Gaining muscle

Options
I want to gain as much muscle possible, so how often should I do cardio? What intensity and how long?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The things you need to gain muscle are 1. a calorie surplus, and 2. a good, progressive lifting program.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The things you need to gain muscle are 1. a calorie surplus, and 2. a good, progressive lifting program.

And adequate protein intake.

Cardio has very little to do with gaining muscle. In fact, too much of it can be detrimental to muscle gains.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lilpedro13 wrote: »
    I want to gain as much muscle possible, so how often should I do cardio? What intensity and how long?

depends how much extra you fancy eating?!
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to build muscle. I would like to gain 10-12 lbs in the next 3 months. I know it won't be all muscle, but I just want to be as strong as possible and maybe move up a weight class for a powerlifting meet in January. I try to eat more than 4,000 calories and 250g of protein per day. Carbs and fat fluctuate daily to whatever I can eat to hit my calorie goal. I lift 5 days a week following Layne Norton's PH3 trainer and sometimes do a short 20-30 minute interval workout on a stationary bike once a week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

And adequate protein intake.

Cardio has very little to do with gaining muscle. In fact, too much of it can be detrimental to muscle gains.

And how that the OP is already fairly low in body fat and has good genetics. Largely, a natural male will gain around 2 lbs of muscle a month.

Also OP, how new are you to lifting? What are your stats? Do you follow a structured lifting program yet?