respond on my post. Thanks you. And I will do the same

Unfortunately you don't get to control who posts and what they post on a public forum. The advice you are getting is largely helpful - you may not care for the tone but people didn't care for yours either.

If you want more suggestions about meal ideas - try giving people some ideas of basic parameters, as @amyrebeccah suggested. Are you vegan? Are you lactose intolerant? Do you just not care for cheese? All cheese, or just certain kinds? Do you love certain foods and are looking for ways to modify those recipes in order to fit them into a calorie alotment (whether 375 or something else).

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    How much do you currently weigh? 1,250 calories seems awfully low.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal suggested I eat 375 calories at my meals times based on my 1250 calories intake per day.

Did you ask it to do that? What information did you put in? It makes no difference at all how many meals you have or how many calories you eat per meal. I don't do premium, but when I did for a while I don't recall it saying that it mattered how many calories I ate for a meal (and if it does, it's wrong).

That said, 375 calories is an easy number to hit. For example, for dinner, choose a protein source you like (I like fish, chicken, lamb, beef, legumes, pork, and many many others), add in a good number of vegetables (I think this is a good way to construct a healthy meal, anyway), and then whatever else makes it feel like a meal or satiating to you. Some potato or sweet potato is something I enjoy, or I make the meat and veg into a pasta sauce and have it with pasta. You will count and log the oils used with cooking, of course (I usually use a little olive oil). The more calories, the more you can add.
  • jennice23
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, if you look more carefully, YOU are telling it what you want there (the percentages), and it's just doing the math for you. It's not saying there's anything special about the defaults or that all meals must be the same or that you need to have 3 and a snack.

I think it makes things more complicated, but if you prefer being given a calorie goal for meals, go for it. Just don't think you have to hit the numbers -- if you eat more at one meal you'd just eat less at another.