I'm thinking of adding coconut oil to my diet. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• schenkzachary2016
    schenkzachary2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride, this means it does not need a transport mechanism to get into the muscle cell to be used as energy. That is why the research shows it can improve fat oxidation. It is important in low carb and keto diets. The emphasis of these diets are to program your body to choose fat instead of carbs as its perferred fuel source.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride, this means it does not need a transport mechanism to get into the muscle cell to be used as energy. That is why the research shows it can improve fat oxidation. It is important in low carb and keto diets. The emphasis of these diets are to program your body to choose fat instead of carbs as its perferred fuel source.

please post said research showing that it improves fat oxidation...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's fat...it's not magic fat...it's 120 calories per Tbsp of fat...it's delicious...I cook with it regularly, as I do with butter, avocado oil, and olive oil.

It's a healthy, tasty fat...but it's not magic....
    Nutritionist here! :)

There is very strong scientific evidence that healthy fats:

Cardiovascular protection (though there is less evidence for protecting against heart failure)
    Improve body composition
    Alleviate depression

Average evidence that they:

Prevent cancers
    Preserve memory
    Preserve eye health
    Reduce incidence of aggressive behaviour
    Reduce ADHD and ADD symptoms

Coconut oil is high in medium chain fatty acids which do offer health benefits. It also has a long shelf life.

As long as you are getting a good balance of saturated,(which coconut oil is, but remember, also unique because of the medium chain fatty acids) mono-saturated and poly-saturated fats, you will be fine.

Portion control is key!

Yeah...I'd like to see actual evidence of this...those are some pretty bold claims on your part there...and I don't believe them for a second.
  • schenkzachary2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12975635
    "Medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) consumption has been shown to increase energy expenditure (EE) and lead to greater losses of the adipose tissue in animals and humans"

• schenkzachary2016
    Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12532160
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

But in the end if body comp was not different I don't see the benefit...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Our bodies are designed to switch energy (fuel) pathways when needed. I do not believe we can "program" our bodies to do anything. I can only imagine what kind of damage we would do to ourselves if we really had that much control...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's a meta-analysis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25636220

"Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) may result in negative energy balance and weight loss through increased energy expenditure and lipid oxidation. However, results from human intervention studies investigating the weight reducing potential of MCTs, have been mixed....

Thirteen trials (n=749) were identified. Compared with LCTs, MCTs decreased body weight (-0.51 kg [95% CI-0.80 to -0.23 kg]; P<0.001; I(2)=35%); waist circumference (-1.46 cm [95% CI -2.04 to -0.87 cm]; P<0.001; I(2)=0%), hip circumference (-0.79 cm [95% CI -1.27 to -0.30 cm]; P=0.002; I(2)=0%), total body fat (standard mean difference -0.39 [95% CI -0.57 to -0.22]; P<0.001; I(2)=0%), total subcutaneous fat (standard mean difference -0.46 [95% CI -0.64 to -0.27]; P<0.001; I(2)=20%), and visceral fat (standard mean difference -0.55 [95% CI -0.75 to -0.34]; P<0.001; I(2)=0%). No differences were seen in blood lipid levels. Many trials lacked sufficient information for a complete quality assessment, and commercial bias was detected. Although heterogeneity was absent, study designs varied with regard to duration, dose, and control of energy intake.

CONCLUSIONS:
    Replacement of LCTs with MCTs in the diet could potentially induce modest reductions in body weight and composition without adversely affecting lipid profiles. However, further research is required by independent research groups using large, well-designed studies to confirm the efficacy of MCT and to determine the dosage needed for the management of a healthy body weight and composition."

If you look at the numbers, however, even the ones that seem to support a positive effect are quite small, a lot less than what one gets simply from controlling calories in some way, and the amount of coconut oil (or MCTs) consumed is quite high. Even if there were a small effect (as yet an open question), would it be worth the trade-off given that coconut oil is just fat and doesn't really contribute other nutrients?
  • schenkzachary2016
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Our bodies are designed to switch energy (fuel) pathways when needed. I do not believe we can "program" our bodies to do anything. I can only imagine what kind of damage we would do to ourselves if we really had that much control...

You said it yourself, our bodies switch fuel preferences when needed. Diet and exercise is how we create an environment that changes the primary fuel source.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options

Anytime a person increase dietary fat consumption and decreases carbohydrate consumption, guess what happens? That is right, fat oxidation is increased. What is actually important.. the key for body fat loss, is the net effect of carb oxidation + fat oxidation. There is no difference in body fat loss, if calories are controlled and protein is controlled under isocaloric conditions. Protein control is important as it's a thermogenic and has been shown to increase EE.
  • schenkzachary2016
    Options

It's not a magic supplement. Proper diet, resistance training, and overall daily energy expenditure are how you alter your body composition.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Even if he does, fat oxidation doesn't mean diddly in terms of net body fat loss out of the context of energy balance. That oxidized fat can be reabsorbed or re-esterized or whatever the proper term is.
  • schenkzachary2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

"Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) may result in negative energy balance and weight loss through increased energy expenditure and lipid oxidation. However, results from human intervention studies investigating the weight reducing potential of MCTs, have been mixed....

