Never losing

Options
2»

Replies

• mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 twice a week. I log everything! I bike more than 6 miles twice a week. I snowboard in the winter every weekend. I surf and go to the beach every weekend in the summer. I teach little kids and jump and dance all day long. If the fit bit says I burn 3000 cal a day. I could eat just about anything and lose weight couldn`t I?

If your Fitbit says you burn 3000 cals a day and you only have 20lbs to lose I would suggest your deficit is too great.
    You're very active and Fitbit probably doesn't account for all the varied activities you do so you'd be better off with a much less aggressive cut of not more than 500 cals a day max.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    My advice, since you can not see a doctor is this.
    Eat 1500 calories, and do Insanity, instead of JM.
    Start to run and not bike.
    Try to figure out how to burn 1000 calories though the entire day. (morning, afternoon, night)
    See if that helps... It wont help over night, but after a week or two

I burn 1000-1200 a day every day according to fit bit. I`ve been eating around 1500 for 3 years and lost nothing. I don`t think it makes a difference which exercise I do as long as I do it. I ran couch to 10k training during the winter. I am dedicated! I actually like exercise. It`s 105 here now. I won`t be running. I think it is heroic that I continue to bike outside.
  • mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    Options
    I stopped listening to what the devices say I was losing and trying to calculate my calories from that. The devices were not calculating it correctly. It took me a bit to play around with it and weighing myself everyday to see what was actually working. I have also been hooked up to a machine to calculate my RMR accurately (using calculators on websites always say I am burning more than what I really am), I eat just under that number to get my weight to come down. I lost 5lbs in 10 days doing it that way other wise I don't lose. Medications can also be a problem like birth control tends to cause a girl to gain weight. I would have the doctor run blood test to see if your thyroid is acting wrong, if you are B12 or Vitamin deficit as well as that has been known to cause weight issues too.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    Are you sure you are moderatly active?

I know sounds like a stupid question right? well I thought i was moderatly active until yesterday. I just got a body media fit and actually learned that I am quite sedentary. And by quite sedentary I mean.... VERY.

Granted yesterday was not an exercise day (well it was supposed to be the police wouldn't let me into the park I use for my work outs for some reason) but I work in a metal shop and figured I was fairly active in my job. Yesterday was a busier day for me and I was still well below the activity level I thought was normal for the day.

I have a fit bit. I exercise with purpose 4 days a week. This means 30 or 40 min of dedicated something. Aerobics video or bicycling using gps app. so i know how far I`ve gone, or jogging and walking. I also do body weight exercise like planks, push ups and squats 5 days a week. The aerobics videos I like to do are circut training type videos. These too have weight bearing exercises. Hike, surf or snowboard on the weekends with family. Fit bit claims I exercise 1000 cal per day with all my activity. What gives huh?
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    You didn't mention whether or not you are lifting weights. Weight-lifting heavy weights does an incredible amount of calorie burning. (It isn't so much the lifting itself as the calorie used in repairing and strengthening your muscles). I don't lift heavy yet (I have arthritis and I am being very cautious). But even the body weight workouts (which are pretty safe) I do and my lifting of 7 pound dumbbells has done a LOT to help correct some of the flab and to burn more calories. Have been on this routine for about four months now, and even though I've only lost 8 pounds during that time, my body fat has continued to drop--my tummy bulge continues to shrink. It has obviously boosted my metabolism. I actually get hungry now--on more calories than I was eating when I was just maintaining before. Oh--and I am hypothyroid, but that has been improving since I started lifting weights. I have had a reduction in my thyroid medication and I may be able to eliminate it entirely one day.

Another thing you might want to look at is the amount of carbohydrates you are eating. As you get older, your body becomes less efficient at burning carbohydrates for energy and more efficient at storing them as fat. :frown: Carbohydrates that are high on the glycemic index (like white flour, sugar and white rice) boost blood sugar higher and faster than other carbohydrates (like vegetables and fruits). High blood sugar promotes fat gain (among other undesirable effects). I don't eat very low carb but I do eat lower carb. Most days, I eat around 100 grams of carb--sometimes less, sometimes a bit more (on my cardio days). I never eat more than 120 grams of carb in a day. I find that if I eat 150 grams or more, I will gain body fat, no matter how few calories I eat (it makes some sense bio-chemically but too long to go into here).

