Frame size and weight

Options
So I'm a 20 year old, and ever since I've entered college I've been unable to get below 165 unless I'm really sick. No one ever believes me when I tell them I weigh 170. They always say "you don't look like it at all" and it's because my frame is bigger than most women's. I was just wondering if someone could help me figure out an attainable goal weight. Right now I'm shooting for 150, which I feel like may be out of my reach. I'm 5'6 and definitely not slim, but I honestly don't know where 20 pounds would come from. Any advice?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and have been 170-180lbs. I believe I held my weight well, or whatever that means. 150 is definitely fine for your height. If you want to lose weight, just start with mini goals. Shoot for your first 10 lbs and see how you feel.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My advice is to aim for 154, which would put you at the top of the healthy zine for your height. After that, forget the weight goal and go more by what you like in the mirror and what is sustainable.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Forget about weight. Get a set of calipers and decide what you want your bodyfat% to be.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Why not get a body-fat measurement and go from there? It's more objective than weight. Maybe you are at your optimal body composition.

The most accurate way to measure body fat is to dunk you in a big tank of water and measure the amount of water displaced, but you can get fairly accurate estimates by measuring the thickness of fat at various locations on your body with calipers. Here is a link with instructions.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and 160. Goal weight is maybe 150. Still have lots of pinchable fat around tummy.

I was 122 pre-kids. 125 to get pregnant. 144 when very fit-running, biking and playing soccer.

Large shoulders and large hips. I will get to a size 10 but that's about it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Forget about weight. Get a set of calipers and decide what you want your bodyfat% to be.

This^

A good percentage of lean muscle mass to fat ......you'll weigh more & still look good.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Go by the mirror. I'm 136 and all the fat I have left is my belly. I'm happy with absolutely everywhere else, apart from some loose skin, but not too bad. I know now that what I used to think was loose skin, was actually still loads of fat. My belly is my biggest bugbear.

I've stopped really going by the scales. Last time I was this weight, I had slim midriff and bigger thighs and booty. With running, thighs and booty are nearly gone, yet belly is still gonna get me!
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Try calculator.net
    For my ht 5'6", i should weigh about 135-150.

Or
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com
    They have a chart.

I heard this a couple of years ago, for women...
    Say 100 lbs at 5 feet even. Add 5 lbs for every inch after that. For me it would be 130 lbs. I just don't want to look emaciated or sick. I started at 223lbs. Now I'm at 185. 150 should be good enough.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Try calculator.net
    For my ht 5'6", i should weigh about 135-150.

Or
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com
    They have a chart.

I heard this a couple of years ago, for women...
    Say 100 lbs at 5 feet even. Add 5 lbs for every inch after that. For me it would be 130 lbs. I just don't want to look emaciated or sick. I started at 223lbs. Now I'm at 185. 150 should be good enough.

150 is a good goal. Get there and then decide what you want to do. You may want to lose more or maintain. I am the same height and hover around 148-150. I love my body shape except for my stomach (still fatty w/stretched skin.) But if not for that, I'd be fine at this weight.