Thirteen trials (n=749) were identified. Compared with LCTs, MCTs decreased body weight (-0.51 kg [95% CI-0.80 to -0.23 kg]; P<0.001; I(2)=35%); waist circumference (-1.46 cm [95% CI -2.04 to -0.87 cm]; P<0.001; I(2)=0%), hip circumference (-0.79 cm [95% CI -1.27 to -0.30 cm]; P=0.002; I(2)=0%), total body fat (standard mean difference -0.39 [95% CI -0.57 to -0.22]; P<0.001; I(2)=0%), total subcutaneous fat (standard mean difference -0.46 [95% CI -0.64 to -0.27]; P<0.001; I(2)=20%), and visceral fat (standard mean difference -0.55 [95% CI -0.75 to -0.34]; P<0.001; I(2)=0%). No differences were seen in blood lipid levels. Many trials lacked sufficient information for a complete quality assessment, and commercial bias was detected. Although heterogeneity was absent, study designs varied with regard to duration, dose, and control of energy intake.

CONCLUSIONS:
    Replacement of LCTs with MCTs in the diet could potentially induce modest reductions in body weight and composition without adversely affecting lipid profiles. However, further research is required by independent research groups using large, well-designed studies to confirm the efficacy of MCT and to determine the dosage needed for the management of a healthy body weight and composition."

If you look at the numbers, however, even the ones that seem to support a positive effect are quite small, a lot less than what one gets simply from controlling calories in some way, and the amount of coconut oil (or MCTs) consumed is quite high. Even if there were a small effect (as yet an open question), would it be worth the trade-off given that coconut oil is just fat and doesn't really contribute other nutrients?

A lot of people add healthy fats into their diet. As long as you are staying within your daily calories, it can't hurt. Worth the trade off? That's subjective. People who are doing keto or low carb diets need the fat because fat is their primary fuel source. Do they need coconut oil? No, but why not take in a fat that can improve overall fat oxidation?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

CONCLUSIONS:

A lot of people add healthy fats into their diet. As long as you are staying within your daily calories, it can't hurt. Worth the trade off? That's subjective. People who are doing keto or low carb diets need the fat because fat is their primary fuel source. Do they need coconut oil? No, but why not take in a fat that can improve overall fat oxidation?

Overall fat oxidation that results in fat loss is still going to be dependent on calories.

Equating calories and protein over time, eating certain foods like coconut oil isn't going improve fat loss preferentially.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

CONCLUSIONS:

For two reasons: more fat oxidation due to MCT does not translate to weight loss, at least not any more than any other type of fat in any meaningful way, and coconut flavordoes not go well with everything taste-wise so consuming a lot of your fat in coconut oil (which isn't pure MCT mind you) means sacrificing the quality of some of your dishes for a negligible effect. That's majoring in minors and putting more effort into what makes 0.1% of weight loss than what makes 99.9%, that is calories and adherence. Now if you love the taste and can't get enough of it even with eggs, that's a different story.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

CONCLUSIONS:

People have fats in their diet, and there are lots of healthy fats -- olive oil, the fat in salmon, the fat in nuts and seeds, the fat in avocado, and perhaps coconut oil, although that's not normally what is meant by the term. The question is whether there's a value to eating a huge amount of coconut oil -- for example, in one of the studies you cited, 40% of the diet (roughly two-thirds of that being MCT). (In a diet that is 2000 calories, that's 800 calories from coconut oil.) I would personally argue that replacing these other sources of healthful fats with just coconut oil to get to that huge number is probably not beneficial. Is exchanging cooking oil from olive oil or other options to virgin coconut oil going to be beneficial? Probably not going to see any difference, given the small effects to start with (even for the studies showing an effect) and the amount we are talking about. So back to my original answer: it really doesn't matter, consume it if you like it.
  • dgriggan
    dgriggan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read that medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) (coconut oil is contains MCTs) are metabolized differently than long-chain triglycerides. I also read that they MCTs are rapidly broken down and absorbed into the body. Read more in the following article: https://authoritynutrition.com/mct-oil-101/
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I use it every now and then but don't go out of my way to use it every day either. I prefer olive oil and avocado over coconut oil as a fat. Now if I'm feeling snacky and I have the calorie room, I'll make a fat bomb using coconut oil and low sugar peanut butter, freeze it and have it as a treat. It's not a miracle cure all, but certainly healthy for you.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said coconut oil isn't any better then a good olive oil. If you like the taste, sure go for it but it's not healthier for you. Just make sure it fits in your calorie count for the day.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Nutritionist here! :)

There is very strong scientific evidence that healthy fats:

Cardiovascular protection (though there is less evidence for protecting against heart failure)
    Improve body composition
    Alleviate depression

Average evidence that they:

Prevent cancers
    Preserve memory
    Preserve eye health
    Reduce incidence of aggressive behaviour
    Reduce ADHD and ADD symptoms

Coconut oil is high in medium chain fatty acids which do offer health benefits. It also has a long shelf life.

As long as you are getting a good balance of saturated,(which coconut oil is, but remember, also unique because of the medium chain fatty acids) mono-saturated and poly-saturated fats, you will be fine.

Portion control is key!

Sources?