I know I need to but ....

Options
I need to workout this morning. I binged last night :( I'm soooo tired though, I don't feel like doing anything lol. I weighed 230 at the beginning of this year and didn't start logging till my weight was 206. I went all the way down to 195 but then gained all the way back up to 210, lost five lbs, now I'm 204.8 lol so the mfp log says I have only lost 1 pound, so it makes me feel less motivated. I know ive lost close to 30 lbs, but no one at work has noticed how much I've lost , and I'm still over 200 lbs :/ uggh .

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can change your starting weight to the higher weight, which will then show your true loss.

Don't give up. You can do it, I believe in you and so do many others in this community. But only one person needs to believe you can do this, and that's you. Today is a new day, try logging EVERYTHING as accurately as possible today, exercise, and then do it all again tomorrow so you can keep losing like you have been.

You've got this.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You lost most of the weight not logging... just doing what you knew was right. Continue that. You're letting the scale and number counting get into your head, drag you down, and you are sabotaging yourself. When you binge or eat off plan.. you just have to jump right back on.. end of story.
    I had some carrot cake Friday night.. what I did was exercise five minutes extra yesterday and ate lighter for lunch and breakfast. I'll most likely exercise extra when I feel like it this week and not sweat it. In the end I'll end up burning more calories than i ate most likely. But i'm not living my life not having a some cake once in a while.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Honestly, that feeling that you NEED to work off calories when you binge is a crappy feeling and probably not the best mindset to have on this "journey" (sorry, hate that word, so corny). It becomes a cycle...eat over your calories, feel guilty, try to work it all off. If going to the gym to get your heart pumping will make you feel better, by all means, do it. But don't guilt yourself into it. Today is a new day.

By the way, I ate probably around 4000 calories yesterday. I ate so many carbs my body literally aches. I'm not doing any extra cardio today :)

I "liked" because of the bolded.
  • pinkste78
    pinkste78 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    thanks guys ..... I'm going to try and log Everything I eat. It was just embarrassing the amount of food I had last night, that's why I didn't log it XD my logs are automatically posted on facebook. I'm just hoping I don't get into a binge/exercise cycle ,and then give up again. Going to workout for 45 mins on the elliptical today. Thanks again, just needed a little motivation is all.
  • pinkste78
    pinkste78 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean, most of the time I'm eager to workout. There are some days where I don't feel like it. I know I have to though because if I don't I will get off track and start giving up again.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If people notice your weight loss, they'll talk about it. If people talk about your weight loss, you'll complain. It's supposed to be very proper to say nothing about the body appearance of co-workers. Maybe you have very proper co-workers.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    There is a way to go back and change your starting weight. Review your weigh in history - edit the first one to your true starting weight. That will fix your 'weight lost' #.

As for comments - if these are people you see every day then that may be part of the 'issue'. They have been part of the process. You don't look different from one day to the next. It tends to be people you have not seen in a while (in my experience) that comment.

One last thought - how is your posture? Mine was horrible. At one point in my weight loss journey I made it a focus to work on it. THEN I started getting comments and could see more of a change in myself. Not sure if better posture made me look more confident, or what...
    pinkste78 wrote: »
    I need to workout this morning. I binged last night :( I'm soooo tired though, I don't feel like doing anything lol. I weighed 230 at the beginning of this year and didn't start logging till my weight was 206. I went all the way down to 195 but then gained all the way back up to 210, lost five lbs, now I'm 204.8 lol so the mfp log says I have only lost 1 pound, so it makes me feel less motivated. I know ive lost close to 30 lbs, but no one at work has noticed how much I've lost , and I'm still over 200 lbs :/ uggh .

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean, most of the time I'm eager to workout. There are some days where I don't feel like it. I know I have to though because if I don't I will get off track and start giving up again.

Yep and there's something to be said for just pushing yourself. I'm in the boat this week where I'm traveling and I'm paying for daily gym passes because I don't want to get off track. No excuses! Just don't beat yourself up :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    thanks guys ..... I'm going to try and log Everything I eat. It was just embarrassing the amount of food I had last night, that's why I didn't log it XD my logs are automatically posted on facebook. I'm just hoping I don't get into a binge/exercise cycle ,and then give up again. Going to workout for 45 mins on the elliptical today. Thanks again, just needed a little motivation is all.

