Metabolism

Options
Aaron_K123
Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Got a chuckle out of this one, thought I'd share.

http://xkcd.com/1744/

I will have to remember this one for next time someone says "you must have a fast metabolism".

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    That's me in a nutshell! :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Just saw that and was going to post it, but you beat me to the punch!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My mom told me Saturday she was blessed with a fast metabolism. I told her that no, she is extremely active. Normally women in their late 70s do not paint their houses. GET OFF OF THE LADDER, MOM!

This is SO MUCH my mom, too. She's over 70, she works at Home Depot in flooring lifting boxes of tile all day so she doesn't get bored.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    It made me so happy to see this was a post I'd seen on my favorite "tough love" sub earlier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    vassar15 wrote: »
    Your metabolism generally slows as you get older. Some slow quicker than others, and others don't slow down at all (I doubt any speed up).

...due to decreased muscle mass and less activity.

Yup, I wish I had the muscle mass and activity level I had in my 20s.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:

Why can one person eat like a growing teenager and not gain a pound, while another person's every indulgence shows up on the scale? Chalk it up to individual differences in metabolism, muscle mass and physical activity. Metabolism is the process by which our bodies convert what we eat into the energy we need to survive and function. Tweet this It powers everything from breathing to blinking. A fast metabolism is like a hot furnace that burns through fuel (calories) quickly. A slow metabolism needs less fuel to keep a body running.

Are you denying that there is such a thing as a fast metabolism and a slow metabolism?

There's one difference between your body and a furnace.
    A furnace can just put off a lot of heat (energy) and let it out into the atmosphere. You can't. Every calorie you burn is metabolized into energy as that energy is utilized. Your body doesn't just burn up a bunch of calories "cuz fast metabolism" and release it through flatulence.
    Calories are burned to fuel activity (both internal and external). Maintenance of muscle mass uses some energy so more muscle means a higher metabolism. Moving uses energy so being twitchy, nervous and fidgety means a higher metabolism.
    Other than factors like that, there is no such thing as some people just having a higher base setting.
    Yes, some people burn more calories than others (have a higher metabolism) but it's because they have more muscle and/or they move more.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Why can one person eat like a growing teenager and not gain a pound, while another person's every indulgence shows up on the scale? Chalk it up to individual differences in metabolism, muscle mass and physical activity. Metabolism is the process by which our bodies convert what we eat into the energy we need to survive and function. Tweet this It powers everything from breathing to blinking. A fast metabolism is like a hot furnace that burns through fuel (calories) quickly. A slow metabolism needs less fuel to keep a body running.

Are you denying that there is such a thing as a fast metabolism and a slow metabolism?

A furnace can just put off a lot of heat (energy) and let it out into the atmosphere. You can't. Every calorie you burn is metabolized into energy as that energy is utilized. Your body doesn't just burn up a bunch of calories "cuz fast metabolism" and release it through flatulence.
    Calories are burned to fuel activity (both internal and external). Maintenance of muscle mass uses some energy so more muscle means a higher metabolism. Moving uses energy so being twitchy, nervous and fidgety means a higher metabolism.
    Other than factors like that, there is no such thing as some people just having a higher base setting.
    Yes, some people burn more calories than others (have a higher metabolism) but it's because they have more muscle and/or they move more.

Well, no, not quite.

There is, indeed, going to be a range of BMR/RMR values for different individuals with the same relevant statistics. If you put me next to another woman born on the same exact day, with the same height, same weight, and same lean/fat mass, it would not be a guarantee that our BMR/RMR would be exactly the same. The range is going to be a bell curve, of course - the vast majority of individuals are going to be within a relatively small margin of a couple hundred calories - but it's technically possible for people to have a BMR/RMR that is several hundred calories above or below that mean.

That said, the people who have noticeably higher or lower BMR/RMRs are absolutely the exception rather than the rule. Most of the time people who are anecdotally considered to have "fast" metabolisms do just move a lot more (and possibly eat less), even if they and/or the people around them don't really realize it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options

I don't get it. It's the string beans that have the higher metabolism, that's why they tend to be string beans. Of course I am not saying that all string beans have fast metabolisms.