I only do two days of cardio a week. It can be self-defeating to do too much cardio (again, too long to go into here but you can look up "body composition" and it will give you some answers). I hope I will eventually lift three days a week with 25-pound dumbbells, but since I am 65 (and arthritic), I have to be careful about pushing the weight-lifting too fast. The older you are, the more recovery time you need. Some experts say that no one should lift more than three days a week and that if you are older, you may not even be able to get to lifting three times a week (many older people need more than 48 hours of recovery time.) Hope this has been helpful. Good luck.

Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 is a strength training circut using weights. I did go the bodybuilding route last year. No loss with low cardio high lifting either. Upped my protein and gained some weight. When I went back to what I like , a more normal diet and more cardio .a few months later the lbs came off and I was right back at a big fat 0 lbs lost. I`m beginning to think I should be very pleased just that I haven`t gained weight in the 3 years.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention whether or not you are lifting weights. Weight-lifting heavy weights does an incredible amount of calorie burning. (It isn't so much the lifting itself as the calorie used in repairing and strengthening your muscles). I don't lift heavy yet (I have arthritis and I am being very cautious). But even the body weight workouts (which are pretty safe) I do and my lifting of 7 pound dumbbells has done a LOT to help correct some of the flab and to burn more calories. Have been on this routine for about four months now, and even though I've only lost 8 pounds during that time, my body fat has continued to drop--my tummy bulge continues to shrink. It has obviously boosted my metabolism. I actually get hungry now--on more calories than I was eating when I was just maintaining before. Oh--and I am hypothyroid, but that has been improving since I started lifting weights. I have had a reduction in my thyroid medication and I may be able to eliminate it entirely one day.

Another thing you might want to look at is the amount of carbohydrates you are eating. As you get older, your body becomes less efficient at burning carbohydrates for energy and more efficient at storing them as fat. :frown: Carbohydrates that are high on the glycemic index (like white flour, sugar and white rice) boost blood sugar higher and faster than other carbohydrates (like vegetables and fruits). High blood sugar promotes fat gain (among other undesirable effects). I don't eat very low carb but I do eat lower carb. Most days, I eat around 100 grams of carb--sometimes less, sometimes a bit more (on my cardio days). I never eat more than 120 grams of carb in a day. I find that if I eat 150 grams or more, I will gain body fat, no matter how few calories I eat (it makes some sense bio-chemically but too long to go into here).

I only do two days of cardio a week. It can be self-defeating to do too much cardio (again, too long to go into here but you can look up "body composition" and it will give you some answers). I hope I will eventually lift three days a week with 25-pound dumbbells, but since I am 65 (and arthritic), I have to be careful about pushing the weight-lifting too fast. The older you are, the more recovery time you need. Some experts say that no one should lift more than three days a week and that if you are older, you may not even be able to get to lifting three times a week (many older people need more than 48 hours of recovery time.) Hope this has been helpful. Good luck.

Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 is a strength training circut using weights. I did go the bodybuilding route last year. No loss with low cardio high lifting either. Upped my protein and gained some weight. When I went back to what I like , a more normal diet and more cardio .a few months later the lbs came off and I was right back at a big fat 0 lbs lost. I`m beginning to think I should be very pleased just that I haven`t gained weight in the 3 years.

If you've done all that, it sounds like a metabolism problem. A lot of people here pay for a "resting metabolic rate" to be done (usually $70 to $100, I'm told). Did you say that you've had your mineral levels checked? A magnesium deficiency can stop fat burning. A sufficient quantity of magnesium ions in the blood are essential to the conversion of T-4 to T-3 (thyroxine to the more active form of the hormone). It is also essential for the transport of ATP to the muscles. Good luck.