Stomach pain and lettuce

2»

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    ntbck8 wrote: »
    Throughout my adult life I've always been a very routine eater not changing it much. I've been doing Atkins since in my teens if that gives you an idea on what I've regularly eaten throughout my life. This is the first time I do low carb low calorie and I'm actually enjoying it until now.my major snackers are cucumbers and green beans. I recently found that I'm enjoying red bell peppers. Sometimes I'll do cantelope or maybe boiled eggs. I know my diet is generally bland but ive gotten used to it over the years and like it. I've never been a big meat person so the fat via meat was a no brainer for me.

Seems to me like you're describing a low-fat, low-carb diet, not an Atkins diet, unless I'm missing something. You mention boiled chicken, so presumably skinless, and low-fat unless you choose dark meat. Tuna (I'm assuming canned) is low-fat unless it's packed in oil, and even then it doesn't have that much fat. You apparently aren't eating meat or dairy. Low-calorie dressing is usually low-fat, and you only eat dressing on your lettuce sometimes. Your veggies are all steamed, canned, or raw. Do you use olive oil? Butter or ghee? Coconut oil? Eat avocados?

What made you decide to go low-carb AND low-calorie? Most low-carbers (myself included) find little need to deliberately restrict calories, as the appetite seems to regulate itself pretty well.

Iceberg lettuce is pretty close to being nutritionless (not to mention tasteless). Have you considered trying the darker leafy greens, if your IBS will allow it?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    What kind of lettuce are you eating? Bagged lettuce is often gassed (you can smell the chemicals when you open it) and I have terrible stomach pains after eating it. If you aren't eating self washed fresh lettuce, you might give that a try.
  • ntbck8
    ntbck8 Posts: 29 Member
    ntbck8 wrote: »
    Throughout my adult life I've always been a very routine eater not changing it much. I've been doing Atkins since in my teens if that gives you an idea on what I've regularly eaten throughout my life. This is the first time I do low carb low calorie and I'm actually enjoying it until now.my major snackers are cucumbers and green beans. I recently found that I'm enjoying red bell peppers. Sometimes I'll do cantelope or maybe boiled eggs. I know my diet is generally bland but ive gotten used to it over the years and like it. I've never been a big meat person so the fat via meat was a no brainer for me.

Seems to me like you're describing a low-fat, low-carb diet, not an Atkins diet, unless I'm missing something. You mention boiled chicken, so presumably skinless, and low-fat unless you choose dark meat. Tuna (I'm assuming canned) is low-fat unless it's packed in oil, and even then it doesn't have that much fat. You apparently aren't eating meat or dairy. Low-calorie dressing is usually low-fat, and you only eat dressing on your lettuce sometimes. Your veggies are all steamed, canned, or raw. Do you use olive oil? Butter or ghee? Coconut oil? Eat avocados?

What made you decide to go low-carb AND low-calorie? Most low-carbers (myself included) find little need to deliberately restrict calories, as the appetite seems to regulate itself pretty well.

Iceberg lettuce is pretty close to being nutritionless (not to mention tasteless). Have you considered trying the darker leafy greens, if your IBS will allow it?

I don't drink milk except for a little but in my coffee. I love cheese and most dairies but I have to stay away. They just don't agree with me. I use olive oil to cook of I'm in the mood for an omelet or want my veggies grilled. Decided to go low carb and low calorie as opposed to just Atkins because I was having problems with my blood pressure, was deemed obese and doctor supported this as a good decision when taking into account the health issues I was experiencing. I do eat avocados but not frequently and do add darker greens like spinach but on a limited basis because of discomfort. Oh and I really don't care for meat but every once in a great while may have a craving for it so then I'll eat a serving. Usually by the end of the serving I'm asking myself why did i even want it. Lol
  • ntbck8
    ntbck8 Posts: 29 Member
    What kind of lettuce are you eating? Bagged lettuce is often gassed (you can smell the chemicals when you open it) and I have terrible stomach pains after eating it. If you aren't eating self washed fresh lettuce, you might give that a try.

Just fresh iceberg wash thoroughly at home