Quiting Soda

Options
2»

Replies

• teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Use the same method as tobacco cessation programs (the ones without pills/patches/gum/vaping/etc)... Cut down on the amount you regularly consume until you’re near zero, hold that mimimum level for a few weeks and them quit entirely. That way, the “cold turkey” kickback isn’t anywhere near as bad. Plus, you could transition into Crystal Light as part of this technique. It’ll be good for you, as carbonated beverages (whether sugared or not) are just bad news.

I used this “cut back/minimize/then quit” technique with ciggies a while ago and it worked fine. My 15th anniversary of being off tobacco is next April.
  • juniper_shores
    juniper_shores Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue! It takes a while for your palate to adjust from/ween off of the extreme sweetness of sodas without just substituting another artificially sweetened drink.

Another suggestion you could try is buy a water diffuser waterbottle (I found a pretty inexpensive one on Amazon) and try your hand at making your own flavored waters! My favorite is adding raspberries and mint leaves. Cucumber s are also very refreshing. You can find all sorts of fruit and veggie diffused water recipes on Pinterest and all over the web. Plus, I find I am more motivated to drink the water since I've taken the time to "make it" myself.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    teicu1 wrote: »
    Use the same method as tobacco cessation programs (the ones without pills/patches/gum/vaping/etc)... Cut down on the amount you regularly consume until you’re near zero, hold that mimimum level for a few weeks and them quit entirely. That way, the “cold turkey” kickback isn’t anywhere near as bad. Plus, you could transition into Crystal Light as part of this technique. It’ll be good for you, as carbonated beverages (whether sugared or not) are just bad news.

I used this “cut back/minimize/then quit” technique with ciggies a while ago and it worked fine. My 15th anniversary of being off tobacco is next April.

Wrong. What exactly is bad news about bubbles? :huh:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Nothing, especially if they are in Prosecco...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Nothing, especially if they are in Prosecco...

In for this :drinker:
  • gregoryjspen
    gregoryjspen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have quit soda for about 3 years now. Used to by a 24 pack every week. While I do have one occasionally (maybe one a month). I do not miss it. What really helped me was drinking Perrier or club soda. It had the fizz, plus I could add a splash of lime or lemon. Used to add fruit juices, but cut those out too. Now just drink straight Perrier or Peligrino. :) good luck.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey worked for me. It's been a month and it's been harder than quitting smoking. There's a carbonated cranberry juice my grocery store carries that's tasty and doesn't have added sugar. It's a nice sub as long as I'm careful not to overindulge.
  • CaliMom126
    CaliMom126 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey and dropped Diet Coke several years ago. Haven't had one since!! I started drinking water. And it was difficult. I forced myself. I would gag on water!! I got a tall insulated tumbler, with a straw. Ice water. I would force myself to take 3 big sips at a time. then 4. then 5. I drink at least 5, and i try for 8, daily. I will have the occasional root beer, but only in certain circumstances. eating at a barbeque place. is one. haha. water doesn't cut it. and i DON'T like tea. at all. i don't like flavored water. or carbonated water. When I eat out at a restaurant, it's water. or a margarita. 8-) You can do it. I did. Keep Trying!!