Baby Food Recipes

Options
Not sure if this is the right board to post this on but any way...

Right now I am pregnant and due in a few months, so starting to prepare now. Because of my allergies (wheat, barley, oat, gluten) we are going to have to make our own baby food.

I was wondering if anyone had some recipes for home made baby food, or have some ideas for interesting flavor combinations.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    but how do you know if the baby is going to have the same allergies as you?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    but how do you know if the baby is going to have the same allergies as you?

It doesn't matter if they do or not. I am so allergic to those ingredients that I can't have them in the house at all.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Plain pureed veggies are a good place to start. Beyond that, Baby can eat whatever you eat as long as the texture is manageable. Check out the latest food allergy suggestions. Restrictions that used to be pretty common have been loosened recently.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what was said above re mushed veggies. That's what I gave mine too. And a tip - mush up a whole bunch and freeze in ice-cube trays. Then when you want to use it just pop the little cubes out and defrost/heat up. made life MUCH easier. At first it was just one food - eg pumpkin - but with time I started to mix things up like pumpkin + beans + zucchini or whatever.

And now, all she eats is egg and rice. >:(
  • elphie754
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is this your first baby?

For the most part, we used regular whole foods, mushed up, when our daughter started on solids. She was EBF the first 6 months. Then over the next 6 months she ate maybe 2 T solids a day. Mashed sweet potatoes, bananas, applesauce, and prunes were her favorite. The prunes we did buy in jars but the rest was just homemade. They eat very little in the way of solids to start. At about 8 months we started just giving her regular non-mashed whole foods--half of an entire peach, large steamed broccoli stalks, homemade blueberry oat pancakes, tiny pieces of meat, etc.

Yes it is, is it that obvious? Lol. Thank you.
    Plain pureed veggies are a good place to start. Beyond that, Baby can eat whatever you eat as long as the texture is manageable. Check out the latest food allergy suggestions. Restrictions that used to be pretty common have been loosened recently.

Good to know!
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    what was said above re mushed veggies. That's what I gave mine too. And a tip - mush up a whole bunch and freeze in ice-cube trays. Then when you want to use it just pop the little cubes out and defrost/heat up. made life MUCH easier. At first it was just one food - eg pumpkin - but with time I started to mix things up like pumpkin + beans + zucchini or whatever.

And now, all she eats is egg and rice. >:(

We are likely going to buy the small baby food containers, so I can make big batches at a time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Is this your first baby?

For the most part, we used regular whole foods, mushed up, when our daughter started on solids. She was EBF the first 6 months. Then over the next 6 months she ate maybe 2 T solids a day. Mashed sweet potatoes, bananas, applesauce, and prunes were her favorite. The prunes we did buy in jars but the rest was just homemade. They eat very little in the way of solids to start. At about 8 months we started just giving her regular non-mashed whole foods--half of an entire peach, large steamed broccoli stalks, homemade blueberry oat pancakes, tiny pieces of meat, etc.

No no no :smile: I thought it might just have been your first since the allergy diagnosis.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Is this your first baby?

No no no :smile: I thought it might just have been your first since the allergy diagnosis.

Ohhh lol. I'm always full of questions about baby which is how most know it's the first lol:
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I say food allergy restrictions, I mean recommendations for when to introduce certain foods, i.e., at what age it's safe to introduce shrimp, strawberries, peanuts, etc. My original post was kind of vague haha
  • elphie754
    Options
    When I say food allergy restrictions, I mean recommendations for when to introduce certain foods, i.e., at what age it's safe to introduce shrimp, strawberries, peanuts, etc. My original post was kind of vague haha

Ahhhh okay. Wasn't quite sure what you had meant.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

We are likely going to buy the small baby food containers, so I can make big batches at a time.

"Big" batches will seriously make a ton of food in baby-sized servings--you will need many many containers to make and store an assortment of foods. A second vote for making them in silicone ice cube trays and then transferring them to a single larger container (one per flavor) once frozen--you can take just a cube or two out, thaw and feed, and not have to wash a million little jars for reuse.

Somewhat related topic--doing the same for storing breast milk, too (freeze in cubes and then transfer to a larger storage bag). I thought I was being economical storing 4 oz per bottle/bag, but at my son's childcare center they would throw away what was left in a bottle after a feeding (food safety laws)--lots and lots of my milk was thrown away. I would have been better off sending twice the amount of bottles with half of the milk--that way they could have pulled out another bottle if he was still hungry, but throw away way less milk if he wasn't (since he hadn't drunk from it).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I don't have a baby, but I do make a lot of 'baby food' to add to my sugar glider's staple food and for a picky non-veggie eating bearded dragon; mostly turkey or chicken puree for the gliders and vegetable/fruit purees for the dragons. Have been making these for years.