Honesty with yourself is way more important than telling your friends what you ate. If you need to make your diary private so you can be honest with yourself and not face external judgment, do so! Stop sharing that information with others...it's a tool for you, not fit anyone else's benefit!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Arapacana1 wrote: »
    A 30 pound weight loss is awesome! People may have noticed at work, but they may not say it directly to you. The secretary at my work reports to me that people have been talking about my weight loss even if they haven't said anything to me. A lot of people are just used to not commenting on others' weight in front if them, even positively.

I worry about complimenting weight loss because some people don't like it commented on. But if someone brings up the subject and says, "I lost 30 pounds", then I will admit I noticed but was trying to be pc. I think occasionally people think if you say they look good after losing weight that means that they didn't before. But I never mean that nor is it implied.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lot of people hit it on the head, with how sensitive this world has become, the risk are just too high to compliment people on their weight loss. You'll inevitably run into that one person who gets offended and says something along the lines of "What, are you saying I was fat?" and complains to HR, or "SoandSo just made an unwanted advance towards me"
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Honestly, that feeling that you NEED to work off calories when you binge is a crappy feeling and probably not the best mindset to have on this "journey" (sorry, hate that word, so corny). It becomes a cycle...eat over your calories, feel guilty, try to work it all off. If going to the gym to get your heart pumping will make you feel better, by all means, do it. But don't guilt yourself into it. Today is a new day.

By the way, I ate probably around 4000 calories yesterday. I ate so many carbs my body literally aches. I'm not doing any extra cardio today :)

This. Binging is hard enough to deal with. Don't punish yourself with exercise.

When I was stuck in binge/restrict cycling, I started out trying to do the exercise punishment thing, and my body just noped out of it because I still felt sick the next morning.

Be gentle with yourself.

Do yourself a favor. Make your diary private and start recording everything. My past with binging is why I keep my diary private. And I don't have BED, but it's my trick for keeping honest with myself.

No one will hold it against you. Your diary is your tool to use while you're doing this for yourself. You don't owe it to anyone.

Is this binging a chronic issue for you? If you need a little help, but don't feel the need for therapy, there are self-help books out there you might benefit from.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    oldsoul918 wrote: »
    One of my favorite thoughts...
    bp3hdfa5jona.png

This.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Honesty with yourself is way more important than telling your friends what you ate. If you need to make your diary private so you can be honest with yourself and not face external judgment, do so! Stop sharing that information with others...it's a tool for you, not fit anyone else's benefit!

This is what I was thinking.

OP, close your diary to everyone, for now. Being honest with what you are eating is way more important. You will be better able to watch for trends, such as when you eat too little, you go over the next day. I was surprised by how easily that happens. You will also be able to watch for other trends, such as overeating when you are upset, or the week before or during TOM.

Another way that it helps to have everything logged is that it helps you realize a couple things: 1) what your actual maintenance calories will be when you get there (by having an accurate log, and using 3500 cal/lb lost, you can get a pretty good estimate of your actual daily calorie need, which will be so much more accurate than any online calculator), 2) if your results are not what you expected you can be certain of how much you are eating and therefor adjust appropriately, and 3) you may be surprised how little a single day over will influence your overall results (assuming it happens occasionally versus all the time).

I'm also concerned, as mentioned by someone else, that you are using exercise to punish yourself, and have apparently some very low calorie days (I didn't actually look at your diary). Add in that you said you are worried about getting into a binge/exercise cycle again. It's all telling that you are heading back in that direction. Take a step back for a few minutes, and think about what you are doing. If you are having some days where you are eating very low calorie, you are setting yourself for the binges, which you then feel compelled to exercise off. Do you have a medical team that you've worked with in the past, to help you set realistic goals and develop an appropriate plan for you?
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hello,

very interesting thread as I find I also need encouragement facing similar challenges.

I share the thoughts above as I find that being private allows me to be completely honest with myself, even if or rather When I do go on a binge, I find it much easier to be honest to log how much chocolate or cheese and extra I had. I'm still very much a beginner on a healthy weight loss path and feel encouraged to hear the voices of veterans.

fyi: i joined mfp several years ago but these past few weeks are the first time i've been really serious and committed (i have a 56 day streak!!) i've tried before but fell off the wagon too soon (few days)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    OP, you are only 5 pounds away from Onederland! It is great you lost 30 pounds. If you've been wearing the same clothes people might not notice. Buy yourself a new outfit in a smaller size and friends and family will likely notice all of your hard work.
    :)