cheating

Options
is a cheat day (going over your cal limit) and gym days off good to have every weekend, as long as you commit during the week

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cheat days: If it makes you happy and helps your adherence.

It's a real "how long is a piece of string" question. People find different things that work for them. Some people like a cheat day/meal, others don't feel the need or feel that it will take them too far off track.\

Having a day off the gym tends to be a good thing, depending how hard you go at it. If you're just hitting the treadmill or whatnot, you probably won't do any harm going every day, but I think most people take at least one day off a week to rest. That's not cheating, resting so your body can repair is an important part of exercising regularly.
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Turn the cheat day into a cheat meal instead. It helps me keep my sanity while dieting
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's just math. You need a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound. So if your deficit is 500 calories a day and you eat 5000 calories on your cheat day... you will probably not lose much weight at all.
    Turn the cheat day into a cheat meal instead. It helps me keep my sanity while dieting

I still don't see the difference, considering that a cheat meal can be 4000 calories easily too.. in the end, you're still over at the end of the day.

Bottom line, you need a deficit to lose weight. How you achieve that is up to you. You can eat less during the week to afford a higher calorie day on week ends if it's what works for you.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    When I felt the need to indulge, I always just went up to maintenance for the day. That way you feel like you've had a satisfying day while still knowing you didn't undo anything.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you still keep your calories reasonable, then sure. If you wipe out your whole weekly deficit then it would not be a good idea. It really is about preference. Gym rest at least once a week is a very good idea.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    lilpedro13 wrote: »
    is a cheat day (going over your cal limit) and gym days off good to have every weekend, as long as you commit during the week

That's how I got to my peak weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lilpedro13 wrote: »

Not if your cheat day means you end up out-eating your weekly deficit. I'd suggest limiting it to one meal or giving yourself a day at maintenance day rather than having a cheat day. It's not impossible to out-eat a deficit at one meal but it is less likely to happen compared to having an entire day to out-eat it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Higher carb cheat meals or days can boost your metabolism actually, which is good, but try not to go way over calories (like a few hundred calories is ok, a few thousand is not). Try not to eat a ton of fat on your cheat day or drink alcohol- alcohol can have lasting negative effects for several days that hinder fat loss.

Rest days from the gym are fine- 1 or 2 rest days a week is recommended for recovery & muscle repair.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    One meal/day isn't going to sabotage your progress. Any scale weight noted will be lost within a few days as it is typically related to water retention.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat days. I work in foods I like everyday. But occasionally I go over my goal. As long as it is the exception and not the rule then I don't worry about it. I never actually go to the gym. I walk 6 or 7 days a week and do yoga at home 5 days a week. There is nothing wrong with having a rest day, and depending on the type of exercise you should have some rest days.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You are trying to eat a certain average amount every day. Whether you do that by being consistent every day, or by eating less some days and more on others, makes no difference.

But if your cheat day pulls the whole average up too high, it will stop you losing weight.

It's that simple. You are not trying to follow a set of arbitrary rules that you need to "cheat" from, you are trying to reduce how much you eat over the course of the week. You are free to do that any way you choose. It's all about the numbers.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Cheat days, while they work for some... tend to paint certain foods as "bad". Therefore, you're cheating on your loving diet with the home-wrecking philanderer Ice Cream or whatever.

That's cool if it works for you.

I find "cheat days" to be overrated and even counterproductive (unless aligned to some training goal where you pound more calories for long duration/intense workouts/events)- making regular days hard and something you have to "suffer" through to reach that one day... that one meal!... where you can eat what you like.

In short, why not simply build what you like into your calorie/macro count? You won't get fat. And it's sustainable without creating a lifestyle change most people simply don't adhere to long term.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals or cheat days seem to throw a switch in my brain, and I'm unable to stop. I just can't do them. Everyone is different though, and if it works for you, go for it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Define "cheat day". I typically eat at maintenance (or a few calories over) once a week. I find that helpful for making my life work.

If you want to pig out, though, that can easily counteract your deficit for the rest of the week.

Personally, I don't "work out" every day. If you're lifting heavy, you need a day off between sessions for recovery. You *could* do cardio every day, but I prefer not to. And there are lots of ways to have an active life on your days off from the gym.
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    1) have a cheat meal not a cheat day. A day can get out of control way too easily.
    2) don't do it once a week. Once a month would be less damaging. Or just when an occasion pops up.
    3) accept that if your going to pig out on that meal, you may not lose weight that week.

As others have said....it's all maths and a matter of cals In v cals out.

I just decide if it's an occasion, like a birthday or wedding then I make a conscious decision to enjoy it or to have a some fattening food or wine if I want. But I also don't necessarily expect to have lost anything when I step on the scales next!

If your in this for the long haul, the odd meal off won't be that significant.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Log your cheat day/meal calories.

and you'll see if the splurge is worth it or not. Don't know, until you try it :)

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Words of wisdom that a friend gave me : Make your cheat meal Sunday afternoon / nite.
    And then start out the week (ie Monday) back on track.

If your cheat day/meal is Fri or Sat, you might be more inclined to just say "screw it", and blow off the whole weekend.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    When I felt the need to indulge, I always just went up to maintenance for the day. That way you feel like you've had a satisfying day while still knowing you didn't undo anything.
    Me also. I figure that if I eat at maintenance every once in a while it is still a little mini diet break but doesn't cause a gain because it isn't over TDEE.