Nope. I was obese for decades, and it turns out that my NEAT is higher than the calculators predict for my daily activity level/size/age/etc. You can out-eat a so-called "fast metabolism" just like you can out-eat most rational levels of exercise. We're only talking a few hundred calories here, tops.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Your metabolism generally slows as you get older. Some slow quicker than others, and others don't slow down at all (I doubt any speed up).

I started weight lifting at 47
    I also became far more active generally
    And worked out 3 times a week minimum
    Before I was a couch potato

I used to gain on 2000 calls, now I lose at less than 2400

Did my BMR rise or drop? My TDEE rose significantly, I'm pretty sure my BMR did marginally

I have greater muscle mass and am more active at 49 than 25
    I have to eat more than my Fitbit step counting and exercise logging would suggest (unless I set my Fitbit to 30 years younger and 2" taller)
  • Carlos_421
    Options

I don't get it. It's the string beans that have the higher metabolism, that's why they tend to be string beans. Of course I am not saying that all string beans have fast metabolisms.
    They are string beans because they eat less and/or are more active. Ever notice that most of those string beans tend to be very energetic, high strung people?
    BarbieAS wrote: »

Well, no, not quite.

There is, indeed, going to be a range of BMR/RMR values for different individuals with the same relevant statistics. If you put me next to another woman born on the same exact day, with the same height, same weight, and same lean/fat mass, it would not be a guarantee that our BMR/RMR would be exactly the same. The range is going to be a bell curve, of course - the vast majority of individuals are going to be within a relatively small margin of a couple hundred calories - but it's technically possible for people to have a BMR/RMR that is several hundred calories above or below that mean.

That said, the people who have noticeably higher or lower BMR/RMRs are absolutely the exception rather than the rule. Most of the time people who are anecdotally considered to have "fast" metabolisms do just move a lot more (and possibly eat less), even if they and/or the people around them don't really realize it.

Right, I don't contest that. But the differences in BMR in this example would be due to differences in bodily function (faster heartbeat, etc.) and not just some arbitrary metabolic rate dictated by genetics.

And of course, there is the absorption issue tomteboda mentioned above.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

They are string beans because they eat less and/or are more active. Ever notice that most of those string beans tend to be very energetic, high strung people?

Well, no, not quite.

Right, I don't contest that. But the differences in BMR in this example would be due to differences in bodily function (faster heartbeat, etc.) and not just some arbitrary metabolic rate dictated by genetics.

A higher resting heart rate is not necessarily an indication of a higher BMR/RMR.

Of course differences in BMR/RMR are due to differences in bodily function. But, what causes those differences?

Lean body mass vs fat mass is a part of BMR/RMR; you can increase your BMR/RMR by increasing your lean body mass but it's really a very very small difference, 5 or 6 calories per day per pound of muscle. Previous history with diet and exercise may impact an individual's BMR/RMR at a point in time, though scientific research still doesn't quite agree on how significant that impact is. And an individual may have a hormonal imbalance impacting energy consumption (hypothyroidism, for example) that can be corrected through medicine. Other than that...seems like it's pretty darn arbitrary and probably in large part genetic, though environmental factors I'm sure come into play to some degree. My best knowledge is that there are no scientific studies that have identified any further factors causing variance in BMR/RMR.

I'll give you an example. Depending on the RMR calculation you use, my RMR (as measured several times by indirect calorimetry in a medical setting) is approximately 500 calories per day less than the mean for someone my sex/age/weight/height/lean body mass, which puts me outside even the 2nd standard deviation. Clearly my body does function very differently from most people's. But why? FFM has already been taken into account, I have no identifiable/treatable hormonal imbalances or other medical issues, I haven't recently lost a large amount of weight. Maybe it's genetics, maybe it's all the lead paint chips I ate as a kid, who knows. But something absolutely is arbitrarily directing my body to use less energy than what's typical.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Well, no, not quite.

A higher resting heart rate is not necessarily an indication of a higher BMR/RMR.

I wasn't saying that it was. I just offered it up as an example of a possible factor as a faster heartbeat burns more calories than a slower hearbeat.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

No...just no...

The slow down in marginal and in most cases undetectable. As others have already stated this is due to decreased activity and loss of muscle mass.