Need some reassurance

Options
Usually I'm in a good place regarding my progress. I came to this site to lose the 30lb I had gained back in a year. So far I've lost 14lb, averaging 0.5lb per week. I'm also attempting recomp and have gained around 1lb of muscle. It has been around 200 days but I was injured for several months where I had to switch my focus to maintenance and healing during that time.

Last night I cleaned out my closet and tried on some of my goal clothes. They made me feel so fat and like I still have so far to go. They were so tight they hurt. Now I'm beating myself up and feeling like what I've done isn't good enough. Please tell me some of you have felt this way on your journey too? How do you refocus and push through when feeling defeated?

Replies

• LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You're almost halfway to your goal!!! 14 lbs is a huge amount, especially considering you had an injury. You've done a great job!

Its completely normal to feel the way you do right now. There are a lot of ups and downs on this journey. A lot of days you eat too much, don't exercise enough, have that extra beer, and then beat yourself up for it. Do you have any "before" pictures or "fat" clothes? Now might be a good time to break those out and remind yourself how far you've actually come! Its unrealistic for us to believe that we'll never get knocked down, but what makes us who we are is how many times we get up. You've really done a fantastic job and that will only continue now that you've healed.

you got this.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I love that you are doing it slowly. I really think we have a better chance of having normal or close to normal hunger hormone levels by losing it slowly so we are far less likely to gain again. Imagine fitting into those goal clothes now (because you lost it quickly) but then regaining again in a few months time. That would be worse wouldn't it?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I love that you are doing it slowly. I really think we have a better chance of having normal or close to normal hunger hormone levels by losing it slowly so we are far less likely to gain again. Imagine fitting into those goal clothes now (because you lost it quickly) but then regaining again in a few months time. That would be worse wouldn't it?

Good point. I'm here because I gained some back. I really want this to be the last time.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    You're almost halfway to your goal!!! 14 lbs is a huge amount, especially considering you had an injury. You've done a great job!

Its completely normal to feel the way you do right now. There are a lot of ups and downs on this journey. A lot of days you eat too much, don't exercise enough, have that extra beer, and then beat yourself up for it. Do you have any "before" pictures or "fat" clothes? Now might be a good time to break those out and remind yourself how far you've actually come! Its unrealistic for us to believe that we'll never get knocked down, but what makes us who we are is how many times we get up. You've really done a fantastic job and that will only continue now that you've healed.

you got this.

Thanks for the reminder. I just donated 3 pairs of leggings that I wore when I started because they are too stretched out to stay up right.