Does it matter if I skip core?

Options
2»

Replies

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You probably hate it because you have a weak core. I was the same way but it's become a major focus of mine lately because I realized it was a weakness. It has helped posture, back pain, how I look in that area, my sex life, my yoga life, balance, and so much more. Once you get started training in the core, you'll see. Totally worth it!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If all you want to do is lose weight, then no, you can skip it. I don't recommend it, but that's the answer.

If you ever plan to do strength training or do much of anything physical, you probably won't want to. From a health standpoint, if there is only time to work one area, the core would be a fairly excellent choice given the amount of injuries that those areas get as we age. Additionally, if you plan to do strength training, you will probably find that your core is what is holding you back from progress - you might even hurt yourself because of its weakness.

There are a TON of exercises for the core. As has been stated, some are not even "core" exercises, but get the job done. Find something you like and at least try to throw it into the mix once a week or so.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Since most of us sit for work (which weakens the core) working on core strength is essential to avoid back pain and being able to move well now and long into old age.

This is a neat video from Dan John on what he calls the get back up. I do this as a warm up and a few sets of ab roller exercises, plus I limit the resistance training I do sitting down or lying on a bench. Seems to work well for me in the core strength area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E
  • IrRevd
    IrRevd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    on re-reading the op, i'm curious about what 'induction' is.

question may be ot, so disregard if you feel an explanation would derail things.

Induction is when you are new to the gym, show you how to use the cardii machines, weight machines etc. It's just an introduction to the gym really.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have to go back and revise my comments above a bit. I guess I do work core regularly--I do farmer's carries, waiter's walks, and goblet walks. They aren't what I tend to think of when I think of core work but they do work core and I do one or the other at the end of most strength workouts.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    My core gets worked automatically. So, I don't worry about it. But, if it's something you want to do, then do it. If not, then don't do it. It's not necessary. Nothing is necessary, just eating, breathing, and paying taxes is all that is required. Other than that, pretty much everything in life is optional. Choose wisely.

not if your donald trump. :unamused:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    If you're just trying lose weight, then you don't NEED to exercise at all. But at the same time don't expect to be physically fit to do other things that do involve a strong/decent core.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    core work is like flossing. i know i 'should' do it 100%, aka every day.

I like than analogy.

Think of a strong core as the foundation for almost all other activities and, unless you're determined to have six pack abs, doesn't take a great of time (eg runnersworld.com/workouts/lolo-jones-core-workout 3 x 15 min weekly)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Why would you want your body to not have a strong foundation (core?). All cardio and no strength training is not smart programming IMHO.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    IrRevd wrote: »
    on re-reading the op, i'm curious about what 'induction' is.

question may be ot, so disregard if you feel an explanation would derail things.

Induction is when you are new to the gym, show you how to use the cardii machines, weight machines etc. It's just an introduction to the gym really.

ahhhh. i just thought it was some other programme. like wendler, phul, etc.

that or you'd joined the marines. but i couldn't see you asking if you could skip core in the marines. from what i hear that isn't even a question with them. i'm not sure they have questions, now that i think about it.

carry on then.

• Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I made core exercises my last priority for the longest time UNTIL I started experiencing back spasms. The cure? Core. Guess which exercise group moved up in the priority line?
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Because I loathe burpees, I think core work is almost like a vacation! Maybe because my core strength has improved greatly?? I dunno but I LOVE Pilates because of the core work.