I basically steam veggies and meat to retain as much nutrient content as possible, then do combinations of them and store these in boiled glass jars which can be frozen, then defrost in the refrigerator as needed. I make around 50 or so jars at a time.
  • elphie754
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

"Big" batches will seriously make a ton of food in baby-sized servings--you will need many many containers to make and store an assortment of foods. A second vote for making them in silicone ice cube trays and then transferring them to a single larger container (one per flavor) once frozen--you can take just a cube or two out, thaw and feed, and not have to wash a million little jars for reuse.

Somewhat related topic--doing the same for storing breast milk, too (freeze in cubes and then transfer to a larger storage bag). I thought I was being economical storing 4 oz per bottle/bag, but at my son's childcare center they would throw away what was left in a bottle after a feeding (food safety laws)--lots and lots of my milk was thrown away. I would have been better off sending twice the amount of bottles with half of the milk--that way they could have pulled out another bottle if he was still hungry, but throw away way less milk if he wasn't (since he hadn't drunk from it).

Wow great idea, never would have thought of that.

• lacandona
    lacandona Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Look up baby led weaning. Thank me when your baby is six months old! It's really easy and a fairly old fashioned concept. Like a lot of things these days, it gets a new name and renewed interest. Your baby just eats whatever you are eating, barring choking hazards. We did this, also occasionally mashed banana or avocado, and used pouches when the mess or timing was inconvenient.

I also agree about making smaller breast milk bottles. I used plastic breast milk storage baggies for my milk. I made bottles that were less than 3 ounces each. Ain't no pain like wasted breast milk.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    lacandona wrote: »
    Look up baby led weaning. Thank me when your baby is six months old! It's really easy and a fairly old fashioned concept. Like a lot of things these days, it gets a new name and renewed interest. Your baby just eats whatever you are eating, barring choking hazards. We did this, also occasionally mashed banana or avocado, and used pouches when the mess or timing was inconvenient.

I also agree about making smaller breast milk bottles. I used plastic breast milk storage baggies for my milk. I made bottles that were less than 3 ounces each. Ain't no pain like wasted breast milk.

I did this too, you have to be careful about salt but other than that it's really convenient...And it's led to a really adventurous eater. :)
  • lacandona
    lacandona Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ours is a great eater too! Happily downed salmon, green beans, butternut squash soup and strawberries for dinner, when her friends the same age subside on pizza and bananas. Who knows, but I think giving her all kinds of food to start with helped.
    ogtmama wrote: »
    lacandona wrote: »

I did this too, you have to be careful about salt but other than that it's really convenient...And it's led to a really adventurous eater. :)

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually made 4 oz bags of milk. We froze them flat and then "filed" them standing up in Uncrustable boxes in the freezer.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

They finally figured out that all of that was pointless. The only restriction now (at least according to Alberta Health when we had our second son last year) is on honey - which the child shouldn't have until after their first birthday. (I strongly suspect that restriction should only really apply to unpasteurized honey, but they do like to be overprotective about these things and it's really not a difficult restriction to work with.)

We also did lots of fruit and/or vegetable purees. Don't puree blueberries by themselves; they have so much pectin that they turn into gel. Blueberries+bananas works nicely though (and the blueberry colour prevents you getting that brown colour that happens if you leave pureed bananas out for more than a few minutes). So do strawberries+bananas. We did strawberries+cantaloupe for a while because somebody brought us a fruit tray and neither my husband nor I like cantaloupe. On the veggie end of things, any of the orange vegetables are great (sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, etc.); just puree boiled veg with the cooking water. Also popular were peas, green beans, and broccoli. Don't puree potatoes; they turn into glue; just feed baby some mashed potatoes if you're having them.

We got a Baby Bullet and made very good use of it. Super fast and easy. Baby basically got whatever vegetable we were having for dinner.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Baby led weaning is worth considering. I just fed my babies what we ate, not ever mushed but obviously small pieces and softer foods (banana, avocado) first. It's a really chill way to go.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

They finally figured out that all of that was pointless. The only restriction now (at least according to Alberta Health when we had our second son last year) is on honey - which the child shouldn't have until after their first birthday. (I strongly suspect that restriction should only really apply to unpasteurized honey, but they do like to be overprotective about these things and it's really not a difficult restriction to work with.)

We also did lots of fruit and/or vegetable purees. Don't puree blueberries by themselves; they have so much pectin that they turn into gel. Blueberries+bananas works nicely though (and the blueberry colour prevents you getting that brown colour that happens if you leave pureed bananas out for more than a few minutes). So do strawberries+bananas. We did strawberries+cantaloupe for a while because somebody brought us a fruit tray and neither my husband nor I like cantaloupe. On the veggie end of things, any of the orange vegetables are great (sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, etc.); just puree boiled veg with the cooking water. Also popular were peas, green beans, and broccoli. Don't puree potatoes; they turn into glue; just feed baby some mashed potatoes if you're having them.

We got a Baby Bullet and made very good use of it. Super fast and easy. Baby basically got whatever vegetable we were having for dinner.

Good you asked, it's actually recommended now to feed common allergens at or before 6 months! It came as a shock to me as I have older (teenage) children and when they were babies the rules were opposite.